Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing a factory installed center console
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
napasteve
So I want to put in SS fuel lines from Tangerine and I think I need to remove the center console (is this true?) in order to remove the shifter linkage.

I managed to pull the shifter knob off and unscrew the red heater/defroster knob and got one of the 2 screws out of the defrost light out (the other screw just spins and won't come out).

Click to view attachment

So how do I proceed?

Other than the 2 visible bolts, one on each side of the console under the dash, I can't see how the console attaches.

FYI I know it is blasphemy to alter a pretty original '73 2.0 but I have always thought the sans console look of the 914 is the best. So removing the console serves 2 purposes: install SS fuel lines and get the cooler interior look.
dlkawashima
You should be able to pull up on the black pad now ... it should be just a friction fit.
white1975
QUOTE(napasteve @ Mar 28 2016, 08:50 AM) *

So I want to put in SS fuel lines from Tangerine and I think I need to remove the center console (is this true?) in order to remove the shifter linkage.

I managed to pull the shifter knob off and unscrew the red heater/defroster knob and got one of the 2 screws out of the defrost light out (the other screw just spins and won't come out).

Click to view attachment

So how do I proceed?

Other than the 2 visible bolts, one on each side of the console under the dash, I can't see how the console attaches.

FYI I know it is blasphemy to alter a pretty original '73 2.0 but I have always thought the sans console look of the 914 is the best. So removing the console serves 2 purposes: install SS fuel lines and get the cooler interior look.

just lift up the center part you don't need to un screw anything and then un plug wires from the lights
napasteve
Ok, bottom piece is out and I unscrewed the 2 screws on each side to the console. The console wiggles a little but still seems attached.

What's next?
mepstein
I wouldn't remove the shift linkage. I sure didn't need to.

I can't really think of any reason to remove the console.

Having a helper/spotter, makes the job easier and I would remove the access panels on the tunnel so your helper can shine a light to help you with progress and hit the bullseye into the front trunk.
TheCabinetmaker
Why do you want to remove the shifter? Lots of trouble for nothing.
stugray
The panel with the gauges will come out like the lower panel (friction fit).

Once you get it out you will find some more screws at the top and bottom.
Once you get the console housing (the big part) loose, you can feed the instrument panel through it and out the back while removing the housing and you dont even need to disconnect any wires.
napasteve
The instructions from Tangerine say to remove the "shifter console".

I guess I don't understand exactly what that means.....
ndfrigi
there should be one more screw just above or front of the shifter holding the console frame and u have to pull the front board where the gauges attached.
napasteve
ndfrigi you are correct, I removed that screw after removing the panel with the gauges and the console is out.

Thanks for the help.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(napasteve @ Mar 28 2016, 09:52 AM) *

Lift up the bottom center section, pull out the face section and you will see one screw at the base on the front edge going into the floor and a U bracket up on top going into the trunk. Remove the single screw and the U bracket to lift out the console.
Tom_T
This is after the fact for you Steve - but for future reference for you & others reading up on this in the future, there is a how to install/remove the console in the Haynes manual & a topic for it on Pelican .... since it's been done a few times over the past 40+/- years! ;-)

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
jcd914
QUOTE(napasteve @ Mar 28 2016, 09:52 AM) *

Shift console is the metal base that holds the shift lever, you could just call it a shifter assembly

There are 2 places in the tunnel where the original fuel lines are held down with metal tabs bent over them. At the rear of the tunnel, on the passenger side just ahead of the rear access panel and just ahead of the shift console on the passenger side. If you want secure your SS fuel lines you will need to pull the shift console loose. Tail shift console will lift out after unbolting it and the bushing bracket. For a side shift console you can probably just rotate the base 90 degrees after it is unbolted but to remove the shift console you will have to disconnect the shift lever from the shift rod.

Just did this over the weekend, not possible to slide the steel lines in and thru the metal tabs due to the curves in the steel lines. The PO had installed the steel lines without them thru the metal tabs and they probably were fine but since I had to pull the lines out and the shift console out anyway, I took the extra time to get them in the tabs.

Jim

Amphicar770
When i recently installed the SS lines, one of the most useful tools was the Harbor Freight inspection camera.
http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-inspe...mera-61839.html

This was also really useful in ensuring the hoses under the tank were not kinked (hardest part of the job in my case) and also when running new cables. Pick one up with a 20% coupon and you will wonder how you ever got along without it, especially on the 914.

mepstein
I never secured the SS fuel lines in my car. They are rigid so they aren't going anywhere.
TheCabinetmaker
I've installed non preformed lines in half a dozen cars. Like mepstein, I don't use the metal tabs. I have never had to remove a shifter to do this install.

Btw, if you do have to remove the shifter it can be done by removing the bolt that holds the shift rod coupler to the shifter. No need to remove the coupler from the shift rod.
rjames
Lift up the bottom center section, pull out the face section and you will see one screw at the base on the front edge going into the floor and a U bracket up on top going into the trunk. Remove the single screw and the U bracket to lift out the console.

agree.gif The 'face panels' of the console lift out, both the one that the shifter sticks out of, and the one the gauges are in. Once you remove those, you'll see how it's all attached.

napasteve
ok the 3 bolts that hold the shift console are out and the shift console is rotated 90 degrees and I can see the clips holding the fuel lines in both locations.

Thanks again for the help.

Next up: flapper box removal on the passenger side.
rjames
QUOTE(napasteve @ Mar 28 2016, 03:41 PM) *

ok the 3 bolts that hold the shift console are out and the shift console is rotated 90 degrees and I can see the clips holding the fuel lines in both locations.

Thanks again for the help.

Next up: flapper box removal on the passenger side.

Flat head screwdriver to remove those awful cheesehead screws.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.