Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Battery is in your 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NS914
Hey Everyone,
I was speaking with Jeff Bowlsby yesterday...a great website by the way for all things electrical...but I am about to buy a battery for my car. Can you speak to what battery (and specific model in the case of Optima etc.) you have chosen for your car and why.

I have heard good and bad about Optima (they are very expensive here in Canada) but I want to get the best for my car. I have not truly confirmed the difference between Yellow and Red either just in case anyone can chime in on that.

In my case, I have relocated the battery to the front of the car and really have no power options to speak of in terms of additional load. Its a '74 1.8 which has since been increased to 2.0 with Weber Carbs (dual 40's)

Much thanks to all of you. I promise to post a video when I get this thing going!!!

Grant
johannes
The cheapest 2016 battery is way better than a 1970 one.
mepstein
Optima red top. 5 years old. Sat in the garage for 4 years then I charged it, put it in the car and it works perfectly.

When I bought my optima at Costco I confirmed that I could bring it back for an exchange or refund if I was ever dissatisfied with it. Without a time limit. Can't really beat that.
saigon71
I've been running an Optima Red Top 34 for a few years now. I know there has been some quality concerns, but mine seems to be holding up well.

A lot of folks seem to be switching to Odyssey dry cell batteries with good results.

If I need a replacement battery, I'll buy whatever is cheaper...Odyssey or Optima. Just stay away from lead-acid.
jim_hoyland
Optimus 34R; have used it for past 10 years. Starts every time on 1st turn of the key.
BTW, the 34R can be purchased on Amazon for $147 including shipping
DRPHIL914
optima- 2 years. last one was a duralast from autozone, it was not dura- last. lasted about 1 year. -0 ---- so far so good for the optima - yes, expensive. - I put one in the truck and lasted 7 years.
NS914
I knew you guys would respond quickly....I will head out to Costco at lunch and pick up an Optima.

Thanks Everyone, Grant
914Next
I'm interested too although the current battery in my car is a Diehard that was purchased in 2006 and well...just won't die! Seems quite strong yet. Of course now that I said that, I'll be needing a new battery
1stworks
Odyssey
my T4 setup...

IPB Image

My V8 set-up.Bigger Odyssey

IPB Image

Steve
Optima red top
era vulgaris
Optima red top
Shredhead
Odyssey PC925MJ (metal jacket).
gabeurgelles
Autocraft Lithium-Ion motorcycle battery LFP-4. Weighs 2 pounds and starts the car just fine. I don't know how it would do with radios and extra lights.

Click to view attachment
euro911
The 'BB' also has the Odyssey PC925 in the engine bay.
screenguy914
Several choices for batteries. However, one important factor is to prevent battery acid (more prevalent in wet, lead-acid batteries), from attacking the sheet metal chassis.

Sealed, AGM batteries (e.g. Optima, Odyssey, etc.) provide the most protection. If using a typical lead-acid battery, enclose it in a plastic Marine battery box or equiv. to keep the acid vapor contained.

Also, when comparing batteries, use the Cold Cranking Amp results (CCA). The highest numbers provide the most cranking capacity (most important in cold climates). All other capacity tests are conducted under milder and/or less stringent test conditions.

Generally speaking, battery capacity is still related to battery weight. A Red Top Optima or equivalent Odyssey, 35-43 lbs. The light weight Odyssey series and others are 11-15 lbs.

Sherwood
mepstein
QUOTE(gabeurgelles @ Mar 24 2016, 11:28 AM) *

Autocraft Lithium-Ion motorcycle battery LFP-4. Weighs 2 pounds and starts the car just fine. I don't know how it would do with radios and extra lights.

I was planning to give that a try. I figured moving to lcd lights would reduce the need for a big battery. 30+ lb weight reduction.
pilothyer
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 24 2016, 07:04 AM) *

Optimus 34R; have used it for past 10 years. Starts every time on 1st turn of the key.
BTW, the 34R can be purchased on Amazon for $147 including shipping

Is there a specific version of the 34R for the stock 914 location? (Post Orientation)
stinkindiesel

Is there a specific version of the 34R for the stock 914 location? (Post Orientation)

I believe the "R" in the part number designates the correct post position., That would be a top post, reverse polarity.

