Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My First 914 & 2nd Porsche In a Month!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
TM_Corey
My almost two year search for a 911 ended a couple weeks ago with the purchase of my first Porsche, a 2010 Carrera S. But before it did a buddy who knew only that I was looking for a "Porsche" called and said his father in law had one that he had decided to sell. A quick description of the car led me to believe it was probably a 914.

After a month of agonizing of what the car may look like (due to the owners wife being hospitalized shortly after I found out about it) I was finally able to see and utimatley pick up the car today.

From what I was told it is a 1974 2.0 that is all original except the radio and the muffler. The owner bought it brand new in 1974 and it hasn't left the Indy area in 42 years. From 1974-1980 it was a year round daily driver. From 1980-1991 it was a "fun car". From 1991 to today it was a work bench in his garage under cover. I could tell that he truly loved this car as it was an emotional day for him today as I loaded it.

The car came with 100% documentation, down to every bit of work, oil change, warranty work, manual, window sticker, orignal sales receipt.... The works.

The interior is beautiful, the body has its paint surface bubbles and a door has a corner rusted through. The hell hole is rusted through, but remarkably the rest of the car seems very solid.

Hoping to have it running soon!!!
TM_Corey
IPB Image

TM_Corey
IPB Image

TM_Corey
Sorry for the choppy posting of pics. Trying to figure out a new phone I will post several more from a computer tomorrow.

IPB Image
TM_Corey
IPB Image
Pursang
Congratulations on your two new acquisitions. Lots of opportunities for fun. I was a little puzzled by the billing information for the original owner. The factory invoice lists the chrome bumpers, sway bars, tinted glass, and undercoating and then they are repeated in the smaller shop invoice. There must be some simple explanation but it isn't obvious to me. confused24.gif
TM_Corey
QUOTE(Pursang @ Mar 28 2016, 10:42 PM) *

Congratulations on your two new acquisitions. Lots of opportunities for fun. I was a little puzzled by the billing information for the original owner. The factory invoice lists the chrome bumpers, sway bars, tinted glass, and undercoating and then they are repeated in the smaller shop invoice. There must be some simple explanation but it isn't obvious to me. confused24.gif

Thanks!

Not sure about the items being repeated. The typed one is the actual original window sticker and the handwritten one is his original receipt.

TM_Corey
IPB Image

IPB Image
TM_Corey
IPB Image

IPB Image
TM_Corey
IPB Image

IPB Image
PlantMan
Is that an 8 track tape???
Not original but cool jut the same!
TM_Corey
QUOTE(PlantMan @ Mar 28 2016, 11:18 PM) *

Is that an 8 track tape???
Not original but cool jut the same!

I kid you not, when I saw the 8 track my first thought was "damn, it's not all original" but shortly after I thought "that is sooo bad ass!!" I then went straight to eBay to find Grateful Dead 8 track tapes. beer.gif
GaroldShaffer
Nice, welcome to the madness, looks like you have a little project on your hands. I'm up in Portage Indiana. I host a 914 BBQ event every year in August. Check the link below for some pictures and such. We are doing it again this August, just haven't set the date yet. Also have parts (I know, I know, shameless plug) biggrin.gif

2015 link -----> CLICK HERE

welcome.png
TM_Corey
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Mar 29 2016, 04:59 AM) *

Nice, welcome to the madness, looks like you have a little project on your hands. I'm up in Portage Indiana. I host a 914 BBQ event every year in August. Check the link below for some pictures and such. We are doing it again this August, just haven't set the date yet. Also have parts (I know, I know, shameless plug) biggrin.gif

welcome.png

Thanks!

I actually sent you a Facebook friend request last week. You will notice which one when you see the last name. smile.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(TM_Corey @ Mar 29 2016, 06:23 AM) *

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Mar 29 2016, 04:59 AM) *

welcome.png

Thanks!

I actually sent you a Facebook friend request last week. You will notice which one when you see the last name. smile.gif

Ahh, I was wondering who you were. beerchug.gif
Java2570
QUOTE(TM_Corey @ Mar 29 2016, 12:18 AM) *

My almost two year search for a 911 ended a couple weeks ago with the purchase of my first Porsche, a 2010 Carrera S. But before it did a buddy who knew only that I was looking for a "Porsche" called and said his father in law had one that he had decided to sell. A quick description of the car led me to believe it was probably a 914.

