Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PCA 914 SIG
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SKL1
PCA has started a forum for 914 owners called 914 SIG. Just got a notice today saying my account was activated.
Curious to see if it will have much traffic as the 914 forum at rennlist is pretty quiet, especially compared to here!

Time will tell...
Cracker
I need another "forum" like I need a hole in my head...pass. I barely have time to look at the World...

Tony
PanelBilly
Everybody loves us
Larmo63
Now, everybody wants to be a cool guy 914 owner.
914_teener
I just want to be myself.

Everyone else is taken.
Elliot Cannon
WTF.gif Apparently, you have to be a PCA member to register. lol-2.gif
Cuda911
I predict the sound of crickets at 914 Sig.
EdwardBlume
Ah... To be a 914 owner in PCA... Good times.....
r_towle
NARF (not a real forum)
Mike Bellis
They got like 9 total posts and one of them is mine... biggrin.gif
KELTY360
Maybe we should start a forum for 911 owners. shades.gif
mgp4591
Aw nuts.... does this mean no more Franzia and Cheez Wiz? WTF.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Mar 31 2016, 09:18 PM) *

Aw nuts.... does this mean no more Franzia and Cheez Wiz? WTF.gif

You got that right....
EdwardBlume
I got an email from michael Souza referencing a little bird and Bob Saville. Maybe Bob can jump in and tell us what the real deal is?

Totally unrelated for sure, but interesting that the world site gets spam bombed the same day PCA is fishing for recruits. Just interesting.
SirAndy
Anyone got a link?
idea.gif
TJB/914
I was contacted, but I don't have time for another 914-Forum chair.gif

I like hanging out at big dog Sir-Andy's place. pray.gif

Tom
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 1 2016, 11:59 AM) *

Anyone got a link?
idea.gif

http://914.pca.org
mark04usa
Why would any 914 owner want to have anything to do with PCA??????????????
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(mark04usa @ Apr 1 2016, 12:33 PM) *

Racing, cross Porsche ownership, parade. Pete Stout. There are some highlights next to condescending 911 owners and wine tours.
SLITS

I've been asking that for a long time. barf.gif
sean_v8_914
yall stuck in 1980. it aint like that no mo...
naro914
Hey Guys (and gals)...sorry about that unsolicited email you all got from Mike. that was NOT authorized by me!! I got it too and asked WTF???

And NO, I have NO interest in starting another forum. In fact, that was my whole issue with what Mike put up there to begin with. 914world (and to a lesser extent 914club) are very well established communities that I have zero interest in messing with.

Unfortunately...I have been very lax in getting the PCA 914 Registry SITE (not forum) up and going...it's my bad on that. Yes, it is a PCA sponsored entity, but that's part of why I got involved (but again am doing a crappy job of it all) was to expand and help promote the 914 passion.

So...hold tight. My goal as I stated a long time ago when I was asked to be the 914 Registry Advocate was to join the communities and PCA together - especially here on World (which all of you know I frequent a lot!!)

I'll let you know what's going on as it comes...

Thanks!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 1 2016, 03:46 PM) *

Racing, cross Porsche ownership, parade. Pete Stout. There are some highlights next to condescending 911 owners and wine tours.

I get nothing but love from the PCA 911 owners. Probably cause me and Steve Nieslony spank them Fairly regularly on the AX course? driving.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 1 2016, 01:24 PM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 1 2016, 03:46 PM) *

I get nothing but love from the PCA 911 owners. Probably cause me and Steve Nieslony spank them Fairly regularly on the AX course? driving.gif

No, it's the tight shorts. Extra wax on the 911 Rob!
r_towle
QUOTE(naro914 @ Apr 1 2016, 04:08 PM) *

Hey Guys (and gals)...sorry about that unsolicited email you all got from Mike. that was NOT authorized by me!! I got it too and asked WTF???

And NO, I have NO interest in starting another forum. In fact, that was my whole issue with what Mike put up there to begin with. 914world (and to a lesser extent 914club) are very well established communities that I have zero interest in messing with.

