Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orbit398
I am getting ready to purchase a set of tires soon for my 914. Purchased it about a year ago and am just about done with the restoration. I have the four bolt Mahle rims and hard as rock old tires.

Looking around, I have found many tire sizes folks are using.

185/70-15
195/50-15
195/55-15
195/60-15
195/65-15
205/55-15
205/60-15

Looking for comments on what folks think it best. Normal driving is what I'll be doing.
horizontally-opposed
There are a lot of good choices in those sizes. Aesthetics will probably play a role in your call between them—a 50-series tire looks a LOT different on the car than a 60 or 65.

Your normal driving suggests a 195/60R15 or 195/65R15 might be for you. A lot of good middle of the road tires can be had in those sizes, and you will probably skip fender clearance problems experienced with some 205/60s on some 914s. 205/50s and 205/55s might fit better, but a test fit is still a good idea.

I'd look at those two sizes and go with what you like, and by their reviews. It'll probably be an all-season tire, but as someone pointed out, today's all-season tires are better than any normal tires to be had when the cars were new—and probably more closely approximate the characteristics of 1970s tires than today's summer tires will. You get a nicer ride and quieter tires to boot—for not a lot of money.

pete
SirAndy
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Mar 24 2016, 01:27 PM) *
Your normal driving suggests a 195/60R15 or 195/65R15 might be for you.

agree.gif
dcheek
I'm running 185/70 XWX's on my '76. This was the tire in its day that, as is wore down, became a track junky's delight. It also makes the car look a little more aggressive without a major change the aspect ratio.

Dave
jimkelly
195x65x15
wish sides were stiffer
gotta get me an alignment one day
Tom_T
If you have any concerns about "ghost mileage" on your car from the tires being too big, then go to one of the online tire size calculators & check vs. the OE 165R15 (165/80R15) tires for which the speedo & odo are geared.

For example - IIRC a 195/65R15 is about 8% hi vs. 165/80, while 195/60 is something like 16% - so the latter would add 16% to your annual miles which aren't really there! huh.gif

Also, if gas mileage is a concern, then any of the wider tires will drop your mpg in DD & trip travel by a noticeable amount - in return for better grip in cornering (racers mostly don't care about mpg).

Another concern with the 195 & wider sizes is that you will probably get some inner wheelwell rubbing on the fronts in lock-to-lock (or near) turning, & may get rear fender rubbing unless you "roll" your fender lips.

Vredstein makes some good sporty & reasonable cost 165/80SR15 (for 1.7/1.8's), 165/80HR15 (for 2.0's) & 185/70VR15 for an upsize.

Bridgestone & some others still make a good running 165/80TR15 which will work as std. OE size tires for either/any of 1.7/1.8/2.0/street-upbuilds.

You can google for others in your preferred size(s) to get ones in your price range.

For me if I were still going to DD mine, then I'd stay with one of the OE 165/80HR15 on my 73 2L, since they're all now made with better "modern rubber compounds" & will grip better than most any of the old school ones, but without the speedo/odo error & still get high-teens to 20's mpg around town & 29-35 mpg highway (real world for me for a decade of DDing my 73 2L - not EPA numbers).

Good Luck & Enjoy! driving.gif
Tom
///////
pSquared
I went with Yoko S.drive 195/55 R15 85V's (same Mahle wheels as yours). And here's
my 2cents---

UPS:
-big difference in performance over standard size
-fits with no scrub or rub anywhere on my (otherwise stock) car
-on nice piece of road, world of improvement--much fun!

DOWNS:
-low profile/very little side wall, coupled with solid urethane bushings
all around, means rough roads are jarring
-speed bumps and drive ways, front sometimes scrapes if I'm not
careful. (Gonna adjust front ride height by torsion bar a bit to fix
hopefully.)

Good luck,

p2

Geezer914
Just bought BFGoodrich Sport Comp-2's in 195/55/15. They replaced my BFGoodrich 205/60/15's that are no longer available in that size.
Big Len
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc

Try this.
Coondog
205 55 15 Yokohama S Drive

Click to view attachment
Last930
I just put a set of Michelin 195/65/15 tires on my '73 2.0 with stock Mahle wheels; they look good, ride nice and corner at crazy speeds. No rubbing or interference problems so far.
PancakePorsche
I use Vredestein classic 185/HR-15. They are not cheap but they have period correct tread pattern, correct 25.25" diameter, light steering, great roadholding. They look perfect on the 914 and I highly recommend them.
johannes
Now the french guy comes with another answer.

I always buy 185/65/15 ... The size is not right but it has many +

Better grip (coming from 165)
Very comfortable on rough roads and speed bumps
Better acceleration (because 5% smaler in diameter)
Won't rub in the weel arch even with beetle offset rims.
Cheaper than other sizes because more common.
Look good and not like baloons

Only issue, the speedo is 5% more off (I always have my GPS anyway)
http://914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=267749

IPB Image

IPB Image
johannes
You must be aware that speedo is 5% off with the 185/65/15 tires. You have 5% more rpm at cruising speed, but as the 914 has very long gearing, I found this is not a problem. When cruising at 80mph its only a 200rpm difference.
As I said before this tire size is very popular (in Europe at least) and there is a very large offer. Therefore prices are lower than on other sizes
Before I had 185/70/15, that is the corrct outer diameter but got inner rub when I turned lock to lock. And this was with stock Mahle rims with correct offset !!!

Here is a picture from pelican parts forum with 185/65/15 tires on a 914

IPB Image
76-914
Another view point, IMHO; I never hear this talked about but this is my experience. I have stock size tires on my stock 2.0 76 and fatties on the 3.0 six 73. Guess which one I can drive faster thru the twisties? The 76! Why? Easy; because I'm not a professional driver. Those Porsche engineers knew what they were doing (ie with their real world customers) when they slapped those size tires on the 914. With stock size tires my 76 is easy to steer and when it breaks loose it is much less pronounced than my 73. When the 73 begins to break loose around a corner the "pucker factor" is a 10 whereas the 76 is fun and gentle in the same situation. You feel it coming on much earlier w/ stock size tires! beerchug.gif
lonewolfe
QUOTE(Coondog @ Mar 25 2016, 04:42 AM) *

Click to view attachment

I'm a little late finding this thread but are your Fuchs 6" or 7" wide? Do you have any issues with tires rubbing?
lonewolfe
QUOTE(Coondog @ Mar 25 2016, 04:42 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Hey Coondog! I know I'm late to this conversation but are those wheels 6" or 7" wide Fuchs? Look like 7"s to me. I've been considering those same tires. I have a set of 6" and a set of 7" Cookie Cutter rims to choose from. Do you have any rubbing issues and how far off is your speedo? As for looks, your car looks great!
Big Len
!95/65-15 or anything close looks right to me, but it depends on what tire choices are available.

Click to view attachment
pvollma
QUOTE(Big Len @ Mar 25 2016, 06:08 AM) *

or this:
My Gear/Tire Calculator
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.