Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV joint/axle orientation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jack20
I'm just starting a project to disassemble, clean, examine and grease my cv joints.
Assuming that the wear patterns are normal for the age of the car and no pitting or cage cracks are found, is it recommended to swap the axles end to end on the same side of the car?
Thanks in advance.
Jack
914Sixer
I swap end to end on the same side.
jack20
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 31 2016, 06:41 PM) *

I swap end to end on the same side.

Thanks Mark.
Jack
rjames
QUOTE(jack20 @ Mar 31 2016, 10:15 AM) *

I'm just starting a project to disassemble, clean, examine and grease my cv joints.
Assuming that the wear patterns are normal for the age of the car and no pitting or cage cracks are found, is it recommended to swap the axles end to end on the same side of the car?
Thanks in advance.
Jack

Unless you've got a low mileage car, or they were replaced previously, expect to find pitting and/or cracks.
Mark Henry
Axles absolutely not, they take twist and should be replaced exactly how they came out. On a stock /4 it may not matter, put some power to it and it may cause an issue. I always tag them.

CV's it doesn't matter.
914_teener
QUOTE(rjames @ Apr 1 2016, 09:49 AM) *

QUOTE(jack20 @ Mar 31 2016, 10:15 AM) *

Thanks in advance.
Jack

Unless you've got a low mileage car, or they were replaced previously, expect to find pitting and/or cracks.

I believe that anytime you observe wear on a hardened bearing surface they should be replaced.

What does that observation look like:

No signs of scoring pitting or chipping.

Any of those signs......they should be replaced. IMHO.
914Sixer
If the CV's are gone your ONLY option is to buy new axles. CV's are NLA. Shop around and you can get them from Porsche for under $300 each.
Mark Henry
Aircooled(dot)net has the GKN/Lobro type one CV's, for $75ea.
I thought they could be modified to work by drilling the 2 holes out slightly for the roll pin. confused24.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 1 2016, 01:16 PM) *

Aircooled(dot)net has the GKN/Lobro type one CV's, for $75ea.
I thought they could be modified to work by drilling the 2 holes out slightly for the roll pin. confused24.gif

agree.gif

BTDT

Three years no problems. Make sure they are Lobros tho.
914Sixer
You can go that route but why mess with the cost of the machining and assembly. You will not have a Porsche warranty.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.