Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just How Small Our 914s Are
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John_914
I had to take this shot of my -6 parked next to a Fiat 500. Puts it all in perspective!

Click to view attachment
Cuda911
smile.gif
JawjaPorsche
But the Fiat has a back seat..........for a pygmy!
falcor75
and you parking spaces are huuuge smile.gif
Carl456
Nice comparison!
bretth
That is funny. Looks like a toy. I drove one of those damn Fiats as a rental car, hated every thing about it. I was driving home from work the other day (not in my 914) and I was on the highway next to an 18 wheeler. I found myself wondering if the 914 could drive right under the open center of the trailer.

Brett
Mark Henry
QUOTE(John_914 @ Mar 24 2016, 03:09 AM) *

I had to take this shot of my -6 parked next to a Fiat 500. Puts it all in perspective!

Click to view attachment

Now think about this.... a Porsche Spider the top of the windshield is only about to the top of the door (body) on a 914. bye1.gif
EdwardBlume
dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 24 2016, 06:56 AM) *

Now think about this.... a Porsche Spider the top of the windshield is only about to the top of the door (body) on a 914. bye1.gif

The Spyder is small, but not that small ...

Click to view attachment
7TPorsh
This is the perspective shot that always amazes me:

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Mar 24 2016, 12:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 24 2016, 06:56 AM) *

The Spyder is small, but not that small ...

Click to view attachment

OK...at the local Porsche concours my 914 was right beside a spider kitcar, maybe it is just my opinion but it was fraking small.
horizontally-opposed
Have a 1973 914 and a 2013 Abarth. Always smile when I see that how much taller the Abarth is. It does look like an SUV next to a 914.

However, as smart as the 914 is when it comes to packaging (and that's very smart), it pales in comparison to the Fiat 500's packaging intelligence. The Abarth is 15 inches shorter, and can seat four real adults quite comfortably—for real, nobody believes it until they try it—while still offering a decent trunk (for a small car). It's a bit of a four-wheeled magic trick that way.

The 2,500-pound, 160+hp Abarth also surprises when it comes to real-world pace and fun factor, and utterly shreds the 914 when it comes to utility and usability in the modern world—with great HVAC, great seats, modern safety equipment, little wind noise, reasonably quiet freeway cruising if you swap to Michelins, and all necessary creature comforts plus some you don't expect in a $23,000 car (that can be had for $17-21k new, without haggling). There are some fit-finish issues, the gauges are awful, the Trump Tower seating position takes some getting used to, the turning circle rivals the Exxon Valdez, and the no-muffler exhaust system annoys the neighbors, but these little cars might produce more grins than anything else on the new car market. Did I just say that?

If one had to go, it would be the Abarth, but I didn't expect to like this Italian crap can as much as I do.
TJB/914
Our 914's are taller than the 904. w00t.gif
Tom
TJB/914
Ford GT-40's about the same height & length as our 914's.
BTW: They are faster cost more. happy11.gif
Tom
Andyrew
Thats a ford GT, not a GT40. The GT40 is the 70's racecar that was only 40" tall, the Ford GT is 44.3" tall.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Mar 24 2016, 01:09 PM) *
The 2,500-pound, 160+hp Abarth ... [has a] turning circle rivals the Exxon Valdez...

That's curious, because the non-Abarth 500 that I test drove had a nice tight turning circle! It could easily do a 180 on a ~1.5-lane road. (Regular 2 laner with a car parked on one side.)

--DD
Valy
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Mar 24 2016, 01:56 PM) *

Tom

Faster, more expensive AND has no tits...
rgalla9146
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Mar 24 2016, 12:38 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Amazing perspective........ pointed the wrong way at Spa ?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Valy @ Mar 24 2016, 08:23 PM) *

QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Mar 24 2016, 01:56 PM) *

Tom

Faster, more expensive AND has no tits...

.....and no barbecue grill
Cuda911
Here's mine next to a "real" Abarth.
Bulldog9
WOW.............. I've never seen one of those in real life, or next to another car. I always assumed they were BIG cars.

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Mar 24 2016, 12:38 PM) *

Click to view attachment

horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Mar 24 2016, 05:37 PM) *

Here's mine next to a "real" Abarth.

Would be fun to see a four-car pic—old and new Abarths with a 914 and 981...
larryM
perspective -

and - why it is a bitch to drive at night

Click to view attachment
Wyvern
How about next to a Mini ( my son and I at C & C .... both '73)

Click to view attachment
sb914
Click to view attachment this guy has a huge,well maybe not!
Big Len
The Vette was huge side by side.

Click to view attachment
thelogo
QUOTE(larryM @ Mar 25 2016, 08:30 PM) *

perspective -

and - why it is a bitch to drive at night

Click to view attachment

If your always faster then all they see is from behind ,
Very low profile and hard to see at a distance
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Big Len @ Mar 26 2016, 05:36 AM) *

The Vette was huge side by side.

I still remember going to the movies once and parking my 914 next to a Vette. I looked back and forth, and realized that the rear deck of the Vette was just about level with the roof of my 914. "Wow, and I had thought the Corvette was a small car!"

--DD
JeffBowlsby
smile.gif
Cal
Not a 914 but.....
Justinp71
Wow that 911 (or 912?) looks like a toy car...
maf914
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Apr 5 2016, 09:26 PM) *

Yeah. Something just doesn't look right in this photo. idea.gif That Corolla looks huge compared to the Porsche. A guy down the street from me has a Corolla and a Boxter in his driveway and the size difference is not so extreme, but maybe a Boxter is much chunkier than an early 911/912.

Cal, did you take the photo? If so, what type camera, lens, perspective, etc.?
7TPorsh
QUOTE(maf914 @ Apr 6 2016, 06:21 AM) *

Yeah. Something just doesn't look right in this photo. idea.gif That Corolla looks huge compared to the Porsche. A guy down the street from me has a Corolla and a Boxter in his driveway and the size difference is not so extreme, but maybe a Boxter is much chunkier than an early 911/912.

The stalls are slanted and the 911 is parked further up and away from the camera. Also the 911 is looking straight on where the Toyota you see the side perspective.

Still looks damn small.
Cal
QUOTE(maf914 @ Apr 6 2016, 09:21 AM) *

Sorry, I didn't take the photo.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.