Gary
Elliot Cannon
This battery (mounted up front where is should be biggrin.gif ) has been in the car so long, I can't remember when I bought it. Of course I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday so...
Tom_T
Both Optima & Odyssey & Interstate & maybe some other sealed AGM & dry cell lead-acid, Li, etc. would work & preserve the rust-abillity nature of our 914s a bit better than .

Optima Red top is for cars, yellow top is deep cycle for RVs & campers which don't get used often, drain down 90-100% & then need full recharging often.

Some folks like yellow top for that reason if they occasionally drive their 914s/cars .... or guys like SoCalAndy who has everything YELLOW in his 914s! biggrin.gif

Note that the new batteries today made by both Optima & Interstate are NOT what the folks above with older batteries were, as they lowered their excellent 8+/- year warranty down to just 2 years a few years ago, with quality lowered as well, after they were both bought out & production moved to ..... wait for it ..... China! dry.gif

They're still good batteries, but today you're getting 1/4-1/3 the life, quality & warranty for a very expensive battery, as compared to their originals, IMHO. sad.gif

I've used their sister Interstate sealed batteries in my `85 BMW 325e E30 with the rear battery in the trunk & requiring more CCA due to the long run to the front engine, & conversely in my `88 Westy under the front seat & conversely long run to the rear engine with good luck for 20+ years, with most lasting 7-10 years.

IIRC they also have a flat-plate AGM version too, so you could use either that or Optima - with the caveat of the new shorter warranty & less quality.

Some folks also like the Exide AGM as well, which may be less costly for you up in Canada.

BTW - I'd still recco an acid neutralizer pad under any battery in a pre-zinc-treated car body.

FYI - Porsche didn't start hot-dip zinc treatment until `76 MY - EXCEPT for 914s, which 76 MY 914s were all built in 1975 & sold as 76 MY thereafter.

PS - my nefarious & as yet untried plan for my 73 2L's resto, is to mount a smaller but same CCA/V/etc. capacity Oddyssey lead-acid dry cell or another Li etc. battery inside a "blank case" for an old school Bosch battery as a "case" - so it looks OE, but runs as new tech - with the added security of the battery case serving as a battery tray/enclosure, such as those used for inside trailer battery installations to contain any leakage. happy11.gif

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
dcheek
I run Interstate batteries in all my cars. The key to long life is NEVER let them go dead and, always hook up to a smart (pulsing) charger when not in use. I can get up to 13 years out of them this way.

914 Interstate battery
MT-42
500 CCA
625 CA
Click to view attachment
Porschef

Click to view attachment

I love the idea of a lightweight lithium battery; and you've got no issues starting? Sweet, I'd think that your alternator would handle all the extraneous load demands after starting. beerchug.gif

Being the CSOB (ok, out of necessity) that I am, I have a Johnson Controls L/A batt that is hooked up to a Battery Tender. I think I'm gonna go out to the garage and make sure I haven't developed a new hell hole... barf.gif dry.gif
euro911
QUOTE(dcheek @ Mar 24 2016, 12:11 PM) *
I run Interstate batteries in all my cars. The key to long life is NEVER let them go dead and, always hook up to a smart (pulsing) charger when not in use. I can get up to 13 years out of them this way.

914 Interstate battery
MT-42
500 CCA
625 CA
Click to view attachment
I run Interstate batteries in both of the Toyota trucks. MT-35 $109. out the door aktion035.gif
gabeurgelles
QUOTE(Porschef @ Mar 24 2016, 03:21 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I love the idea of a lightweight lithium battery; and you've got no issues starting? Sweet, I'd think that your alternator would handle all the extraneous load demands after starting. beerchug.gif

Being the CSOB (ok, out of necessity) that I am, I have a Johnson Controls L/A batt that is hooked up to a Battery Tender. I think I'm gonna go out to the garage and make sure I haven't developed a new hell hole... barf.gif dry.gif

Ive had that battery for about 6 months now and no issues starting. Although it will not keep the starting running forever. It won't handle any more than about 30-45 seconds of cranking at once. Hasn't been an issue for me yet...
slotty008
I saw this last week. Very tiny.
https://en.liteblox.de/shop/liteblox-lb1180...oredirect=en_US
saigon71
QUOTE(stinkindiesel @ Mar 24 2016, 01:54 PM) *

I believe the "R" in the part number designates the correct post position., That would be a top post, reverse polarity.