Unfortunately...I have been very lax in getting the PCA 914 Registry SITE (not forum) up and going...it's my bad on that. Yes, it is a PCA sponsored entity, but that's part of why I got involved (but again am doing a crappy job of it all) was to expand and help promote the 914 passion.

So...hold tight. My goal as I stated a long time ago when I was asked to be the 914 Registry Advocate was to join the communities and PCA together - especially here on World (which all of you know I frequent a lot!!)

Thanks!

Your fault, got it. beerchug.gif

Now, for marketing purposes I might suggest you make it an open forum that does not require PCA membership to log in and view it....it may attract more people, enhance the PCA brand, and potentially help gain new members...
Cracker
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 1 2016, 07:41 PM) *

lol-2.gif av-943.gif slap.gif

T
SKL1
Boy, I opened up a can of worms here...

(when I joined PCA back when I got my 914, many in the club didn't want 914's to even be accepted- that made it even sweeter when I beat them in autocrosses back in the early '70's. Obviously I love my 914's, but I also love most of what Porsche has produced, and at some time have owned most of them)
VegasRacer
QUOTE(914 Special Interest Group @ Apr 1 2016, 09:14 PM) *

Your account has been activated but you are currently in the moderation queue to be added to the forum.

Gee!?! I hope I pass the test. banned.gif
naro914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 1 2016, 08:41 PM) *

QUOTE(naro914 @ Apr 1 2016, 04:08 PM) *

Thanks!

Now, for marketing purposes I might suggest you make it an open forum that does not require PCA membership to log in and view it....it may attract more people, enhance the PCA brand, and potentially help gain new members...

the conflict I have here is that since it is a PCA site, and a PCA organization, there needs to be PCA membership. Again, it's not going to be a forum, more of a place to find 914 information, history, fun facts, consolidate 914 events and post info about them all, and a 'registry' of 914 owners with pictures of their cars. My plan is to basically make it open for all to view, but you'd need to be a PCA member to 'register' your car and post pictures.

I'm hoping to work with Andy on this and just consolidate some of the 914 info that's been gathered throughout the years here into easy to find tabs and menus. But we will also have a link for discussion leading right back here, where it belongs.

We'll see...

Either way, all of you hopefully know I'm loyal to here, but I am also a 24 year PCA member. My goal in taking this role (over a year ago) was to hopefully bridge any gap between the PCA and non-PCA 914 owners, and help promote the 914 to the rest of PCA. As has been said, my wife and I have NEVER had any negative association with PCA because of 914 ownership, so its still odd to me that many of you do...

ClayPerrine
For a long time Betty and I didn't join PCA because we heard all the horror stories about 914 owners being put down by 911 owners. After meeting a few PCA members, we relented and joined. Probably the best thing we did next to joining this forum. In the 15 years of PCA membership, I have made lots of good friends, and only met two assholes that were still clinging to the attitude of "914s don't belong in PCA, they are Volkswagens....". The first one was an old guy driving a 356, but I found out he said the same thing in 1965 about the 911, and the second guy was driving a 1980 924. Which I thought was a bit of an idiotic attitude because teh 924 was designed by Porsche for Audi using all VW and Audi parts. When Audi decided not to build it, Porsche then took it over.

Don't worry about the NARP factor. Lots of guys in PCA tell me "I used to have a 914, and I regret ever selling it." And others have a 911, but they have a 914 in the garage to go racing.

Q: What does a 911 driver say as he is going sideways off the outside of a corner?

A: "How the hell did that 914 manage to turn inside of me?!?!?!"
rhodyguy
"Fun facts" dry.gif . first.gif
Cracker
Wow! I'm a PCA member...I can't wait to see the 914 LS powered registry! You should call this section: "Performance Zone" (More Power - Less Maintenance -Better Sound)!

Don't just make it a P. Garvey site (= boring!)... shades.gif

BTW: All the "stories " of the 914 out performing 911's on road courses are more myth than fact. The teeners are usually embarrassingly slow (and in the way)!

T
r_towle
I was just taking the easy opportunity to sarcastically mess with you, in a friendly way...

