Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fair price for engine core
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericoneal
I'm supposed to go look at an engine that "..did run at one time, at this point I could only guarantee it turns." I'm basically buying to learn how to rebuild (over the next year or two) and to have a fun project with my son.

If $350 about right, or too much?

Thanks
76-914
Go for it. One good head is worth that much.
Mark Henry
Depends, that is just a core.
OK for a 2.0 with 3 bolt heads, might even go a few bucks higher, but I wouldn't pay that much for anything else.
Not long ago a member gave me a 1.7 just to get rid of it.
ericoneal
It's a 1.7. He told me $200 last week off the top of his head.. :\
mepstein
Too much. We have 1/2 doezen cores sitting outside in the trash. $100 max
1stworks
100.00 T4

https://denver.craigslist.org/pts/5465147986.html
r_towle
It's a supply and demand thing.
Shipping a core costs money.

So, you pay what you need to and pick it up.

If you get it home for under 500, be happy.

Spoke
QUOTE(ericoneal @ Mar 24 2016, 10:12 AM) *

...to have a fun project with my son.

If $350 about right, or too much?

Thanks

Cool working with your son on your 914.

About the price, it depends what you get with the engine. I can only give a couple of data points on some engine transactions I recently went through.

I bought a "running when pulled" 2L engine last year for $850. What I got with the engine was dual Weber 44's with all linkage and intake runners, distributor with Pertronix, coil and wires, and all tin. After pulling the heads, cleaning and checking the engine, I got the engine running and is now in the car. BTW, the engine has 96mm P&C so is punched out to 2056cc.

I sold the 1.8L that was in my car for $600. The engine was running DJET FI, had Pertronix, all intake pieces, all tin, SSHE, and a stock muffler.

YMMV

beerchug.gif
Geezer914
I picked up a spare motor 1.8L complete with Ljet FI, air cleaner, all wiring, including the the heat exchangers, and trans for $125.
stownsen914
If anyone wanted to sell a 2.0 core motor for a $100 or $200, I'd buy it ...
billh1963
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Mar 25 2016, 09:47 AM) *

If anyone wanted to sell a 2.0 core motor for a $100 or $200, I'd buy it ...

Wouldn't we all.... beer.gif
sdoolin
Ericoneal - if that engine is local (greater Louisville area) and you don't buy it - I certainly will (for $200 - $300). Let me know which way you go.

Good luck with the build and let me know if you need any help/advice/special tools at all. I will be bolting case halves together on my 2056 build later today.
mbseto
There's some guy in Louisville that runs a c-list ad off and on for a couple or 3 914 rollers and a garage full of engine/trans cores. Seems like if you're patient, you can get a core for very little.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.