Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
D-Jet
I have another noob question. The PO (one of the POs I should say) painted my car a color that I would call "rust" if it were on any other car. Skline calls it "root beer" which is far less confusing. My first qustion is how do I find out what the original color of the car was? My second question is about getting a new paint job. Stripping, priming and all that stuff. How much does that usually cost, where's a good place in SoCal to get that done and so on. In other words, tell me all things PAINT! Thanks again everybody. cool.gif

Great paint page:

914 Colors

--G
redshift
Code in your driver's side door jamb tells you.

If it's 'paint to match', go look under the paint you have now, inside the front hood, in a hard place to reach.

M
Rusty
If you know Scott, then get in contact with Doctor Evil (Mike).

He has the hookup with Los Panchos in Mexico. They are reputed to do excellent work. (At least, I sure hope so, as they have my car right now... courtesy of the Doc.)

-Rusty smoke.gif
MecGen
Wow
Kinda a big question...can't help with the paint code but
for the strip/paint, no bodywork, get ready to dish out 3000$ to 4000$. sometimes the more you strip yourself, the cheaper, but check with the painter so there is no conflicks in material combinations
Regards
Joe

beerchug.gif
D-Jet
Man you guys are fast. I'll talk to Scott. In the mean time, where on the door jam exactly?

--G
Mueller
I got a qoute today for paint only, I do all the bodywork, all the masking and prep...all they do is buy the paint, roll the car into thier booth and spray it... $1000.00

I almost told him to KMA, I spec'd cheap single stage paint and the job would take them an hour at most...
MecGen
Yo Dude
I got a qoute today for paint only, I do all the bodywork, all the masking and prep...all they do is buy the paint, roll the car into thier booth and spray it... $1000.00

Thats too much, going rate here for a strait ass paint is:
cost of materials - retail
150$ labour
50$ tip getts you a good tape/paint
No prep except a tac wipe, tape, spray, no wet sanding.
A standard quality paint job is around 2000$
My sugestion is to shop around, speciality shops are not always the best place.
Regards
Joe

beerchug.gif
skline
I think the paint code on that car was 98. The original color of that car as I recall was Silver metalic. You can tell by looking under the engine pad in the back. I thought 98 meant special color. Someone here can correct me if I am wrong. I would take it to Mexico and have Los Panchos do it. You wont find anyone local with the experience they have with these cars and the low price they will do it for.

By the way, how is it running? Are you coming down for the BBQ?
scotty914
well its nice to have friends, i have a shop who will da my car to solid paint, mask and paint with sherwin williams for 950. i have to pull the trim, door handles, etc. the body which is minimal might be a alittle more. BTW how good/bad is sherwin williams paint.
D-Jet
Cool, thanks Scott. The car is running great. It bounces a little at idle, but I figured that was normal. It's powerslides well! happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif

When's the BBQ again?
Mueller
BTW how good/bad is sherwin williams paint

holds up fine on my house biggrin.gif

didn't know they made automotive paint....then again, maybe they don't and that could explain your good deal lol2.gif
Allan
Yep, they make automotive paint.

Sherwin-Williams Automotive Paint
Mueller
QUOTE (Headrage @ Mar 25 2005, 06:54 PM)
Yep, they make automotive paint.

Sherwin-Williams Automotive Paint

How funny....I just did a search and "Porsche Red" is only available in thier cheapest range of paint...$118 a gallon
xsboost90
$118 a gallon! thats cheap! I prob. paid that for two quarts of dupont! I would never spray anything in enamel. Eurethane is the way to go dudes.
scotty914
most of their paints are urathane, they do offer enamel, and the guy does not use it.

he is basicly doing me a favor, and i will be knocking down the price even more. he just moved to a new shop and i am doing some electric work for him we will be trading labor for labor beer.gif

as well as he is giving me a 3 year warrenty against fade, peeling etc.
Hydra
WOW!!
3 grand for a paint job!!!
Here in lebanon (small country on the mediterranean, for those who don't know) i can get my car completely done including sandblasting, bodywork (+ flares) and paint (including the cost of "dupont" paint) for 2000$ and that's for a top job and i won't even have to touch a screwdiver, and if i add 800$ to that i'll get all my interior made including the cost of leather and vinyl (dash, seats, backpads, carpets and the steerring wheel, etc...)
So i guess for the cash you guys are paying it would be cheaper to ship the car over here get it fixed and ship it back biggrin.gif
MecGen
I went enamel on my teener. #1 the paint code is only availible in enamel, but can be matched to others. Back when my car was done enamel paints were still an accepted choice, on a bare metal resto, enamel holds up very well, very tough.
My painter didn't like the finishing involved in enamels, much easier, faster with the newer base/clear. So I payed him more, 3 coats of enamel, 32hrs of wetsanding/touch ups/buffing/polishing/sealing/waxing.
All with some very expensive material, 5 step polish, 80$ a gallon for each step ten years ago, of course this bodyshop owner is a buisness friend so I only payed for what he used.
Long story short, enamel sho paints can be done just with more effort = $$
Good luck with it
Regards
Joe

beerchug.gif
skline
QUOTE (D-Jet @ Mar 25 2005, 04:59 PM)
Cool, thanks Scott. The car is running great. It bounces a little at idle, but I figured that was normal. It's powerslides well! happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif

When's the BBQ again?

The BBQ is next weekend on the 2nd. It starts at around 10 and goes till everyone leaves. Should be a lot of fun and a lot of cars. Maybe even the biggest 914 event aside from the WCC in So Cal. Come on down. Learn some, laugh some and eat some.
beer.gif beerchug.gif chowtime.gif driving.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif
D-Jet
Sounds like a plan. See you then.
chowtime.gif chowtime.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beer.gif w00t.gif
--G
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.