Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing the Engine .. tips
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Beakster
I have tried to find some info on removing the engine .. Dose any links or findings on youtube showing proper way of doing this task.. thanks guys
euro911
It kind of depends on what shop tools you have handy.

Lift?
Floor Jack?
Jack Stands?
Furniture dollies?
Jeffs9146
Engine Removal
Beakster
beerchug.gif Thanks Jeff...
I'm going to add a few common sense ( some folks don't have any ).
- make sure you utilize a well made jack stands.....having the car fall on you will not make your day

- loosen the lug bolts before you jack up the car...Otherwise you will need another person to press the brakes while its up

Again, common sense on safety goes a long way.
iankarr
agree.gif

I strongly recommend using the Tangerine Racing engine jack plate.

http://www.tangerineracing.com/tools.htm

This tool is designed to balance the engine/trans on a standard shop jack and makes quick work of the removal and install. Basically all you need to do is get the car up on jack stands, place the plate under the engine, unhook all the bits as described in the Pelican link, and slowly lower it down. Yes, it's 120 bucks...but the time and frustration saved makes it a no brainer.

The mover dolly method also works...but requires you to use two jacks and is easier with two people. And you need to be really careful that the dolly is in the right position and you've got good control of the jacks or risk doing some damage.

I only wish I bought the tangerine plate a long time ago!

Your first engine drop is a true rite of passage! Good luck with it...and welcome to the club.
Amphicar770
Are you jacking up the car or do you have a lift? If a lift, is it a two post or four-post unit.

Removed my engine for first time a couple of months ago. Almost ready to put back in (r so I keep saying).

Removal with 4-post lift was pretty easy following directions provided in link (use the checklist). Only snag was that engine bar and tins are wider than the space between many 4-post lifts. I used a harbor freight lift table to place the engine on. The hydraulic lift table also made it easy to raise it in position for the engine stand.

If you get stuck along the way just ask questions here. Lots of great people willing to hep out.

TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(396 @ Mar 28 2016, 12:45 PM) *

- make sure you utilize a well made jack stands.....having the car fall on you will not make your day

- loosen the lug bolts before you jack up the car...Otherwise you will need another person to press the brakes while its up

I have never removed a wheel to remove the engine.
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Mar 28 2016, 03:14 PM) *

QUOTE(396 @ Mar 28 2016, 12:45 PM) *

I have never removed a wheel to remove the engine.

I think by removing the wheels will allow you better access to loosen the CV bolts..
TheCabinetmaker
Having the wheels on makes it easier to turn the cv to access the bolts. And you don't have to put the wheels back on to move the car. I'm basically lazy and won't remove anything that is not absolutely necessary.
ndfrigi
dropped/removed one last week for the core engine

Click to view attachment

installed one two weeks ago a 1.7 megasquirt

Click to view attachment

both used two floor jack and one furniture dolly. jack stands for protection only during the installation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.