After a month of agonizing of what the car may look like (due to the owners wife being hospitalized shortly after I found out about it) I was finally able to see and utimatley pick up the car today.

From what I was told it is a 1974 2.0 that is all original except the radio and the muffler. The owner bought it brand new in 1974 and it hasn't left the Indy area in 42 years. From 1974-1980 it was a year round daily driver. From 1980-1991 it was a "fun car". From 1991 to today it was a work bench in his garage under cover. I could tell that he truly loved this car as it was an emotional day for him today as I loaded it.

The car came with 100% documentation, down to every bit of work, oil change, warranty work, manual, window sticker, orignal sales receipt.... The works.

The interior is beautiful, the body has its paint surface bubbles and a door has a corner rusted through. The hell hole is rusted through, but remarkably the rest of the car seems very solid.

Hoping to have it running soon!!!

welcome.png That's awesome! I used to spend a lot of time at Kline VW/Porsche/Audi when I was kid. My Dad got his VW's serviced there and it was the first place I got to sit in a 914.
Cairo94507
Way to dip your toe into the pond. I like your '74 and its history. Nice buy and good color too. welcome.png
Big Len
Best of luck with it.

Let's see a pic of that "other" Porsche.
TM_Corey
QUOTE(Big Len @ Mar 29 2016, 08:16 AM) *

Best of luck with it.

Let's see a pic of that "other" Porsche.

She is my first love.

IPB Image
brant
Nice cars and welcome!

pull the rockers
I fear you have more rust than you realize
Jett
Congrats, but be careful, Porsche's are addictive!! In the last two years I have bought 6 and look for new "special old" ones everyday smile.gif. Now we need a new home with more garage smile.gif.
PanelBilly
Great find. Time to do brakes and fuel lines before you take it on the road.
DavidSweden
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Mar 29 2016, 08:39 AM) *

Great find. Time to do brakes and fuel lines before you take it on the road.

...and the rust. Theres more than you think
Tom_T
welcome.png
Great Color drooley.gif wub.gif & OO time capsule! shades.gif

IMHO, try to keep it as original as possible.
Even those chrome & vinyl side-bump-strips were period correct dealer accessories.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
74ravenna
Love the car. Great color.

Yours came off the assembly line 47 cars after mine.
Mine has an 8-track and the side bump-strips as well, which i really like.

So has it not been started since 1991?
If not, let us know how it goes for you when you get to that point.

Also for those that know these cars, were chrome bumpers an option in 74? Or was that an "aftermarket" thing?

TM_Corey
More pics as promised.
TM_Corey
More plus 2
TM_Corey
and lastly....
JeffBowlsby
Pull off those lower side valences and see what they look like. that's the acid test. That and the engine shelf recess forward of and under the battery.
TM_Corey
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 29 2016, 05:27 PM) *

Pull off those lower side valences and see what they look like. that's the acid test. That and the engine shelf recess forward of and under the battery.

It is going to have to wait a day or two....I am pooped after a 12 hour day and then 2 hours playing with the kids.

It's Stella and couch time! beer3.gif
EdwardBlume
welcome.png

Tell people you own a 914- it separates the drivers from the wine and cheese folks.
TM_Corey
QUOTE(74ravenna @ Mar 29 2016, 03:00 PM) *

Love the car. Great color.

Yours came off the assembly line 47 cars after mine.
Mine has an 8-track and the side bump-strips as well, which i really like.

So has it not been started since 1991?
If not, let us know how it goes for you when you get to that point.

Also for those that know these cars, were chrome bumpers an option in 74? Or was that an "aftermarket" thing?

Correct, in 1991 he wsa driving it was a "fun car". One day after fun car driving he drove it home, put it in the garage, put the cover over it, and didn't pull the cover off until he sent me the first photos about a month ago.
brant
You have a big big job ahead.
Do you weld yet?
jor
You seem to have a 914-6 ancillary gauge, not just the world's coolest 8-track. biggrin.gif

That's a lot of rust, though .... blink.gif
TM_Corey
QUOTE(brant @ Mar 29 2016, 05:49 PM) *

You have a big big job ahead.
Do you weld yet?

