Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
StratPlayer
Heres a shot of my oil cooler, its in a 76 2.0 efi. had this installed when I had the engine rebuilt last year,, I now have some alumn. bar installed to protect the cooler and a space saving spare.
cha914
any pics of how you ran the lines in the fender well? I am planning on running mine under the gas tank and along the passenger side rocker where the ac line used to be...
Brad
Very close to the way I run them (when I run them inside the tub) I have to agree about running the lines in the rockers and over the cross bar. Only about 8 inches of my braided lines are exposed in this style of mounting.

B
L8Apex
I'm still deciding where to put my cooler. under engine bay or up front?
Brad Roberts
Keep it away from the engine bay (heat soak) The engine grill idea is great for people who rarely see lap times under 2:20 at THILL in a 2.0 914 (record in a injected 2.0 914 is 2:14) You have to have clean air flowing across them to work (like this guy did and like we do)

Mount it up front.

B
L8Apex
yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm doing it up front. Hmm, now to find some $ for the braided lines.
MJHanna
AeroQuip makes a Blue hose (also black) that cares the same properties as the braided line at a significant reduction in price. Also it is easier to install the connections than the steel braided lines. wink.gif
JmuRiz
Has anyone tried putting a cooler in the trunk...say on a track car? On a street car it might make the targa-storage disappear. Just a zany idea. Or maybe aft the rear wheel...w/ a vent a-la 996 turbo (w/ it's intercoolers).

Nathan
MJHanna
I’ve seen it done in both locations, still a lot of heat back there, plus running lines to the front help with the heat transfer.
Dave_Darling
MikeZ's "Rocket" had a cooler inside the rear trunk. Or at least, in a cutout of the rear trunk floor. He had a fan over it with a grille over that, so we always teased him about having a BBQ in the back of his 914. I recall that the air came in from the engine bay through the two holes where the targa top latches went (he popped out the plastic caps that go there) and went out through the hole in the trunk floor.

--DD
J P Stein
I put mine in the nose.
I know of several guys that put it in the rear trunk, but if you're really serious about heat dissipation......

Either way, GOOD thremostat is needed if you have a 6.
I don't think (but don't really know ) if the t-4 oil pump puts out enuff pressure to hurt a good cooler....the 6er does, fer sure.
Avoid tight bends in the line....and fittings.
Good fittings...none of them hose clamp jobbies.

Bring money.

Summit and Racers Wholesale (warehouse?) have the bestest prices for lines & fittings.
kdfoust
Those engine bay coolers make no sense whatsoever to me. It's like, what, 150-180 deg in there?

I saw a neat intercooler setup at GCF. The guy had mounted the intercooler at the rear of the rear trunk bay right inside of where the PORSCHE reflector would go. The space between the taillights was done up with a expanded metal mesh. He then fabbed a new trunk lid that had a recess to allow air flow through the intercooler (which way the air would flow on this setup I've got no idea - but maybe "backwards"). The whole setup looked pretty stealth until you got right up close to the car. I'll see if I can find some digipix of this setup when I get home.

Have fun,
Kevin
drew365
Mine is mounted under the car, between the trans and rear bumper with an auxilary fan and a small aluminum shroud to funnel air through it. My engine is very modified and I've never gotten it over about 270o on the track. I doubt that I'll ever bother to move it up front unless I move up to a 3.2 in the distant future. Real distant I hope.
bernbomb914
Drew do you have any pics of your installation?

Bernie cool_shades.gif
drew365
Drew do you have any pics of your installation?

I don't have pics but I can probably take some and post them Saturday.
74GoKart
What about Rich Johnson's setup? Seems that if it works in TX it should be okay everywhere else.
Dave_Darling
The German Auto Fest car--I drove in to the event and passed him on the freeway.

We only have the one pic of this car on our website--
http://www.pelicanparts.com/swapmeet_pics/...ML/Page-205.htm

I know I took a couple of pics of it, but my photos didn't make it onto the web site. Bummer...

--DD
campbellcj
My ravenna car had a huge Earls cooler under the rear trunk floor (like the pic above, except on the right side and farther back away from the exhaust).

It made a very noticable difference, but not enough for serious track use. Without it though, that car would essentially just keep zooming up, to 300F if you'd let it. I just ran Mobil1 in the car and prayed to the 914 gots when the temps inched over 250. At 260-270 I would immediately pull off track and go for a cool-off drive.

I suspect it might help if the cooler were tilted downwards so that it caught a bit more airflow. Or even completely "vertical" if it was one of those wide & short coolers.

Without an external cooler, my current car (2.4/four) runs about 230F max (normally more like 210-220) in street driving and interestingly stays a tad cooler than the previous car on the track. But it still gets way too f'ing hot...so it is about to get a mondo front cooler in a week or two. I will need to be able to run 30 minutes at near-redline in 100-115F ambient temps.
J P Stein
OK, what's the ideal temp for a 6er?
What's too hot?
Brad Roberts
We have beat the piss out of our 914/6 with a pumped 3.0 over the last 2 years (without a external cooler) and it ran 230 on hot days.

I spoke with a 911 engine dyno guru today who said they noticed large drops in HP with anything over 215deg. Bruce Anderson backed this up with what Woods has found on his dyno. I can understand the concern for a full blown race car, but a street car wouldnt notice a 5-8hp decrease in HP after sitting in traffic.

I will make an effort to keep our race cars around 195. Street cars are safe to 230 with synthetic (in my book)

B
campbellcj
I think 220F is a happy number. Just enough to get the condensation vaporized without cooking anything.

On another note, I was kinda shocked when I noticed the "normal" street oil temp for my S4 is 250-ish. Middle of the gauge. I keep meaning to look in the manual to see what they consider "too hot". These cars (and several other new turbo cars) run 0-30W Mobil1, which is also pretty weird. I guess the thin oil flows better, and helps minimize power losses.
Brad Roberts
I'm running 0 W30 in the air cooled cars now. Your S4 gets real hot. I forget what Tony told me his S4 ran temp wise.

You guy's recall when I ran Julius for the first time without a cooler at Buttonwillow ?? It went to 250deg. in 2 laps on the stock cooler. LOL

B
SirAndy
brad, check yer mail :-)
campbellcj
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jan 30 2003, 10:53 PM)
I'm running 0 W30 in the air cooled cars now. Your S4 gets real hot. I forget what Tony told me his S4 ran temp wise.

You guy's recall when I ran Julius for the first time without a cooler at Buttonwillow ?? It went to 250deg. in 2 laps on the stock cooler. LOL

B

When I was at Willow a couple weeks ago, we were running 30 minute sessions and I had to pull off at the 15-20 minute mark. The car was cooking...don't wanna do that again.

The S4 seems totally normal at like 230-250. The water temp is dead center (no #'s) when the oil is that hot. Remember it gets to 110 here in the summer, which doesn't help any. "Only" 85 today.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.