Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: noise from suspension
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
william1764
My 74' 2.0 came equipped with Koni Yellow adjustable 7 years ago. Don't know details on springs but VERY stiff - thinking 180lbs or more. Indy quoted 6K for compete suspension redo (koni/coilovers, bushings, etc). He then recommended an Option 2 where I keep existing Konis when he realized mine are adjustable, and just replace the springs with lighter and replace all bushings. Also mentioned something about trailing arm shaft? Total for option 2 is +/- 1,500 - 1,800. Both quotes seem very high to me but I frankly don't know. Indy is new to me and by all accounts very knowledgeable and reputable. Feedback, thoughts, recommendations appreciated.
6freak
discride sound! maybe its something simple and you dont need a complete rebuild.
how many miles on car?
you want a softer ride?
6k and $1500 to $1800 for Trailing arm shafts, on top of the other stuff seems pricey to me and thats where the bushings are to begain with or 4 of the 8 anyway
$9300 K for suspention rebuild I think you can anwer that

sheeplove.gif NEXT

good luck
william1764
I'm sorry - i see now where my post was confusing regarding the costs. The 6K was for a compete suspension - shocks, springs, bushings - the works he says. The 1500-1800 was for an Option 2 which included only springs and bushings, trailing arm shafts.

Creaks/rattles are very noticeable at low speeds i.e over speed bumps, in/out of driveway, etc. Not noticeable under other driving conditions. The ride is very harsh however. 46,000 miles on car. Not looking to auto/track. The existing Koni's are about 8-10 years old - probably 12-15K miles on them at the most. Indy did say that bushings are shot all around. I don't know what that means or how many. We had a brief phone conversation - nothing in writing yet.

I think I spent about 3-4K for Bilstein PSS10 suspension set up on my 993 hence the surprise at the 914 estimates.

QUOTE(6freak @ Mar 25 2016, 01:21 PM) *

discride sound! maybe its something simple and you dont need a complete rebuild.
how many miles on car?
you want a softer ride?
6k and $1500 to $1800 for Trailing arm shafts, on top of the other stuff seems pricey to me and thats where the bushings are to begain with or 4 of the 8 anyway
$9300 K for suspention rebuild I think you can anwer that

sheeplove.gif NEXT

good luck

r_towle
1500-1800 to replace springs and bushings is a good price.
Replacing front and rear bushings is quite a bit of labor.

Keep the konis, they are probably just fine
william1764
Thank you

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 25 2016, 02:11 PM) *

1500-1800 to replace springs and bushings is a good price.
Replacing front and rear bushings is quite a bit of labor.

Keep the konis, they are probably just fine

r_towle
Keep the rear springs, sell them here.
william1764
Will do. Thanks again!

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 25 2016, 03:43 PM) *

Keep the rear springs, sell them here.

6freak
no need to apologize ....I dont know if ive been in a 914 that didnt creak and rattle hahahah... I changed my bushings at around 65K and the didnt really need replaced, but my car has been keep inside its whole life to...put the new 100lbs rear springs in and see if the creaking goes away ..you sure its not the targa squeaking..do you have a front sway bar? ii would try one thing at a time and see what helps ,i dont think i would do the wholesale change right form the start i think you would be tossing money..JMO

theres alot of knowledge on this site and some good minds working together on just this kinda stuff! use it to your advantage

MikeC. good luck
era vulgaris
QUOTE(6freak @ Mar 28 2016, 11:50 AM) *

.you sure its not the targa squeaking

agree.gif

I'm running a very stiff suspension setup also, and if I don't insulate my rear targa latches, all I hear are squeaks and rattles. I just use a small piece of paper towel folded over a few times and placed between the latch contacts. Other people use a small piece of rubber or hose. Ride is dead silent with the latches insulated.

It could also be a loose door window crank or a missing felt in the window guide. You'll have the glass rattling against the metal guide.
Cracker
I also had quite a bit of noise/squeaks from my suspension - mostly the rear. The poly bushings were the source of it - not the Koni's and certainly not the springs. I just installed the Rebel Racing trailing arm shafts last week and they are squeak-free. The fronts are bolt in and would take less than and hour by anyone competent.

If the price you quoted was for both Labor and parts - you are doing alright (still sounds high to me though). I'd prefer, if I were you, to source my own parts and pay your fella based upon an hourly rate. Good luck.

Tony
william1764
Thank all.

I definitely have Targa top squeaks but that's another issue;-) The noise from the suspension is even noticeable with car sitting/off and by pushing down on front/rear. We’ve decided to go ahead and replace all the bushings, replace trailing arm shaft, and adjust/soften existing Konis to see what that resolves. I’m hoping that takes care of most of the noise. I was under the car with the Indy today and the shocks/springs appear fine so we’re going to leave those alone. The car is in amazingly great shape – Indy is blown away how nice. Next project will be to rebuild trans and a 2056 rebuild.
Cracker
Mine was the same way...99% sure its just the bushings.

Tony
Chris Pincetich
New bushings make a huge difference and are totally worth it beerchug.gif
If you are paying lots of $$$ to a shop to replace them, make sure the price includes a decent alignment after all that work. Hopefully it already does!
william1764
Is an alignment necessary as a result of this work?
6freak
certainly not the springs.
Tony
[/quote]
no its not the springs, just the stiffness of them makes the car groin when the weight shifts because your sorta twisting the body! driveways and speed bumps you take at an angle...sounds like he does need new bushing though
and you said no track days or AX then go with stock bushings for a nicer ride ,,,lots of feed back from the polybroze and you feel every rock in the road IMO
fronts are easy like mention above ..the back,more labor then up front and a real pan in the ass ...might wanna try to find some trailing arms already rebuild so you dont have to pay the man for standing there for hours try to figure out the mess he has...sell the old one and let someone else fight that, sell the adjustable konis.(dont need um) and buy new bilstiens. if ya want cush ride
best of luck to ya
MikeC
william1764
Stopped by Indy's again today with some parts - making good progress. Thank for all the advice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.