Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: weird slippy clutch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
arsprod
Before I admit I'm in denial about having to replace my clutch I want to see if I'm missing anything. I noticed last weekend after driving awhile (car up to temp) that I can get the clutch to slip in 4th gear at low speeds (too lazy to shift). It doesn't do this in any other lower gear and moves from a stop smartly in 1st or 2nd. The clutch cable is fairly new and has about 3/4" of free play at the pedal. Am I missing something? Thanks,

Aaron
colingreene
being too lazy to shift and lugging the motor is a good way to destroy it.
If the clutch slips and the cable is not poorly adjusted or the pedal cluster is not sticking you need to replace it period.
screenguy914
Yes. You're missing sufficient friction.

Here's another test for a suspected worn clutch:

At a vehicle speed of approx. 20-35 mph in an upper gear (4th/5th), depress clutch pedal and engine increase engine speed to about 4000 rpm at the same time you suddenly engage the clutch.

If the clutch assembly is good (no broken springs, friction lining, etc.) and free play is to spec, the vehicle should lurch forward as the clutch engages. If the engine speed continues at 4000 rpm, it's slipping.

S

arsprod
QUOTE(screenguy914 @ Mar 30 2016, 03:39 PM) *

Yes. You're missing sufficient friction.

Here's another test for a suspected worn clutch:

At a vehicle speed of approx. 20-35 mph in an upper gear (4th/5th), depress clutch pedal and engine increase engine speed to about 4000 rpm at the same time you suddenly engage the clutch.

If the clutch assembly is good (no broken springs, friction lining, etc.) and free play is to spec, the vehicle should lurch forward as the clutch engages. If the engine speed continues at 4000 rpm, it's slipping.

S

that's helpful - I'll try
6freak
QUOTE(arsprod @ Mar 30 2016, 06:47 AM) *

Before I admit I'm in denial about having to replace my clutch I want to see if I'm missing anything. I noticed last weekend after driving awhile (car up to temp) that I can get the clutch to slip in 4th gear at low speeds (too lazy to shift). It doesn't do this in any other lower gear and moves from a stop smartly in 1st or 2nd. The clutch cable is fairly new and has about 3/4" of free play at the pedal. Am I missing something? Thanks,

Aaron

may seem like a silly ?but did you crawl under and adjust it
MikeC
arsprod
QUOTE(6freak @ Mar 30 2016, 04:59 PM) *

QUOTE(arsprod @ Mar 30 2016, 06:47 AM) *

Aaron

may seem like a silly ?but did you crawl under and adjust it
MikeC

Not silly at all - and it occurred to me that the newish cable probably stretched. Good catch, thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.