Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Have YOU replaced your blaupunkt radio yet?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
9fourteen14
Do You or HAVE you replaced your Blaupunkt AM FM radio for an ANDROID gps monitor radio yet?

which one did you use?
I am kinda sick of listening to broadcast radio.
I want satellite radio. and i want to be able to play my ipod, or insert my thumb drive
which is full of music.

my plan is to keep the original for obvious purposes. but for now while i have it i want it to FIT my needs.

so lets share.. I have seen no other mention of this. if so I am so sorry and please point me in that direction.

thanx so much
914 luva

I love my 74 2.0

check out my blog:9FOURTEEN14.BLOGSPOT.COM
Tom_T
You might want to check out Woodies, since they have both plug-n-play adapters for the old school radios to use iphone & android etc. devices through the existing radio, as well as retro look modern radios.

They also have some slick small speakers which you can put under or behind the 914 seats for full 4 speaker output - without having to hack up the door panels or floor foam for them!

http://woodyscustomshop.com/online-store/

I'll be reinstalling my dealer-OE Motorola AM/FM/8-track with both their adapter & extra speakers, the speakers I can remove for car shows - & the whole set-up will look Old School for car shows etc.!

PS - I agree that broadcast radio sucks now for folks like me who like the 50's, 60's & 70's Oldies music - since even the old granddaddy of Oldies KERTH 101.1 hhere in LA has completed divorced themselves of the old Wolfman Jack & Charlie Tuna et al days of true Oldies - & now only play a short & ever repeating list of Disco BS & 80's - 90's stiff - which ain't my gig!
blowup.gif

That may okay for you young-uns, but not for me, & it P.O.'s me that they stole the last bastion of Oldies!!!! mad.gif

OK .... off my soapbox now.... dry.gif

At least I can pick MY Oldies on Pandora! shades.gif

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
9fourteen14
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 30 2016, 03:14 PM) *

You might want to check out Woodies, since they have both plug-n-play adapters for the old school radios to use iphone & android etc. devices through the existing radio, as well as retro look modern radios.

They also have some slick small speakers which you can put under or behind the 914 seats for full 4 speaker output - without having to hack up the door panels or floor foam for them!

http://woodyscustomshop.com/online-store/

I'll be reinstalling my dealer-OE Motorola AM/FM/8-track with both their adapter & extra speakers, the speakers I can remove for car shows - & the whole set-up will look Old School for car shows etc.!

PS - I agree that broadcast radio sucks now for folks like me who like the 50's, 60's & 70's Oldies music - since even the old granddaddy of Oldies KERTH 101.1 hhere in LA has completed divorced themselves of the old Wolfman Jack & Charlie Tuna et al days of true Oldies - & now only play a short & ever repeating list of Disco BS & 80's - 90's stiff - which ain't my gig!
blowup.gif

That may okay for you young-uns, but not for me, & it P.O.'s me that they stole the last bastion of Oldies!!!! mad.gif

OK .... off my soapbox now.... dry.gif

At least I can pick MY Oldies on Pandora! shades.gif

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

hi Tom
nice to see you on here..
nah i want a navigation touch screen with an android control.
(I promise I will save my original blaupunkt for later)

anyone know off the top of their head what the radio opening is...
i am assuming 4.5 by 7.

thanx Tom
KTF
Alphaogre
I replaced mine, but not along the lines of what you are probably looking for... biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Behind the stopwatches I just did a direct plug in amp. so you can run a chord(or some offer blue tooth) and just run Pandora or music from my phone to the speakers essentially.

The radio only plays the same 4 songs of any genres anyway... mad.gif
Amphicar770
Single DIN radios, especially with GPS, are becoming extinct. Most look totally out of place in the 914 although I agree that relying on traditional broadcast radio stinks.

I went with the GPS / CD unit from the Boxter. At least it says Porsche on it and is not too blingy. See some of the units I looked at here.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...w=&st=&
Chris914n6
7 or 8" tablet. You can get last years model for $100-150 on ebay. Tether it to your phone and have mobile internet.
I've been eyeballing the Galaxy Tab2 just for this purpose.

