Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should I get RH 500hp CV joints??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
Im just thinking here... I've already broken 1 cv...

I know with the bigger tires, and newly found hp (new intake manifold is going on tommorrow ohmy.gif Give me some top end hp...Yea baby!) I bet I'll break one the other one at the wcc.. (on the track)

That would really suck.

SOoooo... should I spring the 600 bucks and get them suckers? Or is there another option?

I got the money.. Just thinking "how many times do I have to do it cheap, till I break down and do it right"

ArtechnikA
there will always be a weakest link in your car.

CV's transmit torque - not power. hard launches, curb hits, and excessive angularity are killers, are as dirt and inadequate lubrication.

you may find that CV's are the fuse that protect your differential, R&P, and mainshaft

a halfshaft is not too hard to replace in the field although i do recommend taking whatever you use to pull the stub axle castle nut with you to the track along with your spare halfshafts.
skline
I lesser alternative would be Bus axles and CV's. I have a set here but am going to try to just take it easy on the car till I get the feel of how it will perform. Besides, I think you need adapters to run them.
BIGKAT_83
I think the RH axles and adapters ARE Bus axles and cv's. Seems like for that kind of money you could go with 911 hubs and stub axles and the larger 911 cv's and axles and gain a 5 lug conversion also.

welder.gif
Andyrew
I've got 5 lug.. so that really doesnt make much diff to me..

But you say bus axles.. or 911 axles...

Where do I get the stuff for that?

Maltese Falcon
I've used the Sway-Away axles and 930 CVs on my 5.7 LT1 (VW dualCab) and have snapped the (white) axles twice. I now have the Red ones that they sell--they seem to be stronger. I think that it is better to have these go out as a "Fuse" and not have to get into my G50 for costlier repairs.
I just have to quit wheelstanding the truck cool_shades.gif
MF
neo914-6
QUOTE (Maltese Falcon @ Mar 26 2005, 09:55 AM)
I've used the Sway-Away axles and 930 CVs on my 5.7 LT1 (VW dualCab) and have snapped the (white) axles twice. I now have the Red ones that they sell--they seem to be stronger. I think that it is better to have these go out as a "Fuse" and not have to get into my G50 for costlier repairs.
I just have to quit wheelstanding the truck cool_shades.gif
MF

Martin,
I thought the G50 is the strongest Porsche transaxle. It's pretty long but I presume it's not an issue in your bus.

Andrew,
There was a recent thread about using turbo 944 axles/cvs...
dan10101
Ya... I dont know...

I need to check it out.

I think I'll call Easy on monday.

Dr Evil
Pelican has/had(?) the bus set up. Here is the pic.
dan10101
Pelicans bus setup is 150 more than rennegades bus setup.... wink.gif
Steve
Check out the end of this thread.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=2&t=19406

I would rather go with the late model carrera axles.
I also plan on installing a 915 trans some day.
These axles are already designed for the late model 915 trans.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.