Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How's this 450HP in a 914? Will it bolt up?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rupert14
Will this adaptor fit our porsche trannys? What do you think it really puts out? I like it. A litte earlier than I planned for my big HP conversion but I will see what his reserve is.

Bob

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...ssPageName=WDVW

Mueller
not sure if that particular adapter will work, if not, you can buy a new one from Kennedy for $450 or so with the correct flywheel.

the exhaust won't work unless you cut up the rear trunk......pretty cool motor and I'm sure it can produce that hp level, just for how long is unknown...pretty damn pricey but speed costs money smile.gif

a 200hp subaru motor will be plenty to start with biggrin.gif
scotty914
i thought all vw trans had the same bolt pattern

and 180 hp suby is fun driving.gif
jasons
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Mar 26 2005, 07:33 PM)
i thought all vw trans had the same bolt pattern

and 180 hp suby is fun  :driving:

Even if the bolt pattern is the same, the flywheel is still not right. The flywheel for a T1 is what like 200mm and the flywheel for the bus T4 is like 210? Then, bus T4's have a smaller flywheel than the Porsche T4's.

Something like that... I know the flywheel won't work though.
TonyAKAVW
I'm doing a lot of thinking/planning right now for my Subaru swap. That engine is capable of poutting out 260-280 HP stock. The single turbo version is very similar to the WRX engine and puts out 220 or so. Currently thats the engine I'm looking at using.

All of these are JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) engines and as such are not smog legal here. Which is great because they are cheap! I went to a place today to look at engines and you can get the single turbo engine for $650, $950 for the twin turbo, or $1250 for the Japanese WRX engine. The downside is that they typically don't come with an ECU or wiring so you have to start from the ground up.

http://www.nippon-motors.com

For the twin turbo engine there's a lot to do. Fiid, a user here is doing a twin turbo installation and his thread is interesting reading. He ran into problems with the starter motor interfering with the second turbo, and it looks like the exhaust construction will be tricky since the turbos are sequential.

As far as I know, KEP has adapter plates/flywheel combos for most of the Subaru engines.

I figure that to do a conversion like this, you need to figure maybe $2000 to $4000 depending on how you do it. I believe that a large part of the cost/work will be in the engine management system and wiring.

This place: http://www.outbackmotors.com/ has some nice motors that put out a lot of power. Also they have some good resources for wiring harnesses and engine management systems.

-Tony
scotty914
QUOTE (TonyAKAVW @ Mar 27 2005, 01:32 AM)

The downside is that they typically don't come with an ECU or wiring so you have to start from the ground up.  

I believe that a large part of the cost/work will be in the engine management system and wiring.  

-Tony

i would bet you could use a wrx harness and brain. as long as the maf or map sensor, are right for the brain, you might need to change things like the tps. also the sensors for cam and crank probably would work.

so the harness and brain are easy to get but trouble shooting the few sensors that "might" need to change would be installed on the motor already, so they just would be replaced with new ones.

fiid is having a problem with the TT due to the way they are controlled. they use a electricly controlled vacumn valve, if i understood what he told me.

edit: if you want more hp than a NA will get ya go 3.3 svx its 240 hp stock or a h6 3.0 ( the new 6 cylinder )
mrihop
That's a good engine choice for a 914. Relatively low torque, so the stock tranny will hold up, and peaky powerband making the stock gear ratios good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.