Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield Wiper Test and Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914_teener
So had the fresh air box out anyway and noticed when I took the car to the Phoenix Club swap meet out here that the wipers were moving REALLY slow. Now I know why.

Couple of questions:

1. Obviously there is/was a short to ground of some type. The thought has occured that it might be the motor itself. I'd like to know if I should just test it in place or remove it, clean up ect. I looked for threads, but I really don't want to take it out if it is working, but I am concerned the the motor itself might be shorting the wires or shorting them. What should the values be at the terminals?

2. How much of a pain at this point is taking it out? I know...it's all a pain under the cowl but is it easier to just try and take the whole frame assembly out? Open to any and all suggestions.

A few pictures. Of course, you start by replacing and the tie rods and new sway bar and it slowly starts to travel through the whole front end...."While Your're There".
headbang.gif icon8.gif

BTW car is a 73 with the column switch.

Click to view attachment
914_teener
Pics-

Click to view attachment
914_teener
Nuther... wires disconnected

Click to view attachment
914_teener
More meltage.. looks like it stopped about 12 inches from the motor.

Click to view attachment
toolguy
Looks like you have the tank and blower out. . taking out the WW motor is a snap from there.
It has one rubber cushion mount {10mm nut} thru to the inside under the dash and the wiper arm nuts under the wiper arm covers. . You may have binding on the linkage putting too much strain on the wiper motor. . . Rather than try to fix, you can probably get a known good unit in the wanted ads. .
Hope you've got the battery disconnected while your fiddling with the wiring. .
Wyvern
Very closely semi related,
I was in the same boat , no wipers, but mine was the column switch.

But posting this to help you and others . remove the wiper arms when messing, trouble shooting.
I finally got mine working and piratenanner.gif
My excitement of finally having power to the motor and could hear the wipers working as I was under the dash...They hadn't found park.
This placed the arms right on the paint on the cowl making 2 nice little scratches. headbang.gif
r_towle
The mechanism requires oil more than once every 40 years......just sayin
Garland
I don't think it's the motor. If the burn, stopped short of the motor, then where did it start? I know it sounds simple, but it's true. Check under the dash at the steering column, for the wires leading to the switch. If there's no sign of burnt wire, Lower and look above the fuse panel and behind the dash. There may be a short to the dash frame were a wire casing has rubbed through.

Reference picture

Click to view attachment
914_teener
Yes very true, that's while since I've got it there, it should probably come out and get re-habed oiled tested ect. Very rarely have I used em.

I figure that since the wiring melted from the motor back, the armature may be gone.

It just goes to show you once the car goes up on jackstands, you find other crap to take care of.

I have heard that the rubber grommet through the dash is a PITA and usually breaks. One more thing to get?

914_teener
QUOTE(Garland @ Mar 28 2016, 07:41 PM) *

I don't think it's the motor. If the burn, stopped short of the motor, then where did it start? I know it sounds simple, but it's true. Check under the dash at the steering column, for the wires leading to the switch. If there's no sign of burnt wire, Lower and look above the fuse panel and behind the dash. There may be a short to the dash frame were a wire casing has rubbed through.

Good point. I'll drop the fuse panel and check for melted wires there. Got the Haynes manual out now. Gonna wrap it up tonight, spent all day finishing the front suspension and was waiting on a ball joint from Pelican. Hope it shows up tomorrow so I can get it back down on the ground, then the wiring will be easier to work on especially under the dash.

ClayPerrine
I would suggest that you take the wiper mechanism out of the car and disassemble it. Clean the pivot shafts and make sure they move freely. The design of the front cowl lets water build up around the shafts, and they rust inside the frame. That will cause the motor to work hard just to move the wipers. That may cause wire failure or burnout of the motor.

BTDT.....

914_teener
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 29 2016, 06:23 AM) *

I would suggest that you take the wiper mechanism out of the car and disassemble it. Clean the pivot shafts and make sure they move freely. The design of the front cowl lets water build up around the shafts, and they rust inside the frame. That will cause the motor to work hard just to move the wipers. That may cause wire failure or burnout of the motor.

BTDT.....

Yes... looks like Jim is gonna set me up with all new wires for the switch and motor. Gonna just take it out at this point and take a look at it and test the switch, new wires, and motor.

Thanks for the advice Clay.

BTW what if it is the motor? Good luck right...NLA? Any viable solutions other than stock?

Thanks for everyone's advice.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(914_teener @ Mar 29 2016, 10:46 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 29 2016, 06:23 AM) *

BTDT.....

Yes... looks like Jim is gonna set me up with all new wires for the switch and motor. Gonna just take it out at this point and take a look at it and test the switch, new wires, and motor.

Thanks for the advice Clay.

BTW what if it is the motor? Good luck right...NLA? Any viable solutions other than stock?

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Find a wiper motor from a 964. It will bolt to the factory 914 bracket. With a little wiring it will work and give you a 3 speed motor, or a fixed delay low.

Or just find a used one. Lots of people like me have a parts hoard. I am sure someone in the Peoples Republic of California has one for sale.
porschetub
[quote name='914_teener' date='Mar 30 2016, 04:46 PM' post='2322181']
[quote name='ClayPerrine' post='2321860' date='Mar 29 2016, 06:23 AM']

BTDT.....
[/quote]

Some good idea's being added here,may help me as I have a slow running motor,fixing my switch did help,so will look @ lubing up the drive shafts.
Any good auto-electrical shop can strip your motor and service it,this involves testing the armature and fields,if ok they will polish commutator and recut segments,fit new brushes and away you go.
Good idea to clean out the gearbox and repack gears with the correct grease also.
Buying used is your option if yours is toast but be aware even a good used motor can benefit from a strip,check and clean ,lets face it NO one wants to be changing these to often sad.gif ,good luck.
76-914
icon_bump.gif
914_teener
Finished. Works perfect now. Cleaned and rewired everything. Even the fresh air fan works perfect and controls slide like butter. Took all weekend and ironically rained here the whole time.

Huge thanks to Jim Hoyland for the donor wires and connectors which made a PITA job easier.

Now for an alignment and hope to take the car to the G and R .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.