Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7-4 engine help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
FastFroggy
I ran into a problem last weekend. Finally able to get some highway running last weekend. Unfortunately on a high speed run i suddenly got a plume of oil smoke.

I will be investigating in more detail this coming weekend, but appreciate any recommendation on what to check. I plan to inspect head cover gasket and oil filter & oil.

Here are a few notes I made:
a. I think the smoke started after I lifted off throttle.
b. head cover gasket appears to have failed again ( replaced only 15-30 miles ago)
c. I am running Webber Carbs, header exhaust and unknown 1.7l cam/piston set.
d. Oil pressure was maintained at all times ( Accusump shows 40psi- idle pressure)
e. I have an crankcase breather hose from the OE filler neck to a separator about 6-8inches over the filler to catch-can about height of OE filler neck.
f. I do not like the color of oil on the inner oil cap. ( looks a little milky ). If it was a water-cooled engine I would say head gasket.
g.underneath is coated with oil on driver side.

Thanks
ChrisFoley
A drip from a leaking valve cover gasket onto a header will make a pretty good smoke cloud.
FastFroggy
It looks like I sucked the driver side cam cover gasket AGAIN!!!! Which is of course the reason for the smoke. What I was trying to figure out is why the passenger side twice in less than 20 miles.
IPB Image

What I know now:
a. found a small spot of porosity on the weakest width of gasket interface, where the gasket got sucked in.
IPB Image

b. the FelPro gasket I put in last time was a but long for the cover length. May have contributed to issue.
IPB Image

PN 021 101 481 fit much better.
IPB Image

c. the left and right cam covers are different. driver side with 2 inner tabs and the passenger side with 6 inner tabs. Passenger side has not leaked yet.
IPB Image

Now the questions where can I get a passenger side cam cover with 6 tabs? and does this make sense as a fix or do I need to keep digging?
Geezer914
Get out the welder welder.gif and make the tabs out of sheet metal. Drill a hole in each one so you can spot weld them to the inside of the valve cover.
ThePaintedMan
Or you can do this one:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...alve_covers.htm

I did it, ran my car at multiple autocrosses and track events and have not had a single issue with the valve covers. Basically just weld in a strip all the way around the inside of the valve cover to hold that gasket in place.
Wyvern
I used the red silicone, lil bit thicker gaskets from 914rubber . ... No Mas leaky
FastFroggy
Thanks

has anyone tried EMPI breather kit to the valve covers?
Randal
QUOTE(FastFroggy @ Apr 10 2016, 04:50 AM) *

Thanks

has anyone tried EMPI breather kit to the valve covers?

I didn't use an EMPI, but bought a bigger one and had no further issues. My first time on the track with a smaller breather produced an oil filled engine compartment.

Click to view attachment

And I did have tubes running from the valve covers to the breather, which was mounted as high as possible.

Click to view attachment

Secondly, for all those having trouble with gaskets, the sure way to fix is to weld in a strip and then use the high temperature gasket material. You won't have any other issues. smile.gif

Click to view attachment
FastFroggy
Many thanks for the insight. time to get welding.... welder.gif

for a couple of tack welds.

Randal
QUOTE(FastFroggy @ Apr 11 2016, 05:15 PM) *

Many thanks for the insight. time to get welding.... welder.gif

for a couple of tack welds.

Suggest you keep the material for the strip as thin as possible, as all it's doing is holding the gasket in place. With aftermarket Pauter rockers, I had to remove some additional material, from the strip, as I did get minor rubbing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.