Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motor Installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Here we go folks. Here is the stand it was on in my garage.

Allan
Here is where we had to move it to.

Allan
Side shot

scotty914
it does not look right with out any oil on it
TheCabinetmaker
DDDDDAAAMMMMMMMNNNNNN. Hope it runs as good as it looks. smilie_pokal.gif
Allan
New Sachs clutch and pressure plate

Allan
Tranny bolted up, wiring harness on

Aaron Cox
laugh.gif so that is what easter is about?

looks good Allan!

cant wait to see it in 6 days smilie_pokal.gif
Allan
ready to go

i love porsche
oh that is orgasmic.... smilie_pokal.gif
morph
ohh that must be nice (the lift) i just spent last week rolling around on the floor with two jacks putting mine in.(and toughter) looks real nice btw
james

Allan
And the final outcome

Allan
From the rear

Allan
And finally

Allan
I'm tired. Gonna go home now. givemebeer.gif
skline
Allen, I hate to break this to you now, but your engine bar is in backwards.
skline
And in the picture showing the clutch, it looks like you are missing a piece (Very important piece) of engine tin.
Allan
Hhmmm, that is how the engine bar was installed when I got it. Aren't the clutch and speedo cables supposed to route through it? And what piece of engine tin are you referring to? If you are talking about the piece that attaches to the tranny for the clutch, I just haven't put it on yet. If that's not what you are referring to please elaborate.
ClayPerrine
The big hole in the engine bar is for the shift rod to go through. The little hole on the other side is for the speedo cable. The way you have it, you can't hook up the shift linkage.

The tin I think that he is referring to is the one that wraps around the rear of the cylinder head. It needs to be there to help with the cooling. You REALLY need it on that side 'cause that is #3, the hottest running cylinder on the car.

BTW.. I didn't notice the engine bar at first......

And I love the way the engine looks. Great Job..... smilie_pokal.gif

TheCabinetmaker
I noticed the missing tin on #3 cylinder too, but it looks like it's there on the pic with the backwards engine bar. I'll bet that bar could be turned around without dropping the motor.
SLITS
Allan,

Take the car up, put a 2X4 on end (one end on the ground and one end on the rear of the engine case)and let the car down so the engine rests on it. Unbolt the engine bar and turn it around. Like they said:

Big hole - shift rod

Little hole - speedo (and clutch cable if you wish)

Also, find that piece of sheet metal that covers the rear of the cylinder head.

Otherwise, we gonna have to start calling you "Wrong Way Allangan" biggrin.gif
scotty914
minor high jack... speaking of engine bars i broke mine today mueba.gif after trying for weeks, i was going to reinforce it anyway but i wanted to see how well it could hold so after a bunch of full throttle accels driving.gif it broke, but it will be fixed in 15 of work and reinforced in another 15 welder.gif
Allan
Okay guy's, the engine bar I can deal with (although it seems like an awful small hole to feed the speedo cable through. Raise car, hold motor with jack, swap bar around. As for the engine tin, I have every piece specified in the PET except the lower heat shields that bolt to the case and H/E's.

skline
Ok, that looks good, when you turn the engine bar around, the speedo isnt the cable that goes through the small hole, its the clutch cable that is supposed to go through there. The speedo cable goes on top of the bar. I dont know why but everyone I have ever done is that way. There should also be a short heavy rubber sleeve that is on the clutch cable that fills that hole and protects the cable from rubbing.
TheCabinetmaker
That small hole is for the clutch cable only. The short piece of "hose" around the cable fits in that hole.
Allan
I can do the bar swap, no problem. I don't have that rubber piece for the clutch cable though. I can probably find a grommet that will fit. Scott, you scared the living crap out of me about the tin. biggrin.gif
skline
Sorry, its just that I have done so many, I just know what is supposed to be there and I didnt see it in the one picture and I know it is supposed to be there. As mentioned, it is one of the most important ones to have. As for the plates underneath, I have seen more without them than with them. Seems even the dealer mechanics would leave them off when they worked on the cars. I run them on mine and always have but have seen tons without them. You can just cut a piece of hose and put it on there. Its just to protect the cable. Imagine how Joe feels when I come over to work on his cars and find stuff missing. Like the steering shaft bearing yesterday. If he didnt have the tank out, I would have never known and he would have driven it without it and lived with the shake. No telling what would have come of it.
redshift
It looks great though...

smile.gif

M
nebreitling
i'm ashamed of the way my rebuild looks, now sad.gif
Allan
huh.gif Miles, are you trying to flatter me? I saw your picture, and there is no way I would give you a feelie hug. But thanks! I wish you were close enough to be there. rolleyes.gif
redshift
heh... fine, I don't want to smell the raw fish anyhow.. SAILOR!

laugh.gif

M
Allan
Oh you, when are you going to come back and finish those floors?
redshift
pray.gif -licks floor-
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.