Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Zelectric 914 electric conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dank
http://www.zelectricmotors.com/other-zelectrics/

Has anyone seen one? Does one exist?

This was the 914 I wanted 10 years ago. Not sure about that $50K+ conversion cost though blink.gif
jkonzelman
50 K for a car that has an 80 mile range with new batteries, less as they age. thats absurd! and no AC?

i bought my first 914 to convert to electric as a fun project I could drive to work and and back. There are kits out there for less than 10k. complete! with batteries! not sure why zelectric thinks their kits are so much better? and they will sell your gas engine for you and credit you 50%, not the best deal Ive heard.

THere are several better ways to go.

http://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info...products_id=223

http://www.electriccarpartscompany.com/Por...-Kit_p_656.html

then there are used ones, and ebay and craigslist.

Its a fun project, if you do it, go Lithium Ion for better range, and lower weight

Jim

Chris914n6
An open top roadster, specially one weakened by the inevitable rust worm, is possibly the worst car to add several hundred pounds of batteries to.

Just saying... there are better options that make more sense.

That being said, there has been an older conversion floating around AZ craigslist for 6k.
rick 918-S
50K? WTF.gif confused24.gif screwy.gif put it in your 401 and drive your 914. Same car, lighter weight and you can drive it without an extension cord dragging behind you. Hope this doesn't come off as rude but buy a used prisious.
Tom_T
QUOTE(dank @ Mar 24 2016, 05:20 PM) *

http://www.zelectricmotors.com/other-zelectrics/

Has anyone seen one? Does one exist?

This was the 914 I wanted 10 years ago. Not sure about that $50K+ conversion cost though blink.gif

Dan,

IIRC they had the 914 + an EV Splitty Bus & Bug at the big Steve McQueen Boys Republic Charity Auto Show in Chino Hills down here last year June 2015. If not them, then another SoCal competitor did.

Nice conversions, but agree that their costs are high, unless it includes a lot more than just adding the EV stuff.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 25 2016, 08:03 PM) *

50K? WTF.gif confused24.gif screwy.gif put it in your 401 and drive your 914. Same car, lighter weight and you can drive it without an extension cord dragging behind you. Hope this doesn't come off as rude but buy a used prisious.

Rick,

There's another guy in our OC PCA who did a very nice 914 EV with 200+ mile range & 120+ top speed. Very clean job he did himself with some pro body work IIRC, of which even you would approve. Nice guy too!

He even won Street 914 Class our June 2015 PCA OCR Concours last year. Pix are in that thread I did for that car show last year May/June-ish.

My 73 2L would go 450+ miles on a tank OC to SF at 30-35 mph - so range on our gasser 914s is pretty good. EVs loose most of the trunks space too with batteries.

But if not a $50k+ conversion, then a 914EV with decent range would make for a fun commuter car which you could charge at home & work! driving.gif driving-girl.gif

I think I put pix of the other 914, Splitty Bus & Bug EVs from the McQueen Show in a thread back last summer too.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
akellym
https://1973porsche914ev.shutterfly.com/pictures Oh, the humanity!

mepstein
An electric 914 conversion only makes dollar sense if its really your hearts desire. Better to buy a used Nissan Leaf for DD and use the 914 for fun. All the electric 914's I see for sale get half or less what they have into them.

There is a member here who lives near me and uses his electric 914 to get to work. His is very nice and if I remember correctly, was done on a reasonable budget.

I like the general idea and I always thought a lightweight electric 914 could make a fun driver. With a super lightweight battery pack, immediate torque and a direct drive motor, it should rip up an auto-x course.

The company listed in the first post is building custom project cars. You aren't just paying for a kit, it's a running vehicle. Labor is labor no matter what engine/motor you use. Imagine owning a classic car that doesn't stink up the garage, turns on with the twist of the key - even if it sat all winter and doesn't make a noise that is obnoxious to your wife. For some people it's perfect.

akellym
The 914 is for sale in Panorama for 32K I think the add says they have 130K into the car!!!
eyecolor
Hi

I'm the guy to whom Mepstein was referring

I have a 1974 914 that came pretty rust free from Las Vegas bout 5 years ago.
It did not have a running engine so it seemed natural at the time to convert it to electric.
I have an 8 in DC motor with a 96 volt lead pack.

I've had a lot of fun learning how to keep it running.
I can also tell you what not to do (ugh)

Please feel free to contact me for any information .

Under the ;proper circumstances it could be your for so much less than you might think
but no pressure, happy to assist.

George Ozer
Wilmington,DE
eyecolor@aol.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.