Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It begins! A Minnesota 914 comes back to life.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DCJosh
After a strange purchasing process, I finally have possession of my 71 914. I was able to pick it up wash it off, vacuum out the mouse droppings and store it in another location closer to me. I have a long way to go, but I am looking forward to learning along the way and documenting it here.

Click to view attachment
DCJosh
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
DCJosh
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
iwanta914-6
Amazing how well that gold still shines! Looking forward to following your progress!
rick 918-S
That's a 70 right? Get busy. We're starting to get enough MN/WI people with cars to have a gathering.
Optimusglen
Awesome man! Been watching that car on CL for quite awhile, will be great to see you dig into it.
Steve
Bump
DCJosh
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Mar 30 2016, 11:41 PM) *

Amazing how well that gold still shines! Looking forward to following your progress!

I wish it still shined like that. It was kind of a rainy day here last weekend and the car was still wet. Maybe with come elbow grease and some rubbing compound, but I am not holding my breath. The car has not been on the road since 1980. I doubt a bucket of water was put on it in that time.

I'll be working on the rust first. The rockers are shot. The hell hole is not too bad, it is not through the side, yet. The longs are not great, but over all they can be repaired.

I will be using this as a start to learning about restoring a car, the catalog process about disassembly and also about getting the engine running. The front suspension is completely shot and I can not compress the break pedal, but the wheels still turn, so I will be learning about break repair as well.

I'm looking forward to it and will keep this thread updated.
rgalla9146
Are you sure that's not a '71 ?
The one seat shiny vinyl interior says 1971 to me.
Nice find
Good luck
Get busy.
914time
Welcome!

Like Rick said, maybe enough 914s in MN/WI to hold a get together this summer?
Optimusglen
QUOTE(914time @ Mar 31 2016, 03:15 PM) *

How many are running though, haha. I foresee two 914's and a half dozen daily drivers show up.
Coondog
Congrats on your purchase. smile.gif
DCJosh
Huh, build date 10/70. Guess I was wrong. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
DCJosh
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Mar 31 2016, 03:38 PM) *

QUOTE(914time @ Mar 31 2016, 03:15 PM) *

How many are running though, haha. I foresee two 914's and a half dozen daily drivers show up.

The plan is to have mine running and road safe by July. Will it be pretty? No.
Larmo63
welcome.png

As you now know, that is a '71 car. The 4206th car of 1971 model year.

Welcome, have fun.
rgalla9146
Did you get four of the alloy wheels with the car ?
They are pretty cool and not often seen on our cars.
American Mags
DCJosh
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 31 2016, 07:18 PM) *

Did you get four of the alloy wheels with the car ?
They are pretty cool and not often seen on our cars.
American Mags

Unfortunately, no. Just 3. I will be selling them though if you are interested.
EdwardBlume
welcome.png
Now get to work!
DCJosh
Any ideas on how to start with new fuel through the lines without taking out the tank?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(DCJosh @ Apr 1 2016, 05:47 PM) *

Any ideas on how to start with new fuel through the lines without taking out the tank?

Pull the tank. It could not be easier. Replace the rotted rubber hoses, get a new fuel sock of the tank and replace the plastic fuel lines in the tunnel with stainless lines. We have seen several cars go up in flames from old cracked and brittle lines and split plastic lines.
DCJosh
Picked these up today.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
DCJosh
These cleaned up well.Click to view attachment
DCJosh
Better living through chemicals:
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
DCJosh
The wheels on the right are after the lye bath.

Click to view attachment
DCJosh
I put in a battery. Optima Red Top. I got dash lights@!!!!!!

Click to view attachment

And one light works!!! beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
DCJosh
I took the opportunity to take out the injectors.
Click to view attachment
DCJosh
Time for a bath.
Click to view attachment
DCJosh
This was just nasty.

Click to view attachment
DCJosh
Its amazing what some paint will do.

Click to view attachment
DCJosh
This was fun:
Click to view attachment
DCJosh
The numbers are the length of time I had the injector holders in the electroplating bath.

Click to view attachment
Optimusglen
Is that your ad on Craigslist looking for 914 wheels in Savage? If you're still looking for something to roll the project around on, you can have the steel wheels off mine for free, all 4 tires hold air but are otherwise bad. Only condition is you have to also take the 4 old tires that came off my Gurneys.
DCJosh
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Apr 22 2016, 10:46 AM) *

Is that your ad on Craigslist looking for 914 wheels in Savage? If you're still looking for something to roll the project around on, you can have the steel wheels off mine for free, all 4 tires hold air but are otherwise bad. Only condition is you have to also take the 4 old tires that came off my Gurneys.

Thanks, but not my ad. I appreciate it though! If you need tires removed and are willing to come to Mankato, I can get rid of them for ya!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.