Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Subaru axels length question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tazz9924
how much do i need to cut the 914 axels when im using: Subaru 25 tooth inner cv, 914 axel, 914 outer cv. i need this info so i can get my axels cut and reslined to except the Subaru 5mt. If nothing else how do I measure this to find out?
(Using ians trans hangars and 02 legacy cvs if that makes a difference.)
R_u_dd
This depends on a lot of factors. Which cradle are you using?

Try mounting your engine and mocking up an axle using a spare or a metal dowel. With a spare you can cut shorter and weld angle iron to splint the axle. Adjust the tack welds to the proper length. Account for play in the suspension accordingly. The Subaru has about an inch of travel.

There are lots of axle threads out there. See my Porscheru thread for ideas but I'm certainly not the authority on this.
nsyr
18 7/8. I did 19in and it was a hair long. Made it difficult to install.
jimkelly
here is one thread, see post #179, to see how some arrive at proper length.

by cutting 2 axles in half, attaching the 914 axle and cv to wheel and attaching subaru axle and cv to trans and measuring the gap. welding the two together and removing, and measuring total length of axle created.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...3031&st=100

jim
76-914
try reading thru the suby conversion threads. the answer to your question is out there plus you'll pick up some valuable info from those who've done this. rolleyes.gif
1stworks
I installed cv's joints and used wooden dowels to get measurements.

IPB Image

IPB Image
tazz9924
QUOTE(nsyr @ Mar 30 2016, 04:58 AM) *

18 7/8. I did 19in and it was a hair long. Made it difficult to install.

First off thanks for all the replies! second what type of cradle did you use for this length?
nsyr
My cradle. I made it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.