Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New throttle cable woes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jcav
Just installed a new throttle cable, and the pedal has no return when you depress it, and its not wrapped around the clutch cable, and i got the cable in through the tube it goes in with no issue. So im a bot stumped on what is going on
TheCabinetmaker
Return spring on throttle body or carb linkages?
r_towle
The return system is a combination of the return spring and the sprung gas pedal together. One alone won't do the job.
jcav
I guess i should have clarified its a fuel injected 1.8, and everything was connected back up the spring on the throttle body and everything connected to the pedal assembly. Sorry about that haha
r_towle
Well, disconnect both ends and pull it by hand till you find out where it's getting stuck
jcav
it fed through and pulled out of the tube super easily, does it need to be lubed or something inside the tube?
Amphicar770
Could be a bad pedal. There is a spring hinge hidden inside that gets rusty and goes bad.
jcav
Maybe ill just take the pedal cluster out and deep clean it
r_towle
Disconnect cable at both ends and see if it moves freely.
jcav
ill have to do that, the throttle body works freely didnt even think of try the pedal on its own
r_towle
QUOTE(jcav @ Mar 25 2016, 08:23 PM) *

ill have to do that, the throttle body works freely didnt even think of try the pedal on its own

The return system is a combination of the return spring and the sprung gas pedal together. One alone won't do the job.
Amphicar770
QUOTE(jcav @ Mar 25 2016, 08:01 PM) *

Maybe ill just take the pedal cluster out and deep clean it

The accelerator pedal is independent from the rest of the pedal cluster. Once removed, if you push on it, it should essentially spring back to an, um, erect position.

If rest of your pedal cluster is sticking then cleaning it probably wont do much as the bushing are likely bad. Send it out to Bruce Stone and it will come back looking like new ...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=268107
jcav
Thanks for all of the advice!
porschetub
QUOTE(jcav @ Mar 26 2016, 01:23 PM) *

Not too long?
Java2570
Check to make sure your little gas pedal push rod isn't getting caught up in your pedal board.....I had that happen once and it was causing a similar problem. I just had to adjust the position of the board better.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.