Nope, but my part time (play money) paycheck does.... smile.gif

I never had anyone that helped me maintenance wise with cars, except for the minor stuff like oil changes, brakes etc. I have no body work or modification experience.

I have deep appreciation of them, but mostly just from dozens of car shows with my dad, books, magazines, and of coarse TV.

My 997.2 was/is my first car that I bought as a purely fun (non-essential) car except for a TJ jeep I used to own.
turk22
welcome.png

its cool getting a one owner nicely original car!

But it sure looks like it was a daily driver for a decade or so....

good luck, you'll find lots of helpful folks here...
Cal
Nice '74 and great color. It looks like the tach might be original but the other two gauges have been replaced with the earlier silver disk type.

BTW....you'll probably have to sell the 997 to help pay for the rust repairs smile.gif
TM_Corey
So am I being a newbie, or should I not be happy about finding this under my rusty dented rocker covers?

The factory applied undercoating is the only place on the rockers that has a bit of surface rust (under the undercoating). It stops a couple inches in front of the jack hole and It flakes of very easy and is solid underneath it. Almost as if it trapped moisture between the undercoating and the metal.

Everything else is clean and even has nice original paint.
TM_Corey
Underbody
KELTY360
Better than expected but the real test is the passenger side. You've got a nice package there with the color, equipment and documentation, but the sheer number of rusted areas, and as yet undiscovered rot, is going to necessitate a major resto. Good luck and don't despair. A fully sorted 914 is more fun than..... idea.gif idea.gif idea.gif ....I got nothing, I'm stumped.

welcome.png
r_towle
It's the other side you need to show.....
TM_Corey
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 2 2016, 03:53 PM) *

It's the other side you need to show.....

I have to have help pushing it out of the barn. That side is up against the wall. Hopefully tomorrow.
TM_Corey
QUOTE(Cal @ Mar 29 2016, 07:01 PM) *

It looks like the tach might be original but the other two gauges have been replaced with the earlier silver disk type.

Just found a dealer warranty service receipt saying the tach was replaced in 1975 under warranty because it "sticks when cold".
TM_Corey
Passenger side rockers and hell hole.
TM_Corey
I have an appointment with a place in Indianapolis next week that has done several vintage 911, 912 and 914 restorations.

Probably going to start with just the body work and paint and then recoup some cash and decide what I want to do with the motor. I hate to use anything except the original motor considering how original the car is.
EdwardBlume
You're smart to go after the body. Looks like these some work to do. Good luck!
TM_Corey
Well it has begun! Decided to go mechanical instead of body work first. I plan to drive it this summer and then start the body work this winter.

It's in the shop, this week will be:

New Fuel Lines
New Fuel Filter
Clean Fuel Tank
"New" rebuilt Fuel Pump
Clean Injectors
New Vacuums lines
Replace points with Pertronix
New Bosch Blue Coil
New Plugs
New Plug Wires
New Cap & Rotor
New Master Cylinder
New Brake Hoses
Rebuid The Calipers
Repack front wheel bearings
New Front wheel seals
Turn or Replace all 4 Rotors
Replace CV axle boots
Clean & Repack CV Joints
Replace Pushrod Return Tubes
Adjust Valves
New Valve Cover Gasket
Replace Oil Cooler Seals
Replace Sump Cover Seal
Oil Change & Filter
New Battery
Repaint Original Wheels
New Tires (195/60/15)
TM_Corey
QUOTE(Cal @ Mar 29 2016, 07:01 PM) *

Nice '74 and great color. It looks like the tach might be original but the other two gauges have been replaced with the earlier silver disk type.

BTW....you'll probably have to sell the 997 to help pay for the rust repairs smile.gif

According to the owner (and the warranty receipt), the tach is the one that was replaced due to "not working when cold". He says the other gauges were in it when he bought it. I have the original warranty receipt.
Mike Bellis
That's a California parts car... poke.gif

My guess is they use salt on the roads in winter?
TM_Corey
Some update pics!!

Decided to also do new motor mounts, sand blast and paint all the motor pieces, and crack the motor and replace the gaskets and rings.

Haven't decided on the cam and lifters, going to see what they look like.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.