Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 283 v8 with less than 10:1 compression starter options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gearup
Gentleman. Curious if a remanded Bosch 914 starter will work with my 283 v8 (<10:1 compression) engine. Or, do I need to shell out for a heavy duty starter? If so, any recommendations appreciated as to best bang for the buck. Happy Easter BTW. Thanks, Brett
tomrev
I'd plan on getting one of the gear reduction starters; I have used them on both 283, and 383 914's, without any problems. Renegade, or ebay versions.
Bruce Hinds
The short answer to the question is a probable yes. My 327 had 9:1 and worked well with a hot battery for several years until the starter started jumping teeth on the flywheel.

It's not so much the power of the starter but the bearing doesn't like that compression bump and will eventually wear. After replacing the ring gear on the flywheel I shelled out the bucks for the reverse rotation chevy starter from Kennedy.
Gearup
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Mar 27 2016, 12:59 PM) *

The short answer to the question is a probable yes. My 327 had 9:1 and worked well with a hot battery for several years until the starter started jumping teeth on the flywheel.

It's not so much the power of the starter but the bearing doesn't like that compression bump and will eventually wear. After replacing the ring gear on the flywheel I shelled out the bucks for the reverse rotation chevy starter from Kennedy.

Thanks Gents...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.