You're on your own for fold out brackets or center console mounting.
9fourteen14
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Mar 30 2016, 04:30 PM) *

Single DIN radios, especially with GPS, are becoming extinct. Most look totally out of place in the 914 although I agree that relying on traditional broadcast radio stinks.

I went with the GPS / CD unit from the Boxter. At least it says Porsche on it and is not too blingy. See some of the units I looked at here.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...w=&st=&

speaking of single din (here is the explanation of single and double din)

my head unit now is 7 x 2 but it appears it is big enough for a 7 x 4 head unit

or as i read a 7 x 3 head unit which is very rare but.... so i do not want it to pop out.
it will hit the upper dash.

so i am searching ... when i find something and install it I will let ya know.

914 luva
Optimusglen
I'll be going super light weight for my audio.

IPB Image

DROK mini amplifier. AUX in only, unit gets power and sends out an audio signal to two speakers.
saigon71
If you can live without the GPS feature on your radio, Blaupunkt makes a nice single din head unit that I believe blends in nicely to a 914 dash. It's got the thumb drive adapter and nice sound when hooked up to 6 1/2 " speakers in the aftermarket pods from 914rubber.

Click to view attachment

r_towle
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Mar 30 2016, 04:24 PM) *

I replaced mine, but not along the lines of what you are probably looking for... biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Behind the stopwatches I just did a direct plug in amp. so you can run a chord(or some offer blue tooth) and just run Pandora or music from my phone to the speakers essentially.

The radio only plays the same 4 songs of any genres anyway... mad.gif

How do you accurately start and stop this watches with one hand on the wheel and the ther shifting?
TC 914-8
I just installed a BP420 which has Blutooth, it allows me to stream Pandora and I tunes. Syncs right up within seconds of turning on. I was thinking of a Sony unit but glad I went w BP.
Amphicar770
If you can find a JVC KD-NX5000, a bit outdated but has all the features you are looking for. I replaced the archaic GPS unit from my 2001 Jaguar with one of these.

Click to view attachment
914forme
Bluetooth Amps are becoming readily available.

I went with this one for my build.

Click to view attachment

I used to not care about radio in my 914, I had a fuel gauge over there in the last iteration of the car.
76-914
icon_bump.gif
9fourteen14
QUOTE(TC 914-8 @ Mar 31 2016, 12:24 AM) *

I just installed a BP420 which has Blutooth, it allows me to stream Pandora and I tunes. Syncs right up within seconds of turning on. I was thinking of a Sony unit but glad I went w BP.

Tony who makes that? bp420 LG?

914 luva
Elliot Cannon
My sound system. laugh.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Mar 30 2016, 03:33 PM) *

IPB Image

DROK mini amplifier. AUX in only, unit gets power and sends out an audio signal to two speakers.

Where can I find one of those ? I want to run my iPod without a head unit. smile.gif can the iPod be connected directly to the unit ?
malcolm2
Blaupunkt san francisco. Front and Rear usb. Bought a 12" long cord and ran it into the glove box. Plug in a thumb drive full of music. I use the front usb to charge the phone.

Another cool feature: with the car key off, i push the left radio knob and get an hour of play time. Good feature to use with hot spark cause word is i'll burn the hot spark if the key stays on.

Comes with a remote control. Good thing cause the radio is so far away.
TC 914-8
QUOTE(9fourteen14 @ Mar 31 2016, 03:57 PM) *

QUOTE(TC 914-8 @ Mar 31 2016, 12:24 AM) *

Tony who makes that? bp420 LG?

914 luva

It's a Blaupunkt Toronto 420 I think they are obsolete, Amazon $125 or so. now all I see is different model Sanfrancisco with the same options. I'll post more info later
Optimusglen
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 31 2016, 08:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Mar 30 2016, 03:33 PM) *

IPB Image

Where can I find one of those ? I want to run my iPod without a head unit. smile.gif can the iPod be connected directly to the unit ?

I grabbed mine off of Amazon. Search for DROK mini amplifier.

It amplifies the sound from any 3.5mm standard audio input. So iPod, iPhone,Android phone, other miscellaneous MP3 players, heck a cassette Walkman could be used.

Many smart phones have FM receivers built in now too, so with this all of your audio needs could be covered.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.