Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Original rear shocks?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jack20
Does anyone know what shocks came on an early 74 2.0?
I just removed a pair of orange Boge shocks today. Just wondering if they're original equipment.
Thanks,
Jack
Tom_T
If those are the originals of any color or type, IMHO they'd be pretty gone by now after 40+ years! blink.gif

Boge were the basic equipment & IIRC they were black or dark grey back then.

Bilstein were an option & were green back then.

Koni were red, but I don't think you could order them that way as an option, but many of us used them after the OE Boge's "gave up the ghost."

BTW - up front the same colors for the inserts up front, & factory option Bilstein front struts themselves were also green (you can get Bil.inserts to fit the black Boge struts today, as well as Koni).

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
jack20
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 29 2016, 11:23 PM) *

If those are the originals of any color or type, IMHO they'd be pretty gone by now after 40+ years! blink.gif

Boge were the basic equipment & IIRC they were black or dark grey back then.

Bilstein were an option & were green back then.

Koni were red, but I don't think you could order them that way as an option, but many of us used them after the OE Boge's "gave up the ghost."

BTW - up front the same colors for the inserts up front, & factory option Bilstein front struts themselves were also green (you can get Bil.inserts to fit the black Boge struts today, as well as Koni).

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Tom,
You mentioned the inserts up front. This jogged my memory. I replaced the inserts about a month ago while I was doing the bushings and brakes. The we're also orange Boge. (Shot, btw) now this leads my to think that they were original to the car or changed at the same by one of the two POs.
Now that they're removed, along with the entire drivetrain and suspension, might as well replace them.
Thanks,
Jack
Jett
I was fortunate enough to purchase NOS front bilstien struts and rear bilstien shocks (in the original packaging), both are green.
Optimusglen
I have a pair of orange Boge shocks that came with my car, these are NIB and will probably be mounted up to my car at some point.

IPB Image
rgolia
I have an early 74. Original shocks were green. I replaced them in 1979. For some odd reason I actually remember the occasion, maybe because it was the first time I really did something mechanical to the car. I can remember that from over 30 years ago but cannot remember what I had for dinner last night.
914Sixer
If your shocks were green they were Bilsteins. They were a factory option. Are the fronts green too?
porschetub
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 31 2016, 02:34 PM) *

If your shocks were green they were Bilsteins. They were a factory option. Are the fronts green too?

So yellow bilsteins are later add on's ?
76-914
icon_bump.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.