Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission options for SBC Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
quadracerx
Im doing a V8 Conversion, old school SBC. I don't want to use a 901 transaxle so what are my options?

Boxster 5 speed?

Boxster 6 speed?

Some sort of Audi unit?

A G50 is out because of cost, unless there is somewhere to buy them reasonably priced...

I already have the Renegade 901 to SBC adapter plate but Im pretty sure I will need something new to use a different transaxle?

I don't plan on a lot of HP somewhere around 400....

Thanks for the help...

Steve
Mike Bellis
The Boxster 5 speed is virtually the same as the Audi and Passat FWD tranny. You can get a Passat tranny for as low as $400.

A good Boxster 6 speed will cost you $2500 or more.
Bruce Hinds
Have renegade swap the gears in the 901 and it will work great if you don't do burn outs and power shifts. Also if you build your small block to get power in the upper RPM range, that will help too. The 901 was not built for a lot of torque, but rev's are fine.
cali914
I have a buddy with a pantera zf and mccloud clutch was already bolted to small block 427. Pm me if your interested
Mueller
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Mar 25 2016, 08:16 PM) *

The Boxster 5 speed is virtually the same as the Audi and Passat FWD tranny. You can get a Passat tranny for as low as $400.

$200 for mine, came out of known running vehicle.
pdlightning
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 25 2016, 07:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Mar 25 2016, 08:16 PM) *

$200 for mine, came out of known running vehicle.

Remember changing to a non 914 trans may create a problem/concern for the shifter and gear ratio change. If you go with other 911's, you have to flip the r/p and still have to deal with gear changes. The adapter plates for all of them are different. Kennedy products, KEP, can advise on costs and availability.
quadracerx
One other possibility? Subaru Transaxle?

Just a thought...

Steve
Bruce Hinds
QUOTE(cali914 @ Mar 25 2016, 08:24 PM) *

I have a buddy with a pantera zf and mccloud clutch was already bolted to small block 427. Pm me if your interested

I may be interested? What's available?
BIGKAT_83
The Kennedy Boxster adapter kit for a SBC engine is not as expensive as the LS /adapter.
IIRC its about $1k cheaper.
Andyrew
The biggest issue with the 901 trani IMHO is the actual shifting. Its a decently strong unit but is so sloppy it takes all the fun out of driving.

On a cheap SBC I wouldnt hesitate to do a cable shift trani and do a mild build and regear of the trani.

The Audi/boxster 5 speed is a decent unit but for real bug torque numbers you need the 6 speed.
Mueller
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Mar 25 2016, 09:30 PM) *

The Kennedy Boxster adapter kit for a SBC engine is not as expensive as the LS /adapter.
IIRC its about $1k cheaper.

Any idea why the extra cost?

It would seem same amount of material for the adapter.

quadracerx
Im leaning toward the Boxster gearbox or maybe Subaru... The 901 looks like it might interfere with the suspension I plan to use... The shift console to be specific... And no it is not stock Porsche rear suspension...

I guess I could trim the "ear" of the stock shift console (where the shift rod connects) and maybe gain clearance but probably not...

So Im looking for something that will be a bolt together with an adapter plate and related accessories, that will be stronger than the 901 and possibly give me a cable shifter.

I do have a cable shifter for a 901 so if I can gain clearance around the shift ear my plan is to use it...

Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate it...

Im going to call Kennedy on Monday...

Thanks,

Steve
jimkelly
i'd love to get away from my 901 trans one day. i'd like to have a low 1st gear (vs starting off in 2nd all the time) and i'd like to have 5 gears that would match my low rpm engine better and i'd like smoother shifts.

that said, if you drive v8 901 like a regular car, not like a complete jack ass, it moves along quite nicely. I've put about 7200 miles on my dr evil rebuilt trans and that is with a sloppy ass firewall bushing, wow, what a difference a rebuilt trans makes smile.gif

that said, I have my other 914, 1975, in the wings for a Subaru Subaru conversion. I am convinced I will enjoy driving a suby 4 cylinder with a suby 5 spd immensely due to MODERN matching drivetrain. if it turns out i need more power, I could always go with a turbo engine or suby 6 down the road.

see this example...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALwR2Fj91Co

tygaboy
In working through all this for my LS build, I went w/the Boxster S 6 speed. Talked a lot with Renegade and they're confident these will take well over 500hp when pushing around a 914.
PM Cracker about his experiences. I bought his wimpy 430hp LS3 as he's moving to an LS7 in front of his 6 speed.
Price wise? I got an 80,000 mile unit with a warranty delivered for $1350. More than some have paid but for what it is (proven to work and last) I'm good with that.
Are there other options? Sure. Just be honest with yourself about the goal of your build.
I want my car to have some unique features and I'll be "experimenting" with things like the interior and some other one of a kind do-dads but I want the drive train, brakes and suspension to be rock solid/no surprises. At least for this build.

