Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BRAKE LIGHTS WONT WORK
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mxdude914
OK i finally have my car ready to go into be painted and be completely finished (after more than two years) all that i need to do to take it in (i have to drive it long distance to get it there) is finish the brake lights, i have done every thing and nothing works, i replaced the switch and there is power going to the fuses. I have tried many things and nothings lets those stupid things light. Could you please help me. Thank you very much
SirAndy
QUOTE (mxdude914 @ Mar 25 2005, 05:56 PM)
Could you please help me.

ground?

you get 12V at the housing in the rear ???
idea.gif Andy
john rogers
Is there power at the switch and is the switch working when the pedal is pushed? It is a huge pain to get into the pedal cluster with a meter since the switch is hidden mostly by the stock floorboard. If there is power and the switch is working to supply power to the wires, then the next thing to check is the wire connections at the lights. Good luck
Rhodes71/914
I know you said you have done many things but just in case - did you put new bulbs in.

Clean the contacts for the bulbs. This was my problem, neither side worked and it took a few cleanings to get them to work all the time.
mxdude914
Im going to check all of these in a little while thank you
grantsfo
Its a little work but just check the switch in the near the pedal cluster. Make sure the brake pedal is making proper contact and that switch is working. I had some problems with mine. It was a problem with the switch lining up properly with the pedal.
rhodyguy
make sure the switch arm is on the correct side of the collar on the master cyl rod. back/drivers side, picture p.129 haynes. there is also an adj procedure for the switch, same page.

k
mxdude914
I finally found the source of my brake lights not working, the black wire going into the top of the fuse box was cut, i knew no one would just cut it for no reason and i knew re attaching it would make this whole ordeal more confusing. When i re attached it the brake lights work with no problem, until there was smoke from the fuse box, now everytime you turn the ignition on it blows the fuse, even if the switch is not attached. Where is my problem now?
ws91420
That means you got a dead short somewhere. Trace out the wire and looked for frayed places. Good Luck even the best mechanics hate wiring.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.