Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PCA Riverside Region A-X - April 2nd!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brando
Looks like I wont make it to the engine light-off party, but the autocross is exactly a week from today, next Saturday. Get there at about 7:00AM for Tech inspection. We usually get a small number of people (under 30) so we get to do plenty of laps.

There are a few requirements for running on the course:

* Your car must pass tech inspection. Basically, lug bolts are good (96ft/lbs), battery secured (good tray or in another location), and that there are no major leaks.
* You use a snell 1990+ and DOT approved helmet. There are usually enough people that someone can loan one.
* $50 fee for the whole day.

Breakfast is usually provided (doughnuts) and there will be DIs. If it's your first time running, it's reccommended to go with a DI for the first couple of laps.

Finally, it's located at the Orange Show parking lot in San Bernardino, CA. Map attached below. From the west you can take the 91 East, continue on after it merges into the 215, exit Orange Show road (turn right), then turn left onto Arrowhead drive and turn into the parking lot at Gate 1 or where the Porsches are.

Hope to see a few faces, not sure since there's also the Light-off party for headrage's car next saturday as well.
Joe Bob
I would do both if they started laps earlier....fun venue.....like I have a choice...up here we got zip.....but JEEEEZ, they sure do dick around before getting people on the course....

Not that THAT is a BAD thing..... dry.gif
skline
Brando, Last time I attended that AX you didnt even drive. Then some guy takes off driving and crashes and they closed the track. Maybe next time. I would rather eat great food and hang with a bunch of other 914 owners and not tear up my car. Besides, We got cars to get ready for WCC. Destroying them on a track a few weeks before is not a good idea.
skline
All good points Sammy, it looks like it is in the same location as last time though and that dip at the end took off the one guys spoiler. I would go but my car is not ready for one, plus I need to get everything setup here for the party. The season is just starting so I am sure I will make it to the next one with a car that is ready. The BBQ starts around 10 but the food wont show up till around noon. It will be mostly meet and greet and work on the cars till then. Probably get the car fired up around 2 or 3 and do the break in.
SLITS
QUOTE (Sammy @ Mar 27 2005, 09:17 AM)
brando, Is this on the same lot as the last one, or the bigger lot?
I had fun last time but the layout really didn't favor the larger more powerful cars. At least not mine wink.gif The dip at the exit also wasn't ideal.

In all fairness, the crash at the last one was due to a couple of really stupid decisions based on what i have been told or what I observed:
A guy let a buddy "take a lap" in his car just to try it.
The second driver should have been signed up and had an instructor for his first try at AX. This isn't something you just jump in a try. Bad things will happen.
Second, the guy didn't have a helmet that fit or he decided not to wear it. Instead he left it sitting in the passenger seat. STUPID!
Third, the starter let him on the track, without a helmet on, and with it sitting in the passenger seat. Nice way to take your duties seriously, not!

The result was the helmet became a projectile, hitting the inexperienced driver's hands, and caused a wreck at the end of the first straight that most likely totalled the already beat up 944. Darwin was all over that chain of events.

Hopefully all involved learned a valuable lesson and i would not expect it to be repeated.

There is no reason for an intelligent person to expect to tear up his car at an AX. Leave that to the darwin awardees.
Sure, tires will get worn. Sure, brakes will get used hard.
That's about it as far as the dangers of an AX tearing up a car unless you let foolishness take over and cloud better judgement. Same can be said about driving to the supermarket.

I like hanging with friends and eating food and tellings tories, but there are few things in life that are as fun as driving at the limit (in a controlled, safe environment).

You should tell us how you really feel about Chris! Duh!
SLITS
Scott...instead of "break in", I would have used "run in"....You'll make Allan nervous ohmy.gif
skline
Good point Ron, scratch that statement and go with Run in. biggrin.gif
Brando
Very true about the last event scott... But to clear a few things, the guy (Kris Kravig) who ran and wrecked the 944 went after the event was over, before they started picking up cones. With a bad battery tray I couldn't run, would have failed tech. This time i'm all ready to go!

Sammy, yes it's the same lot. I believe the guy who's doing track layouts (Robert Gould) is trying to make them different every time. Last time we had a few people diverting traffic away from our exit point. It was a bad place to put the exit point as some of you saw with the incredibly low GT3 that ruined his spoiler guard. It was an improvement though, because the time before that, the exit point was right behind the entry point, so you had to slam on your brakes to avoid hitting the cars lined up.

This time I have no idea how it will be setup, but I'll pass tech for sure, got my own helmet and can run!!! burnout.gif
Aaron Cox
screw the AX- come to the BBQ brando mad.gif mueba.gif
Brando
Aw, but I want to drive my car... That's the fun part! Now i've got a spare set of wheels so i dont waste my DD tyars. And my own helmet, yay! There won't be another A-X till June, I can't wait 2 months laugh.gif
Joe Bob
Yeah that dip at the end was harsh...I made believe it was a speed bump with SLIT's name on it....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.