Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deck Height Q
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sdoolin
I have read as much as I can stand on measuring deck height in preparation for doing just that as part of my 2056 build (different thread). While I am comfortable with the process once set-up, I can't tell from all of my reading if I should begin with a shim/gasket between jug and case, or if I should begin naked (no shim/gasket)?

I would think that I'd want to use the 4 metal gaskets (VR P/N 17-00121-01) that came with the gasket set as a crushable seal to keep oil in the engine, and so as-such would think I'd begin my deck height and CR measurements with these in place.

However, I have seen many suggestions to do the set-up without "shims". Do we consider the "shims" different than the "gaskets"?

As always all help appreciated.
r_towle
measure without shims, do math to add the correct amount of shims.

They deform when torque is applied, even though they are supposed to be hardened.
I do it this way, just my opinion and I know others like to do things differently.

rich
sdoolin
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 28 2016, 01:08 PM) *

measure without shims, do math to add the correct amount of shims.

They deform when torque is applied, even though they are supposed to be hardened.
I do it this way, just my opinion and I know others like to do things differently.

rich

Thanks for this. But - I am still unclear - if I measure without the "gasket" then won't I be wrong from the git-go as the gasket adds a bit of height to the cylinder (and thusly affects deck-height)? I can't imagine final assembly without at least the crushable gasket between jug and case.

Shims (I am hoping) are different than gaskets?

Apologies if I am being a little dense.
r_towle
Measure without, subtract cylinder base gasket thickness from deck height measurement ( do the math) and use that final number in your compression ratio calculation
sdoolin
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 28 2016, 05:47 PM) *

Measure without, subtract cylinder base gasket thickness from deck height measurement ( do the math) and use that final number in your compression ratio calculation

Got it! Even makes sense.
r_towle
There are different thicknesses of cylinder base shims to help you achieve your target compression ratio
914werke
I recently tore down a engine that was found set up w/o base gaskets/shims on one bank and a single (.008 compressed) shim on the other bank.
The bare bank showed clear signs of marring of the registers that wasn't present on the opposite bank. Both banks probably had a equal amount of oil leakage / grime present.
Shouldnt some shim always be used between jug & register?
914Sixer
Paper gasket goes on case where cylinder touches case.
cgnj
QUOTE(sdoolin @ Mar 28 2016, 10:05 AM) *

I have read as much as I can stand on measuring deck height in preparation for doing just that as part of my 2056 build (different thread). While I am comfortable with the process once set-up, I can't tell from all of my reading if I should begin with a shim/gasket between jug and case, or if I should begin naked (no shim/gasket)?

I would think that I'd want to use the 4 metal gaskets (VR P/N 17-00121-01) that came with the gasket set as a crushable seal to keep oil in the engine, and so as-such would think I'd begin my deck height and CR measurements with these in place.

However, I have seen many suggestions to do the set-up without "shims". Do we consider the "shims" different than the "gaskets"?

As always all help appreciated.

Hi,
This is how I proceed.
Assemble without gaskets or shims.
Measure deck.
Heads already Done?. CC the chambers.

Now calc and see the raw static compression. Add in gaskets and calc required flycut or base shim to hit your number.

Good luck

Carlos
Mark Henry
The base shims don't crush, they're steel not aluminum.
If you don't believe me put a magnet on them.

You can use a maximum of 3 shims, after that you need custom size shims from T4store or EMW. Minimum deck .040" but do the math.

I use loctite SI 5900 flange sealant on the cylinder bases.
Mark Henry
Are you talking about the base shims or the head gaskets?
I don't use the head gaskets and you shouldn't use them on 96mm cylinders.
914werke
Base shims. No paper gaskets present, Cast steel cylinders directly on aluminum case/register. The other bank had only a single shim
I didnt mention bore but in this case it is an OE 94mm 2.0L that from appearances had never been messed with.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.