I do mean it when I say you should fight to open it up for full access.
I have been a PCA member in the past, and did the autocross chair role for a while, but beyond that, I have never seen any value in membership due to the lack of 914 content, the somewhat special snobby nature of the organization. I mean that nationally only.

Our local regions, especially the leadership, is all full of current and former 914 guys, so they always come up and talk to me about the old days when they autocrossed 914,s

In our region there had never been a snobby thing about 914,s it's just old blood and most of them are gone now.

Trying to keep a club alive and attract new members is hard, so the national PCA should start opening up to add even more value and present more information to those who own the cheaper cars like a 914/924/944 a this time. These are the potential buyers of the future.

In order for the PCA to continue they need younger members. With the current way they are marketing they won't be able to maintain growth, or even a full roster. I suspect the numbers prove this true. We have seen it at our region, so things changed.
Our region is a lot smaller than most, so things like decreasing numbers appear faster.

Hiring Peter As the editor was a good move, and keeping articles in pano that reflect the DIY nature of many car nuts is important, and in some cases more than the new car reviews....certainly for the vendors.

Keep up the good work,

Rich
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Cracker @ Apr 2 2016, 09:43 AM) *

BTW: All the "stories " of the 914 out performing 911's on road courses are more myth than fact. The teeners are usually embarrassingly slow (and in the way)!

That is completely untrue.....

Betty and I have been working grid for the PCA club race at COTA for a few years now. A couple of years ago, we watched a 3.0L 914-6 lap half the field of 911 GT3 and Cup cars. The fastest 911 was half a lap behind.

Cracker
Clay - That would be extraordinary...so much so there clearly would be video of Cup ( and GT3's) cara being plastered by a 3-liter 914. I'll look forward to viewing the video.

The fastest 914 I've seen was driven by Pro-driver Sean Rayhall (currently a factory Delta wing driver). He holds the Road Atlanta record - more than 15 seconds off the fastest cup cars. Maybe DE drivers (at least 914's) are faster in TX. From my on-track experience - it speaks of wishful thinking (and/or terrible drivers - Cup). I deal with facts (actually lap times never lie)...driver "skill" has seriously eroded with all the "drivers aides" designed into modern P cars.

So. What we're the lap times Clay?

T

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 2 2016, 11:15 AM) *

Betty and I have been working grid for the PCA club race at COTA for a few years now. A couple of years ago, we watched a 3.0L 914-6 lap half the field of 911 GT3 and Cup cars. The fastest 911 was half a lap behind.
naro914
QUOTE(Cracker @ Apr 2 2016, 11:37 AM) *

Clay - That would be extraordinary...so much so there clearly would be video of Cup ( and GT3's) cara being plastered by a 3-liter 914. I'll look forward to viewing the video.

The fastest 914 I've seen was driven by Pro-driver Sean Rayhall (currently a factory Delta wing driver). He holds the Road Atlanta record - more than 15 seconds off the fastest cup cars. Maybe DE drivers (at least 914's) are faster in TX. From my on-track experience - it speaks of wishful thinking (and/or terrible drivers - Cup). I deal with facts (actually lap times never lie)...driver "skill" has seriously eroded with all the "drivers aides" designed into modern P cars.

T

not sure how this derailed into "914 vs 911" on track, but....

https://vimeo.com/29219114
(note the cup cars these guys pass)

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6K78YKA9UE

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4CmbWqODXo
Elliot Cannon
Honestly, I couldn't care less which car is fastest. What impresses me more is which *driver* is fastest. These kinds of arguments are a waste of time. I will probably re-join the PCA. Mostly because the Porsche Club of America gets stronger with every new member. There is always some political hack who wants to make a name for himself by introducing legislation that would seriously restrict the racing, collecting, modifying etc. of cars. The PCA can be a strong lobbying group just like the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association and the Experimental Aircraft Association. So, my advice is to join the PCA.
EdwardBlume
I was a region editor and ran the AX series for a few years. The old guys back then were 356ers and were cool. The newbie 996 and Boxster owners were not. Witnessed a lot of spanking by 914s on everything.

