Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ebay prices for used 914 parts are insane
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Geezer914
Went on ebay just for fun. The prices are insane! Try $395.99 for a used pedal cluster, not even rebuilt, or how about this used jack for $99? William Devain should buy Porsche 914 parts instead of gold. screwy.gif Click to view attachment
914Sixer
If it says PORSCHE it has to be Golden! I mentioned this trend starting last spring.
Amphicar770
Bosch "Porsche 914" fuel pumps are $200+ on ebay. If you just enter the Bosch part number, they are well under $100 on AZ or RockAuto. Likewise, if you use the VW part number instead of the Porsche part number, the price often drops dramatically.
Mark Henry
I haven't bought a porsche part off ebay in several years. We have good vendors, good member vendors, VW vendors, classifieds here and on the bird, Craigslist and Kijiji in Canada.
Why do you need ebay? confused24.gif
stownsen914
I think some sellers faintly hope that someone will bid on their overpriced crap. 911 stuff is even worse.

Anyone notice the guy who keeps listing a "911 prototype" for $21 million? WTF.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Mar 25 2016, 09:46 AM) *

Anyone notice the guy who keeps listing a "911 prototype" for $21 million? WTF.gif

Yes, the Loon is a common bird in Canada.
EdwardBlume
eBay parts are pretty much a last resort for me, right above AA though.
tomrev
Prices are all over the map; pretty certain nobody will pay that, and a little searching will find pedal clusters, etc. for $39. ish. Lots of times I will have solid, used stuff for next to nothing, without bids, as so many of us all keep the same bits when we part a car. You just find morons posting steel 914 wheels for $300. each, when we all know you can't give them away, unless you tape a fiver to them. Keep looking, ebay casts a wide net, and a lot can be found!
madmax914
Don't take the prices on Ebay at face value. I have watched several parts sit stagnate on Ebay with super high prices and I wait to make an offer. In many cases the sellers come out of the ether and I've bought some very nice parts for half of the price asked, shipped to boot!
Amphicar770
You mean $500 for an owners manual is not a good deal? lol
913B
If it starts with a "P" it means you going to PAY ! evilgrin.gif
nathansnathan
Most of the really absurd items that have been reposted forever there are from Lionel Atlanta aka AA - it is their effort to drive prices up.
Mikey914
Hate to say it, but prices will go up as more discover our cars. But, you will always find those that are trying to reach new territory.
I do think the rise in price of our cars has been a saving grace as it now makes sense to spend the money to do it right. Look at my rest of a "rust free" car with Cary, it's not cheap, but when done would be supported by a 20k valuation. When you could simply buy one for 10 k, no one would bother.
But yes EBay is buyer beware, you can spend as much as you want.
76-914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 25 2016, 06:32 AM) *

I haven't bought a porsche part off ebay in several years. We have good vendors, good member vendors, VW vendors, classifieds here and on the bird, Craigslist and Kijiji in Canada.

agree.gif The member vendors are my "go to" guys. Very seldom do I need to go elsewhere. So here's to our Member Vendors, beerchug.gif Thx guys.
porschetub
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 26 2016, 08:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 25 2016, 06:32 AM) *

agree.gif The member vendors are my "go to" guys. Very seldom do I need to go elsewhere. So here's to our Member Vendors, beerchug.gif Thx guys.

agree.gif ,haven't bought much if anything off ebay for a while,used to years back before things got out of hand, I do go on there to browse/laugh sometimes however.
My favourite is the term NOS...a rusted part in a rotted cardboard box that's has been sitting on a shelf for several decades is now worth a small fortune,really ???.
The DR's auctions are always entertaining,you have to get a laugh from how parts are described as '' the last one in the world" lol-2.gif .
DavidSweden
Spare a thought for your European cousins. There are very few used parts this side of the pond and what is available will cost an arm and a leg.
Ebay is sometimes the only alternative. I have bought part from members but then I have to pay 25% import duty on the total cost of the parts and shipping.

It sucks
VegasRacer
I miss the days of the eBay parts girl. happy11.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Mar 26 2016, 12:02 PM) *

Spare a thought for your European cousins. There are very few used parts this side of the pond and what is available will cost an arm and a leg.
Ebay is sometimes the only alternative. I have bought part from members but then I have to pay 25% import duty on the total cost of the parts and shipping.

It sucks

I'am in the same boat as you but we only have to pay import duty on items over $400NZD,I pay often more than the item is worth to ship to my country ,I can't buy any large items unless I really need them.
Anyone come across sellers on ebay that jack up shipping cost.....have seen a few,even seen one seller charging duty on items to ship oversea's WTF.gif .
g60pops
QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 26 2016, 03:51 PM) *

QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Mar 26 2016, 12:02 PM) *

It sucks

I'am in the same boat as you but we only have to pay import duty on items over $400NZD,I pay often more than the item is worth to ship to my country ,I can't buy any large items unless I really need them.
Anyone come across sellers on ebay that jack up shipping cost.....have seen a few,even seen one seller charging duty on items to ship oversea's WTF.gif .

Are you sure the duty was not being charged in advance as part of the Ebay Global Shipping Programme? If so it will have nothing to do with the seller.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.