Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Darn, went 40 miles and the 914 breaks down :(
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Top off, car running great, no back window, a tad bit loud, but who cares, it's nice and sunny and cruising in the 914 having fun.....about 3/4 of the way to my destination to have lunch with McMark and other 914 nutz, I'm going up the incline on Hwy 80 passing cars while doing an indicated XX+mph MDB2.gif ....all of sudden, power loss, oh damn !!!!

I pull over and find that the wire for the fuel pump has broken (fuel pump moved to front trunk...a previous owner ran a large wire from the factory connector in the engine compartment to the front trunk)....okay, I fix it and no start...bummer, I call McMark and ask how to bypass the fuel pump relay 'cause I've never had to do it before...he tells me and all of sudden I have fuel pressure (I have a gauge in the engine compartment)...still no start however headbang.gif

Now all of a sudden I have the dreaded "hot start" problem, I can turn over the motor while using a screwdriver at the starter, but the car will just turn over and not run....hard to tell if one has spark or what the problem is while under the car turning it over.....I give up after 30 minutes, and call AAA, luckly we have AAA+ so I get 5 100 mile tows per year...this is my 1st one this year.

Ended up going to lunch with the wife, and now I finally made it to work @ 6:30PM, I'll be here until about 11 or midnight to work on my project....ick......

I'll look at the problem on Sunday, no idea what it is, I'm halfway thinking my electronic D-Jet triggering modual puked on me, but it seems unlikely both sides would cr@p out at the same time since they are seperate circuits unsure.gif wacko.gif
Eddie914
Bummer,

I'm hoping the "simpler is better" is going to keep my 2.7 Weber track car running.

I've only had the 914 for a little more than a year ... hasn't let me down yet! Knock on wood!

Eddie

ps: just moved the fuel pump up front last week.
scotty914
mike could have pulled the rotor cap and temp. blocked one of the sensors to fire the injector and listened for the injectors to fire
TravisNeff
bummer deal, but I do have to say our teeners always look great riding on the AAA chariot!
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Mar 26 2005, 09:04 PM)
bummer deal, but I do have to say our teeners always look great riding on the AAA chariot!

Bite your tounge trav!!!!!!
Mueller
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Mar 26 2005, 08:01 PM)
mike could have pulled the rotor cap and temp. blocked one of the sensors to fire the injector and listened for the injectors to fire

yes, I could have done that, but it would not have helped me much, if it's broke, it's broke and nothing I could do on the side of the road

like a dumbass, I left the original dizzy at home and had no tools with me except a screwdriver and a pair of scissors wacko.gif

since I had to put a jumper on the fuel pump relay, I'm thinking it's ECU related...I might have fried it with my mickey mouse engineering, but I don't think I did, or at least I hope not....anyone got a good 1.7 ECU?? smile.gif

neo914-6
pair of scissors
confused24.gif emergency haircut? laugh.gif
Sorry about the misshap, It's never fun being stranded...
scotty914
no mike mickey mouse is my speed sensor for the suby. its a 555 timer kit modified to pulse faster that it was set up to, it was set up for for a min of a .5 second pulse at a min of 1.5 seconds between pulses. i have it running at 10 pulses a second lasting about .01 of a second each, the led on it looks like it is glowing solid until you look close.
CptTripps
AAA+ Rules. My grandparents buy it for me for christmas every year. Came in REAL handy when I had an 85 Saab the was always breaking down. I have a feeling I'll be using it this year. biggrin.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Mar 26 2005, 08:20 PM)
pair of scissors
confused24.gif emergency haircut? laugh.gif
Sorry about the misshap, It's never fun being stranded...