On the other hand, "FutureStupidBuild", as I call it, has me asking why I can't stick a V8 behind a PDK.
jimkelly
tygaboy, what kind of rpm can one expect to be at in 6th gear, at 65mph?

I ask, cause at 65,i am at 2800 rpm, and wish for a gear or two more smile.gif

at 75 I am at 3200-3300 and I doubt my 307 can run steady at much more for any length of time.
tygaboy
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Mar 26 2016, 06:34 AM) *

at 75 I am at 3200-3300 and I doubt my 307 can run steady at much more for any length of time.

Maybe this helps? There is also someone making a taller 6th gear. Forget the name but he's selling them on ebay.
Bruce Hinds
I think there are some ring and pinion options for the boxter . . .
Andyrew
There are loads of gear options for the boxster. It shares with the Audi line.
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Mar 26 2016, 06:34 AM) *

Im a little confused why your 307 can't run 3200-3300 rpm all day? . Is it a used stock motor?
jimkelly
i'm pretty sure it is a WORN OUT stock motor with a 4 barrel on it. just seems to me that it is spinning pretty vigorously at 2800 rpm, and very vigorously at 3200, and without a next higher gear, I feel limited. mad.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 26 2016, 08:55 AM) *

Do any of the Audi gearboxes interchange with the Boxster 6 speed? It looks like it might be made specifically for Porsche and as mentioned it has a larger ring and pinion.
1stworks
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Mar 26 2016, 07:34 AM) *

I run 205 50 15 tire size on my ls1 boxster S.
70mph 2800 rpm
I think 6th gear is deeper than you think...

Its so smooth at 3k rpm

Cheep 6 speed

http://m.ebay.com/itm/03-Boxster-S-RWD-Por...0587?nav=SEARCH
Andyrew
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 26 2016, 10:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 26 2016, 08:55 AM) *

Do any of the Audi gearboxes interchange with the Boxster 6 speed? It looks like it might be made specifically for Porsche and as mentioned it has a larger ring and pinion.

Yes

The S4 6 speed is the same base transmission. They made a fwd audi a8 6 speed in europe as well as some other cars. I also think the later 6 speed from the b6 A4 the fwd version is very similar.

I personally dont think the torque will be peaky enough on my engine to warrant the stronger 6 speed but hey, I could be wrong.

One of the reasons I wanted to try making the quattro trani fwd as I know its stupid strong, and the 6 speed versions are pretty plentiful.
Cracker
Double post - sorry.
Cracker
I'd have to know how you plan to use your car? If it is a "hot rod" - then go with the 901 or Boxster trans. If you plan on tracking (any sort) - then either a 930, Boxster S or G50.

Years ago: I drove an LS2 powered 914 pretty hard and I stripped 4th gear at 2500 miles. The 901 is more robust than most people believe...

FYI: To build my G86 properly, the conversion cost me nearly the same as my 930 box - more than a G50 (and shifts better too).

So...how are you planning on using your car?

Tony
quadracerx
My car will be a fast street car. It has an IRS based off a late model Camaro. And Corvette C6 Front Suspension.

The reason I want a different transaxle is that a 901 has clearance issues with the IRS. Mainly the shift console. If I trim the magnesium top off the transaxle it may clear.

IF not then I have to formulate an alternate plan. Right now the Boxster seems to be the best candidate because of the cable shifter and better strength than the 901....

I have a cable shifter for the 901 if I can overcome the shifter console issues....

Thanks,

Steve
Cracker
Sounds like a logical option...the 6-speed is lower on my car than the 901. Maybe the 5-speed users can chime in on how their clearance compares.

T

QUOTE(quadracerx @ Mar 26 2016, 10:54 PM) *

My car will be a fast street car. It has an IRS based off a late model Camaro. And Corvette C6 Front Suspension.

The reason I want a different transaxle is that a 901 has clearance issues with the IRS. Mainly the shift console. If I trim the magnesium top off the transaxle it may clear.

IF not then I have to formulate an alternate plan. Right now the Boxster seems to be the best candidate because of the cable shifter and better strength than the 901....

I have a cable shifter for the 901 if I can overcome the shifter console issues....

Thanks,

Steve
quadracerx
This might be a weird question, but to avoid the shift console issue could I use a late model VW Bus gearbox?

I think that would alleviate the side shift console interference issue and still allow me to use my current adapter I think?

Not sure if a cable shifter is available for that though...?

Thanks,

Steve

/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.