Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Helping Joe with his car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
Went over to help Joe yesterday with his car and we were going to install his newly redone gas tank and set the timing on his car and a few other little things. It seems everytime I go over there and we start to do something, I find something else wrong or missing. This is the latest find. Do you notice anything missing?? No wonder it shakes when he drives it.
skline
The next thing was to install the Engman inner chassis stiffening kit. We were pulling out the back pad and the sound layer and I noticed this. The color code on the car is L13K which is yellow. There is yellow everywhere throughout the car except here. This threw me a little as it is signal orange all over the inside of the car under the black with traces of yellow throughout most of the rest of the car. Can you explain this?

skline
One more, I thought maybe it disscolored from heat but down by the shifter it is orange also.
scotty914
i wonder if when they built the cars they used what ever paint that was in the gun to paint the non visible areas. like under the tar, the upper dash area, back pad. that way they could paint it with out cleaning the gun, and just get on to tar and dash stuff, then come back and paint the visiable areas
SLITS
Other than the other half of the steering shaft clamp and bushing no. Was it an attempt to build a lightweight Teener?

The discoloration could be from the glue (NOT). The change in color was a factory error...they forgot to switch colors when painting that tub and rather than paint over it, they just left the firewall orange and painted the rest of the car the correct color...

OR

this was prototype #222269 in which they were testing different paints. How did Joe acquire this one....this was reported missing from the factory about 30 years ago.
JB 914
I think Hans was in a hurry to eat some Strudel and said Fuch it leave it Orange!! cool.gif

Seriously though...

The "bushing" or "Bearing" is it considered the "lower" one? Pelican lists an upper and lower, but, PET shows only one on the diagram and doesn't list upper or lower. wacko.gif

I'm assuming it's lower. unsure.gif
neo914-6
Strange color change, what's the color of the adjoining door jams and on the engine side of the bulkhead seat back panel? The po may have cleaned it up and spray canned it with whatever he had.
Whomever coated the gas tank area probaby forgot to replace the bearing clamp. What is that stuff, POR15?
SLITS
I believe it is also missing the "bellows" cover that goes over the flexible joint and shaft to "seal lol2.gif " the gas tank cavity from water intrusion.
skline
Joe did the POR-15 and didnt take that part out. He didnt even know there was supposed to be something there. I am the one who noticed it missing. Yes, the bellows is missing also. The clamp we took off so I could show him what was supposed to go there. PET shows one the one bearing but Pelican shows an upper and lower, which one would this be?
JB 914
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Mar 27 2005, 08:29 AM)

Whomever coated the gas tank area probaby forgot to replace the bearing clamp. What is that stuff, POR15?

It's POR-15 "battle ship grey" biggrin.gif

I put that in since i had leaks in the tank fittings and had a little surface rust. That stuff is pretty good.

The bearing was missing and Scott caught it before we put everything back in!! smilie_pokal.gif

SLITS
Since I am an opinionated asshole, I would guess lower as the upper would be in the steering housing column....easier would be just to take it off a parts car..........
JB 914
QUOTE (SLITS @ Mar 27 2005, 08:41 AM)
...easier would be just to take it off a parts car..........

You got one?

SLITS
QUOTE (joe buckle @ Mar 27 2005, 09:43 AM)

You got one?

I will look today...hopefully it is still there.....
JB 914
QUOTE (SLITS @ Mar 27 2005, 08:47 AM)
QUOTE (joe buckle @ Mar 27 2005, 09:43 AM)

You got one?

I will look today...hopefully it is still there.....

I will pay you in Pork Sandwiches chowtime.gif and Adult Beverages beer.gif
skline
Adult beverages, are those the ones with little nude figures floating in the glass?? laugh.gif
JoeSharp
Joe: I have everything you need here.
Joe
JoeSharp
icon_bump.gif Joe has PM
Joe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.