Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Brake Combos for a Good Balance with Front M or Brembo Caliper
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bonzer5
Hi Guys,

Slowly I've been collecting go fast bits for that one day I move to a side shifter and hotter Type IV or the ultimate, a 914-6 conversion. I've purchased T Struts and both the M Caliper and the Brembo Alfa caliper to choose from. I've found so much good info on and brake upgrades. So cool for me to learn from all your decades of experience!

Obviously I'd like to go with the Brembos, have PMB rebuild them, but let me know your thoughts of comparison and a good rear set up to match. Maybe just the M is all I need for the build.

For sake of budget, and not going crazy such as with the 911 Rear Caliper, hub, E Brake conversion, what do you guys recommend for the rear for a good balance with this scenario:

Narrow Body Car, 125-150HP, street and occasional DE
M-Caliper or Brembo?
What rear to match?
Any advice on what to do with the proportioning valve with the combo?

Thanks in advance for sharing!

Here are some photos. Parked next to the big guy at work.
tomrev
I will defer to others about caliper choice, but would advise ditching the proportioning valve; both my track 914-6, and street 914, with Boxter Brembo's up front, and stock calipers in back are very happy without it, and you eliminate a frustrating source of air pockets when bleeding.
Mikey914
Eric at PMB may have some advice for you. Hes pretty much our go to guy here.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 25 2016, 12:59 PM) *

agree.gif he lives that stuff
bonzer5
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 25 2016, 10:27 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 25 2016, 12:59 PM) *

agree.gif he lives that stuff

Thanks guys! He's actually mentioned on here about how the factory got the balance right. Just wondering what's right when you upgrade, having not seen much info on the whole braking package.

PMB's got a set of '65 911 calipers for us being re-done. That car is the reason for the slow upgrades for the 914, and the reason why I appreciate the 914 more and more as a driver's car. A '65 911 isn't 15 times more fun to drive than a 914-4, a 911S isn't 10 times better, and a 911T isn't 5 times better, and any non-carrera 356 isn't any more fun! Gotta love the 914 bang for the buck!
porschetub
QUOTE(tomrev @ Mar 26 2016, 05:39 AM) *

I will defer to others about caliper choice, but would advise ditching the proportioning valve; both my track 914-6, and street 914, with Boxter Brembo's up front, and stock calipers in back are very happy without it, and you eliminate a frustrating source of air pockets when bleeding.

After Erics thread sometime back I debated removing mine but after reading what he said about this safety valve I'am keeping mine ,it is wrongly named as he correctly pointed out,I myself assumed it was a proportioning valve.
I guess as he reconditions these they are worth keeping in the system?.
Running 4 piston Brembos front and rear (ex 944 S2) with 19mm M/S.....its overkill I know but OP was going to run 220hp,all very nicely engineered ,I'am undecided about the 911 handbrake system seems hard to adjust and hold firm.
PO chose to go through the trailing arms for the cables,and yes this conversion is a lot of work.
Coondog
I just wanted to say you have a great looking 914........ smile.gif
jcd914
I have similar plans for my 914.
I have both 914/6 front struts and 911T front struts, I also have some 911 M calipers and Brembo Alfa calipers (3 sets).

My plan is to use the Brembo Alfa calipers up front and a set of PMB "Vintage" Aluminum rear 914/6 calipers.
This will give me bigger pistons both front and rear, aluminum calipers both front and rear and should maintain something very close to the OE balance.

I just have to figure out how to afford the rear "Vintage" calipers, at $850 a set they are not a cheap choice.

And I will be retaining my proportioning valve.

Jim
Mark Henry
I'm going with the T strut brembo's and V-calipers on the rear. I'm going to keep the P-valve for now. I've already cut down the rear rotors.

BTW the trick for bleeding the P-valve is to crack the brake lines at the valve like you would a bleeder valve, that air pocket will gone in no time.
Messy but it does the trick.
bonzer5
Thanks guys for the responses and compliment! And thanks again Jim!

Those vintage GT calipers look sweet but pricey. Seems like it's the only 914 type, intergal e-brake, rear caliper to match the Alfa Brembos. I was wondering if something could be done to the stock caliper or porportion valve for the balance. Maybe I'll sell my cat or kid out on you tube for some funds! Haha.

The V-calipers are new to me. Are those the same as the vintage GT calipers? They look similar and very sweet!
mepstein
Another option is to buy tangerine racing, ebrake kit. Use 911 ebrake & rear M caliper.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(bonzer5 @ Mar 26 2016, 01:34 AM) *

Thanks guys for the responses and compliment! And thanks again Jim!

Those vintage GT calipers look sweet but pricey. Seems like it's the only 914 type, intergal e-brake, rear caliper to match the Alfa Brembos. I was wondering if something could be done to the stock caliper or porportion valve for the balance. Maybe I'll sell my cat or kid out on you tube for some funds! Haha.

The V-calipers are new to me. Are those the same as the vintage GT calipers? They look similar and very sweet!

V-calipers are just stock 914/4 calipers with spacer blocks used to make them wider for a vented rotor. The 911 rotor works but needs to be cut down a bit. Mounting the calipers needs thin spacers and you need longer pins, but no other modifications are required.
The stock E-brake and 914/4 size pads are retained.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.