Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: E Brake/Directional Flasher Etc.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
frankiec@outrageous.net
Went out this AM and started the car. Everything was fine. The e brake light flashed on the dash. When I released the e brake arm the e brake light kept flashing. It has always gone off so... I got out of the car to see if the brake lights were flashing when the e brake was off. They were not. I then tried the turn signals, left and right and they both were working properly. Is there any way to disconnect the e brake flashing warning light on the dash? Also, where is the flasher located. The car is a 75 with a 3.2 in it. Any help will be greatly appreciated confused24.gif

Thanks
Darren C
Sounds like the switch under the handbrake lever isn't "opening" (by pushing the plunger down) when the lever is dropped.
My best guess is that the lever has bent slightly with age and use and the bracket that pushes down on the switch that is under the lever is out of alignment.
Simple fix. Just bend it back.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Darren C @ Mar 31 2016, 03:17 PM) *

Sounds like the switch under the handbrake lever isn't "opening" (by pushing the plunger down) when the lever is dropped.
My best guess is that the lever has bent slightly with age and use and the bracket that pushes down on the switch that is under the lever is out of alignment.

agree.gif
Steve
Same symptom is the master cylinder reset switch. If you bled the brakes or replaced the master cylinder you need to push the reset switch on the master cylinder.
frankiec@outrageous.net
Thanks for the suggestions but not joy. The e brake arm is engaging the switch properly and the light still flashes. I put the p brake on and manually depressed the switch who no changes. The light is flashing and beeping when the car is on. The flashing light is no so much a problem as listening to the beeping! wacko.gif

Thanks

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Mar 31 2016, 02:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Darren C @ Mar 31 2016, 03:17 PM) *

agree.gif

frankiec@outrageous.net
Went out this AM and started the car. Everything was fine. The e brake light flashed on the dash. When I released the e brake arm the e brake light kept flashing. It has always gone off so... I got out of the car to see if the brake lights were flashing when the e brake was off. They were not. I then tried the turn signals, left and right and they both were working properly. Is there any way to disconnect the e brake flashing warning light on the dash? Also, where is the flasher located. The car is a 75 with a 3.2 in it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks to the folks who responded to my post but the e brake arm is not bent and the switch is being depressed when I release the hand brake. So... if anyone out there has any ideas please let me know. The flashing light is not that distracting but the clicking of the switch is really annoying. huh.gif
Garland
The switch under the handle, gos to ground. The switch may depress, yet not be working. It's a very simple design, tendency to fail. Held in by one screw.

Click to view attachment

The wire to the switch ( if grounded along the way will turn on the light) runs along the left side of the seat, and behind the seat, to the center tunnel. In most cases, the wire is just laying there, or under the carpet as it should be. Easy to short out.

Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
same with my 75, i removed the bulb from the gauge for that ebrake flashing light.
Darren C
Then you have a short to ground on the cable/circuit that operates the light & buzzer. this could simply be the switch under the handbrake shorting to ground. Take out the little screw holding the switch to the floor and lift the switch out a little into mid air, turn on ignition and see if it still buzzes. If it stops then the switch is at fault. If it still buzzes then you're going to need to check a few other things.

If it's not on the handbrake switch side or cable feeding it, there is a twin yellow/brown cable that runs to the seatbelt relay under the passenger seat. (upper most pin on relay closest to door) if you have a short to ground on this wire it will do the same.

Another check is pull the cable off the master cylinder switch, turn on ignition and see if the buzzer stops between holding the cable to ground and in air. (you may have a defective switch)
sb914
icon_bump.gif
frankiec@outrageous.net
Thanks all, going to work on it tomorrow, Sat. and hopefully solve the problem.

Again, Thanks
frankiec@outrageous.net
Not had much luck resolving the e brake switch problem. Went to Pelican and they have a switch but it's similar but not guaranteed to have the correct fitment for a 914. I guess my question as this point, is there any way to disconnect the e brake switch without affecting anything else and stop the flashing light on the dash and the clicking that occurs when the e brake light flashes. My e brake works fine and I can easily do without the flashing light and the clicking noise.

Thanks
Steve
The eBrake switch is to ground when actuated. If you disconnect the switch, the flasher should stop. If it doesn't you got other problems. Check the master cylinder switch, etc.
Valy
Please don't drive the car!
Your ebrake is probably fine. The other reason for the warning is more important.

The reason for the warning light is low pressure in your brake system. You need to check your brakes, bleed them and then reset the pressure sensor on the master cylinder. The warning was triggered when pressure dropped in the braking hydraulic circuit and you must fix the cause.
Check that all your calipers and master cylinder are dry. Check that the pedal cluster is dry. Bleed the brakes.
frankiec@outrageous.net
I'm on it.

Thanks, Tom

QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 3 2016, 11:39 AM) *

The eBrake switch is to ground when actuated. If you disconnect the switch, the flasher should stop. If it doesn't you got other problems. Check the master cylinder switch, etc.

kellygeorge
Did you figure out a solution? I just woke up to the same problem. Depressing the switch manually does nothing.

Here is a video of my issue, I assume it is the same as you. But mine also has the (G) alternator warning light illuminated. My question is if these two lights are related, or if I have two very different problems.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bw10m278d0de5u8/V...2%20PM.mov?dl=0
Spoke
QUOTE(frankiec@outrageous.net @ Apr 3 2016, 02:14 PM) *

...Went to Pelican and they have a switch...

Unless you verified (tested) the switch, do not buy a new one. It had been mentioned before to pull the existing switch out by removing the securing screw. With the switch floating in space, if the warning light is still flashing, the switch is not the issue and can be re-installed.

What year is your car?

Look at the master cylinder and remove the wires connected to the switch. If the warning flasher stops, then you've found the issue. Some MC switches have a reset button that will stop the flashing.

Eliminate one variable at a time until you find the issue.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.