Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cure worn valve stem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michelko
Hi all,
i found this on two valves on set of spare heads. The valve stem is slightly worn out as shown on pic. Is it possible to cure this in a cheap way using lash caps ore the 911 swivel feet? The heads itself look just fine. DonĀ“t want to throw much money to get them complete rebuilt.

Thanks for your advice.
michelko
nother view.

smilie_flagge6.gif
MecGen
Hi
I guess you can try a valve cap. They sell all over the VW sites, And yes you can go with a 911 swivle foot
But when mine did this it got worse quick, Caps are old school, don't even know if they still use them. Mark will give you the scoop if need be.
Your problem is with the valve loosing its hardening spec, and pounding out, left untreated, can get pricey.
Regards
Joe

beerchug.gif
DBCooper
Lash caps are still used on VW's, mainly by drag racers using lots of spring pressure on stainless steel valves. It doesn't look like the top of your valve has mushroomed, so you should still be able to get the caps on. Don't wait much longer though, once they start to go it doesn't take long. Joe's right, get them at most good shops doing old aircooled VW's (like BAS/Ahnendorp at +492874-4047), or if they can't help in Germany then Gene Berg Enterprises in Southern California has them for sure. And new adjuster screws, of course, swivel or not.
michelko
ordered a set of lash caps and new adjuster screws.
Hope this helps a little.

smilie_flagge6.gif
sean_v8_914
dont forget teh rocker shims. you will need to shim up teh rocker assembly to compensate for teh added thickness of the lash cap. swivel feet also raise the assembly up a tad
michelko
QUOTE (sean_v8_914 @ Apr 2 2005, 08:13 AM)
dont forget teh rocker shims. you will need to shim up teh rocker assembly to compensate for teh added thickness of the lash cap. swivel feet also raise the assembly up a tad

How much for the shims? As much as the caps are thick?

smilie_flagge6.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.