Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OH NO! A 918 with only 92 miles on the ODO
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete000
Yikes ! I think it would take the factory to be able to put that one back together.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(pete000 @ Mar 23 2016, 03:12 PM) *

Yikes ! I think it would take the factory to be able to put that one back together.

I saw Car & Driver or Road & Track post this on facebook a couple of days ago. I suggested that someone buy it and try and fit the V8 it a 914, lol.

I'm curious, is the driver blaming Porsche for the accident? rolleyes.gif

This does remind me of the Enzo that Ferrari put back together after it was split in half and then sold it for 1.8 Million.
SirAndy
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Mar 23 2016, 01:19 PM) *

Obvious case of too much money and not enough driver ...
dry.gif
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 23 2016, 05:35 PM) *

Obvious case of too much money and not enough driver ...
dry.gif

agree.gif Gonna be a lot of that over the next few years, like the Carrera GT.
EdwardBlume
Conversion 914?
Mueller
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Mar 23 2016, 01:19 PM) *

QUOTE(pete000 @ Mar 23 2016, 03:12 PM) *

I saw Car & Driver or Road & Track post this on facebook a couple of days ago. I suggested that someone buy it and try and fit the V8 it a 914, lol.

This does remind me of the Enzo that Ferrari put back together after it was split in half and then sold it for 1.8 Million.

Supposedly the motor weighs just a little over 300 pounds...just a tad bit heavier than a Type IV...I'd love to see the exhaust poke out of the engine lid!
jor
At least someone tried driving it. It's always sad when these cars are bought only to be hidden away in storage until resold as a zero-miles collector-car.

I hope the occupants are okay -- the crash safety seems to look pretty good, doesn't it?
RickS
Gas Monkey Garage will probably buy it, paint it baboon-butt red slap on their logos and sell it at Auction. Get you some of that.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Mar 23 2016, 04:11 PM) *

Gonna be a lot of that over the next few years, like the Carrera GT.

I don't think so. dry.gif
Everything I have read says the Carrera GT was extremely difficult to handle and the 918 is much more forgiving and driver friendly.
I am sure there will still be those who are penalized for breaking the laws of physics, just not as many.
ThePaintedMan
I have heard that too. The Carrera GT was a monster and not as well balanced as the 918 is apparently. I guess I was more suggesting that whenever a supercar comes out, it's only a matter of time before we see those articles with them wrapped around a telephone pole. Very sad, but it happens.
iwanta914-6
Regardless of how well balanced the 918 is, anything with 880+ HP is going to challenge any driver that decides to push the limits on public roads.

Granted, I don't know the story behind what happened to this particular 918.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(RickS @ Mar 23 2016, 07:47 PM) *

Gas Monkey Garage will probably buy it, paint it baboon-butt red slap on their logos and sell it at Auction. Get you some of that.

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
PlantMan
Lots of good parts on that car!
blink.gif
iwanta914-6
Up to $114K with almost 20 days left on the auction!
era vulgaris
QUOTE(RickS @ Mar 23 2016, 10:47 PM) *

av-943.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif
I had that exact same thought when I saw the article!
iwanta914-6
Even Walter Röhrl has crashed a 918.

http://jalopnik.com/watch-legendary-racing...pors-1712651627

1stworks
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Mar 24 2016, 07:05 AM) *

I have heard that too. The Carrera GT was a monster and not as well balanced as the 918 is apparently. I guess I was more suggesting that whenever a supercar comes out, it's only a matter of time before we see those articles with them wrapped around a telephone pole. Very sad, but it happens.

Carrera GT not well balanced I think not.

The GT is a True drivers car....
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(1stworks @ Mar 24 2016, 08:19 AM) *

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Mar 24 2016, 07:05 AM) *

Carrera GT not well balanced I think not.

The GT is a True drivers car....

Driven both for more than 1000 miles, on road and track.

The CGT was well balanced (imho, anyway) but it was severely tire-limited by its PS2s, and inspired a certain fear factor due to its binary and rudimentary traction control—you really have to be on your game. Its chassis was wonderful when you got used to it, but it wasn't easy. It's very easy to imagine crashing one. Even so, I can't think of a more thrilling Porsche to drive from any era at any price. The noises, the shifter, the directness. It's like the ultimate 914-10. I hear they are vastly improved on modern Michelin Pilot Super Sports, but haven't tried one so equipped. I can only imagine one on Pilot Sport Cup 2s.

The 918 benefits from the best street-legal tires, hands down, ever bolted up to a car—the MPSC2s—plus NASA-level driver aids, AWD, etc. It is a FAR faster car, effectively, yet it's hard to imagine crashing one, unless the driver is out there at the very edges (Röhrl, I would imagine), or makes a massively poor judgment call. I had a hairy moment in a 918 at 165+ mph on the way to a turn when another 918 materialized out of the pit exit on my line to Turn 1. Had I been in a CGT, I have no doubt things would have gotten ugly. In the 918, corner entry was still clumsy on a new line, but I got slowed down enough to skip a trip into the kitty litter.
zipedadoo
QUOTE(RickS @ Mar 23 2016, 07:47 PM) *

No....they would put that awesome clear-coat on to seal in the patina. No paint necessary.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.