Been in and out a few times since but with kids I have other things to do. Might join again for a reason, but not the 914SAG. At best it seems redundant like inventing a 914club or something. av-943.gif
87m491
Wow, a bunch of those passes were offline and still that driver can point and shoot. Seems to go, and slow with the biggest dogs in the vid. Sweet!

s
QUOTE(naro914' ='Apr 2 2016, 12:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Apr 2 2016, 11:37 AM) *

T

not sure how this derailed into "914 vs 911" on track, but....

https://vimeo.com/29219114
(note the cup cars these guys pass)

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6K78YKA9UE

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4CmbWqODXo

Mikey914
Does that mean we would actually own a real Porsche?
Just sayn biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 2 2016, 05:01 PM) *

Been in and out a few times since but with kids I have other things to do. Might join again for a reason, but not the 914SAG. At best it seems redundant like inventing a 914club or something. av-943.gif

Rob,

The 914 SIG has been around a LOT longer than 914World, 914 Club or even Rennlist.

Cracker
Hilarious. So your "counterpoint" is an example of video from "years ago" and of course the "Keith Peare" footage had to be presented as an example (no modern cup cars in his vid either). Too funny. BTW Bob - I got tired of watching the first vid halfway through and never saw either of them pass a Cup, In fact, I never even saw a cup - their fastest lap was 2:23 (Cup Car 2:09). BIG difference. Again, please use "lap times" - watching cool cars in a vid in and of itself can be misleading (and inaccurate).

Cool down and stop swingn' with your eyes shut. I said, "The teeners are usually embarrassingly slow (and in the way)!"...I didn't say there are NO fast teeners. None of these cars will run with a top flight, top tier driver, in a Cup.

Our teeners are cool cars and I've poured tens of thousands of dollars into one myself - mainly because of its "under-dog" status. However, for every "old" video ('08, '10, '11) you dig up - there a hundred 914's that can't get out of their own way. Please don't argue with utter truth - makes you look funny. shades.gif

Cheers!

T
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 2 2016, 07:02 PM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 2 2016, 05:01 PM) *

Rob,

The 914 SIG has been around a LOT longer than 914World, 914 Club or even Rennlist.

So was Betamax.

If you think we should all put annual dues into PCA and populate their 914 group, I'm all ears as to why.

In the same way, Bob S or Naro seems like a good man and for that matter Pete S too. If its to support them, I'd consider that as well.

r_towle
Rob, do it because it won't be the same without you.
I believe we may even get Dave to come back, at least until he hits 10k posts again.

Rich
naro914
QUOTE(Cracker @ Apr 2 2016, 10:12 PM) *

Hilarious. So your "counterpoint" is an example of video from "years ago" and of course the "Keith Peare" footage had to be presented as an example (no modern cup cars in his vid either). Too funny. BTW Bob - I got tired of watching the first vid halfway through and never saw either of them pass a Cup, In fact, I never even saw a cup - their fastest lap was 2:23 (Cup Car 2:09). BIG difference. Again, please use "lap times" - watching cool cars in a vid in and of itself can be misleading (and inaccurate).

Cool down and stop swingn' with your eyes shut. I said, "The teeners are usually embarrassingly slow (and in the way)!"...I didn't say there are NO fast teeners. None of these cars will run with a top flight, top tier driver, in a Cup.

Our teeners are cool cars and I've poured tens of thousands of dollars into one myself - mainly because of its "under-dog" status. However, for every "old" video ('08, '10, '11) you dig up - there a hundred 914's that can't get out of their own way. Please don't argue with utter truth - makes you look funny. shades.gif

Cheers!

T

Tony
Dude, Seriously? Stop...Comparing 40+ year old cars with new Cup car technology is apples to oranges....What's your point? (btw, did you watch the first video on Vimeo at all? Those first couple cars they passed WERE cup cars...)

But seriously, you can NEVER expect to compare 1970's technology with 2000+ technology...old 911's don't beat cup cars either....
Cracker
I didn't, Clay did...I never even brought them up. Read before reacting Bob and thank you for agreeing with me! slap.gif

Tony

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 2 2016, 10:15 AM) *

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.