Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need racing helmet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Carlitos Way
As I put the final touches on my car in preparation for the WCC, I need to also get a helmet so I can partake in some of the driving events.

Could someone recommend a manufacturer (heck, even an e-bay auction) for a helmet that won't brake me? I still need to save up for a clutch... so $$$ is an issue.

Thanks in advance,

Carlos
Dave_Darling
I'd be leery about buying any used helmet, particularly one that I couldn't try on. Fit is critical for helmets...

If the WCC rules allow M-rated helmets, get yourself off to a motorcycle shop and try on some cheap Snell-rated motorcycle helmets. Talk to the guys there about fit. Open face is usually cheaper and lighter, but is less safe. (Probably "good enough" for the DE, but the question is if you want "good enough" or if you want better than that.)

And it's quite possible that someone at the event will loan you a helmet. Especially if you talk to them about it ahead of time.

--DD
Carlitos Way
Thanks Slits,

I really appreciate the input. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to buy the wrong type... since some of the ones you pointed out seemed to suggest they were for motorcycles... I wasn't sure what I would need.

I'll see you soon,

Carlos
SLITS
QUOTE (cmolina @ Mar 27 2005, 10:00 PM)
Thanks Slits,

I really appreciate the input. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to buy the wrong type... since some of the ones you pointed out seemed to suggest they were for motorcycles... I wasn't sure what I would need.

I'll see you soon,

Carlos

Your welcome....the one I bought was MA (motorcycle rated) which is accepted for AX. It will also be good for the track session at Willow. If I were truly racing, I would go for the $$ auto helmet SA rating.
Brando
Like Ron said above...

Also, most events will require a snell rating, 2000, and DOT approval. Full-face a must. Whether it be SA or MA is usually in the fine print, but the Snell 2000 and DOT hold precedence.

Another thing I noticed is if you run a car considered "Open" in some events (targas and cabriolets are considered open cars) they may require a viewscreen. Make sure yours comes with one, because if they're being stingy on the requirements you'll need it.
Carlitos Way
Pardon the ignorance... but what the heck is a view screen?

I'm about as green as they come with any racing....

C.
Brando
the clear plastic part that goes over the open part of the helmet. Call it what you want smile.gif
dinomium
If you have a ten dollar head, get a ten dollar helmet! Having said that, you can get a decent helmet from G-force racing. Check here (Safe racer dot com) the open face modles start at 149. I don't think you can do mecuh better than that...

I personally would buy the best helmet you can afford, because if you evern need, YOU REALLY NEED IT!
Hawktel
QUOTE (cmolina @ Mar 26 2005, 08:15 PM)
As I put the final touches on my car in preparation for the WCC, I need to also get a helmet so I can partake in some of the driving events.

Could someone recommend a manufacturer (heck, even an e-bay auction) for a helmet that won't brake me?  I still need to save up for a clutch... so $$$  is an issue.

Thanks in advance,

Carlos

Helmuts work off something called delamination

Even dropping a helmut can cause it to lose some effectivness.

I'd recommend you either borrow, or save up to get the right equipment. I think its been made pretty clear in the news lately that Brain damage sucks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.