Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Mazda unveils a Targa Miata
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rand
Not sure what to think yet, but interesting.

More here: New MX5

IPB Image
tweet
It's about time they did something interesting with the Miata.
turk22
great looking coupe look, but could they have come up with a more complicated way to convert the roof?
WTF.gif

a $20k solution to a 100 dollar problem.
Sleepin
http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/news-2017-...ding-targa-top/

Looks complicated. I like it though. smile.gif
JmuRiz
Why not give the full hardtop everyone has been wanting for years?
Andyrew
I would have thought that the weight concious miata would have gone for a cloth targa to keep the price and weight down...
flmont
Yea,..not that cool looking ...
cooper951
Slick.
boxsterfan
Targa drop method stolen from the latest 911 Targa (997 series I think).
stugray
Nice!

Kind of reminds me of my current DD:

IPB Image

IPB Image

However the scale of the ass end just looks a little bit wrong on the Miata.
The 914 has better proportions with the rear end IMO.

I just dont like having the driver so far back from the CG like in the BMW Z4:
IPB Image

But I might reconsider a miata now.
I have never been a fan of soft tops since I actually rolled a car.
That's why my next car will likely be a Cayman instead of a Boxster.
Ferg
T Tops would have been better.
TheCabinetmaker
Like putting lipstick on a pig. It's still a pig.
maf914
QUOTE(stugray @ Mar 23 2016, 10:38 AM) *

Nice!
But I might reconsider a miata now.
I have never been a fan of soft tops since I actually rolled a car.
That's why my next car will likely be a Cayman instead of a Boxster.

I am not sure a folding hard top will give you much roll over protection. idea.gif
Bulldog9
Meh, I initially thought wow.... But as soon as the Mr Wizard top went into action they lost me..... Just give me a simple clamp on light weight panel please....... What is it with society and making everything automatic??? What made the Miata special (for girls ;-) ) was the light weight simplicity of the car. They are definitely going upscale, while I think it is cool, I'd prefer a simple panel. I'd love to see the FRSA or BRZ as a Targa or removeable roof car. I almost bought one a few years ago, but the M3 is paid for and just too good to give up.
ThePaintedMan
WTF.gif Some folks are arguing about wanting a true removable targa, while others talk about BRZs and M3s? I think the problem is if you want to sell a car, you have to be able to sell it to the masses. These days, the masses want power everything. We did it to ourselves. You want a roots sportscar? Try the Ginetta G4 or a Caterham. I think Mazda did a decent job here.
Chris H.
I don't mind it. The guy in the drivers seat looks irritated though biggrin.gif . He has a "who farted?" look.
buck toenges
The side view Kinda reminds me of an Opel gt
stugray
QUOTE(maf914 @ Mar 23 2016, 02:40 PM) *

I am not sure a folding hard top will give you much roll over protection. idea.gif

You would be surprised! When sliding across the road on the top with no roof, a 1" diameter tree branch could kill you. I'll take that extra layer of sheet metal anyday.
But I agree, that flimsy metal they use today is nothing compared to the roof of a Karman Ghia :-)

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Mar 24 2016, 09:40 AM) *

I don't mind it. The guy in the drivers seat looks irritated though biggrin.gif . He has a "who farted?" look.

No that's the "They put ME in charge of this Million Dollar prototype! If ANYONE BUT ME TOUCHES IT they will pull back a bloody stump" look.
ssuperflyoldguy
Corporate Sports Car Design Institute came up with it by market research no doubt.
Rand
I am not sure a folding hard top will give you much roll over protection.

Really?? Considering the predecessors are roadsters?
The point of the targa isn't to provide roll over protection.
Could add a bar or cage if you are worried about rolling your ride. wacko.gif
Cairo94507
I like it. Sure I would have preferred a top like our great cars, but either way I am happy with the improvement/option.
RickS
Big fan of Miatas. Drove a good friends 06 and even though it is not fast (stock) it handles really well and is oh so comfortable.

The new one is a huge improvement over the collagen fender bulges of the last series. Great looking car and the targa is a safe alternative to a cloth top when it comes to hooligans with knives.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.