Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Front Seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
Now I know why the replacement seals are not working out properly. They are not made the same way as the factory seal. I have read threads about them not seating properly and going too deep. I made a buy on some NOS German seals. Side by side they are totally different and in the way the seal up. Replacements have no flanges on them to seat in the transmission housing. The NOS ones are the right depth and have a flange.

First set of pictures is side by side. Second set is the replacement seal in trans and then showing reversed OEM on the shaft so you can see the flange. Third set shows the OEM seal in place vs the replacement.
914Sixer
Hope this sheds some light on things.
Highland
Can this seal be installed with the transmission assembled (Input shaft in place but tube removed)?

My old seal is already out, so removal is not an issue.
914Sixer
Lube up the new one and tap it in. That's all there is.
bretth
Unless i am missing something it looks like the replacement seal has two sealing surfaces compared to the factory part's single seal but, no flange to make install easier?

Brett
Highland
So the answer is Yes. The seal can be installed with the gear stack and input shaft in place.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.