I was dressed for the drive home tonight, since no top, no window and no heat (header)...I had thermals on and a long sleeve shirt...I was baking in the sun, at least I looked good wearing my 914club hat and Fall Foliage shirt, LOL wacko.gif

McMark
What a bummer. I can't wait to hear what happened. We missed ya and toasted a burger to you. wink.gif Next time.
Mueller
QUOTE (McMark @ Mar 26 2005, 08:38 PM)
What a bummer. I can't wait to hear what happened. We missed ya and toasted a burger to you. wink.gif Next time.

speaking of burgers, my wife and I went to a place in Antioch today for the 1st time...Hazels, home of this big old burger (picture of half one smile.gif ) You can get it with up to 7 patties, the record a 5 patty burger eaten in like a half hour....
Allan
Looks like that thing was cut with scissors.
bernbomb914
dont feel bad mike it happens to me all the time either in the motor home or the porsche. I have both good sam and autoclub cards.

Bernie
Joe Bob
Nice rock dude....izzat the wife or the GF? cool_shades.gif

Yeah...AAA is a 914 owners best friend.....I hit the limit so much that I use the wife's card the first couple of times so I don't run out on mine....
redshift
Great looking burger! Oh yeah, sorry 'bout your luck.. anymore pics of that burger?

smile.gif

I'd like to pay someone to make my car be powered by anything but a Type IV.

M
JeffBowlsby
Mikey...that bling bling car looks like its doin' a 45 degree wheelstand... ohmy.gif
scotty914
QUOTE (redshift @ Mar 26 2005, 09:07 PM)

M

how much money are you offering, and is a suby 2.5 liter with aproxx 180 hp enough. stock hp around 165, then remove egr, cats and new exhaust should be worth 10 to 15 hp.
Mueller
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Mar 26 2005, 10:48 PM)
Mikey...that bling bling car looks like its doin' a 45 degree wheelstand... ohmy.gif

I originally requested a flatbed tow, this guy shows up with this rig and I was a little miffed at 1st, turns out it worked out perfect and took less time to setup as I thought it would.

The rear wheel dollies are pretty darn cool in how they work, might be a great way to make a towing setup for someone low on storage space....of course the front wheels would have to be on a tow dolly, but this will get all 4 wheels off the ground.

Mueller
QUOTE (bernbomb914 @ Mar 26 2005, 09:56 PM)
dont feel bad mike it happens to me all the time either in the motor home or the porsche. I have both good sam and autoclub cards.

Bernie

this was the furthest and longest duration/time the car has been driven, every mile I went without a problem was a milestone smile.gif

i'm betting it was my homemade triggering electronics, or at least I hope it was since it's an easy fix...I'll just put it back to stock for the ignition and sell the Mallory or use it for when I do the megasquirt again....
redshift
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Mar 27 2005, 01:58 AM)

how much money are you offering, and is a suby 2.5 liter with aproxx 180 hp enough. stock hp around 165, then remove egr, cats and new exhaust should be worth 10 to 15 hp.

Only conversion I am interested in, besides a million horses, and a ZF... and you know, I just drive back, and forth to work...

I definately have no time to do it myself, and don't think I ever will... drive yours for a while, and think about how much it costs.

I am about to need new injection, and prolly heads, I think I'm risher than hell on teh low end, and lean-lean up top.. I hear the clashing, gathering on the horizon.

Fuggin MPSs.

M
neo914-6
QUOTE (Headrage @ Mar 26 2005, 07:59 PM)

Maybe Mikes actually a "psycho" laugh.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Mar 27 2005, 01:34 AM)
QUOTE (Headrage @ Mar 26 2005, 07:59 PM)

Maybe Mikes actually a "psycho" laugh.gif

i've been called crazy and a lot worse than that wink.gif
neo914-6
Mike scissorhands... laugh.gif

btw, finally got a complete engine. If I weren't sick today I'd trial fit the tranny...
Joe Bob
QUOTE (redshift @ Mar 26 2005, 09:07 PM)
Great looking burger! Oh yeah, sorry 'bout your luck.. anymore pics of that burger?

smile.gif

M

Ship it out....I'll do it...drive it back.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.