Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch Cable removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NS914
Hey Guys, I am once again demonstrating my newbness...can anyone direct me to a step by step or simply tell me how to remove my clutch cable. I am wondering is there a clip that holds it in place or has it simply rusted itself into the firewall.

It is disconnected from the pedal assembly and the transmission.

Much thanks, Grant
3d914
QUOTE(NS914 @ Mar 30 2016, 11:55 AM) *

Hey Guys, I am once again demonstrating my newbness...can anyone direct me to a step by step or simply tell me how to remove my clutch cable. I am wondering is there a clip that holds it in place or has it simply rusted itself into the firewall.

It is disconnected from the pedal assembly and the transmission.

Much thanks, Grant

Grant, here's an article on the bird site that addresses clutch removal and includes a section for the clutch cable.

Good luck
Steve
I did everything with a Haynes manual. And when I installed a six I added the 911 Haynes manuals and PET cd.
r_towle
No clip, pull harder
ClayPerrine
Make sure you remove the clevis and jam nut from the pedal end of the cable.

Then pull really hard from the engine compartment side.

pilothyer
I know it may be too late now, but after disconnecting the cable threaded end from the front clevis, cut off about 1/4 inch from the threads on the front of the cable for easier removal from the tube.(better yet cut the whole end off) You may also need to cut about 1/4 inch from the front threaded end of the new cable for easier insertion.................you won't miss 1/4 inch at all, but it will go in much easier.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(pilothyer @ Mar 30 2016, 08:28 PM) *

I know it may be too late now, but after disconnecting the cable threaded end from the front clevis, cut off about 1/4 inch from the threads on the front of the cable for easier removal from the tube.(better yet cut the whole end off) You may also need to cut about 1/4 inch from the front threaded end of the new cable for easier insertion.................you won't miss 1/4 inch at all, but it will go in much easier.

Why?? confused24.gif

30 years of owning and working on 914s and I have never heard this.

How could 1/4 inch make the cable easier to insert or remove?

r_towle
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 30 2016, 09:31 PM) *

Why?? confused24.gif

Thanks for asking, I was too lazy
pilothyer
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 30 2016, 08:31 PM) *

Why?? confused24.gif

I don't know why, but after 40 years of replacing clutch cables, I have found this to be true.............especially in the last 10 years. I have had old cables get stuck upon removal and I have had new cables get stuck when trying to inset them after only about 1 foot or so was inserted. I would cut about 1/4 inch off the threads and it would always go right in..............Not trying to add drama to a simple clutch cable replacement, but simply reporting what I have found..........I am sure I am not the only one to ever have a problem in this area.
r_towle
So,
Magic?
pilothyer
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 30 2016, 09:07 PM) *

So,
Magic?

Yep.........Pure Magic. happy11.gif
Dave_Darling
There is a bit of a kink in the clutch tube inside the center tunnel. Some cables have a tough time getting the end through the kink, especially if there is any rust inside the tube. In the past, people have knocked the corners off the end of the solid metal bit on the end of the cable. That can help it to get through that section of the tube.

--DD
r_towle
Typical engineer comes in and ruins my fantasy that magic is real.
76-914
icon_bump.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.