Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: As I get close to engine back in car ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Amphicar770
OK, new push rod tubes rrived today, last bit of tins being cleaned up, should have engine / tranny ready for reinstall by end of weekend. piratenanner.gif

I currently have the trailing arms out of car. As I start thinking about putting everything back together ...

1. Engine first or trailing arms first? Is one approach easier than the other?

2. Do I install axle / cv into trailing arm before or after I install trailing arm?

3. How about heat exchangers, exhaust and related bits. Put them on engine before or after it is back in the car?

Any other things I should be thinking about or watching out for?

Thanks,

Mike

jkonzelman
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Mar 24 2016, 09:10 PM) *

OK, new push rod tubes rrived today, last bit of tins being cleaned up, should have engine / tranny ready for reinstall by end of weekend. piratenanner.gif

I currently have the trailing arms out of car. As I start thinking about putting everything back together ...

1. Engine first or trailing arms first? Is one approach easier than the other?

2. Do I install axle / cv into trailing arm before or after I install trailing arm?

3. How about heat exchangers, exhaust and related bits. Put them on engine before or after it is back in the car?

Any other things I should be thinking about or watching out for?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

Im about at the same point you are on my fist 914 restore. but have done a few type four buses. I would suggest put the trailing arms on, install the axles, and then slide the engine on in with exhaust already installed. just because thats the way it is designed to work. but if there is a benefit to a different order, Id like to hear about it.

Jim
iankarr
Agree with getting the trailing arms and axles in first. I like to leave the muffler off when putting the engine back in. Easier access to transmission mounts, ground strap and other bits you may need to reach. Just be careful not to lean or put stress on the ends of the heat exchangers...the leverage can damage the heads.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.