Gary

If you are using a stock rain tray, go with the regular Optima 34 (not R). It puts the posts on the outside so the rain tray clears when you close the engine bay cover. I tried the 34R first and had clearance issues. headbang.gif
pete000
Optima red tops in both my 914s
Porschef
QUOTE(gabeurgelles @ Mar 24 2016, 05:16 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Ive had that battery for about 6 months now and no issues starting. Although it will not keep the starting running forever. It won't handle any more than about 30-45 seconds of cranking at once. Hasn't been an issue for me yet...

That's fine, if your car won't start after 30'seconds of cranking you've most likely got a bigger issue.
Porschef
QUOTE(gabeurgelles @ Mar 24 2016, 05:16 PM) *

Click to view attachment

That's fine, if your car won't start after 30'seconds of cranking you've most likely got a bigger issue.
913B
subscribed popcorn[1].gif biggrin.gif
patssle
The cheapest battery at Sams that has 700+ CCA. There are 3 or so battery makers in the entire world - they are all the same and they usually last many years. Unless it's something specific like a light weight battery...spending lots of money on a battery seems pointless to me.
cali914
Optima red top, rather on the heavy side but has never let me down with either my v8 914 or my v6 914..
cali914
Optima red top, rather on the heavy side but has never let me down with either my v8 914 or my v6 914..
dlkawashima
Another endorsement for the Optima Red Top. I was going to change the battery when I bought my 914 five years ago, but I'm happy I didn't because it just keeps chugging along.
Notice the purchase date: January 2005.
Geezer914
Optima Red Top, no acid corrosion issues to worry about.
Big Len
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Mar 25 2016, 04:33 AM) *

agree.gif
Big Len
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Mar 25 2016, 04:33 AM) *

agree.gif
BuddyV
Optima red

beerchug.gif
eric9144
Replaced my optima red top just a couple months back with a new one of the same...

Installed the previous one in 1998 smile.gif beerchug.gif
DCJosh
R34, right? Anyone have a picture of the R34 in their car? I want to be sure that the terminals are facing the correct way.
NS914
[quote name='dcheek' date='Mar 24 2016, 04:11 PM' post='2320045']

I will definitely follow up on a Trickle Charger. Canadian Tire has them on for $89.00 re Plus version... thanks for all of the replies. The pictures also got me to thinking more about how I will secure it to the floor as I plan to relocate it to the front. much thanks Guys!
euro911
QUOTE(DCJosh @ Apr 3 2016, 03:42 PM) *
R34, right? Anyone have a picture of the R34 in their car? I want to be sure that the terminals are facing the correct way.
Whichever type of battery you get, the terminal posts face towards the engine, the positive (+) post needs to face towards the rear of the car.
Amphicar770
Optima red in mine. The important thing is to use an AGM battery so you do not have acid attacking the battery tray or hell hole.

Optima in my Amphicar lasted 10 years. Had one in the 914 for 3 years that was replaced under warranty.

I also have AdvanceAuto AGM's in two of my daily drivers and have had good luck with those. (I think it is their "platinum series).

Order online from AdvanceAuto with a 40% coupon and pick up in store. (TRT40 worked for a long time, else look on google). Check the dates to make sure it has not been sitting for over a year. Connect to AdvanceAuto via Fatwallet and you usually save another 5% on top of coupon.
porschetub
Tiny little one race car spec but packs a punch,have been using it for electrical testing and amazed at it,may stay with it if it cranks my 2.2T motor,made temporary battery tray.

Click to view attachment

If it doesn't suit my needs it will go to my rideon mower for an outlay of $59nzd I really don't care.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.