Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vellios Trans - shift linkage set-up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage

To those that have a Vellios Trans,
I need an little advice on how to properly set up the
linkage.
In my current set-up , I have a hard time getting 4th.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

RonS ,914RS and Ixtpid, can you chim in?

Thanks biggrin.gif
Series9
Sorry for the delay, Peter. I've been out for most of the weekend.

I don't have great advice. I kept messing with it until it worked.

John
What setup do you use?

I'm using the vellios parts on a 915 geatbox. I use a 915 shifter housing (with short shift kit and the 1-2 spring lockout).

I use a straight rod from the shifter to the firewall. From the firewall back, I use a straight rod (some prefer one with a slight bend) with the factory knuckle (and boot) at the firewall.

Make sure you use new bushings everywhere. The only "adjusting" in my setup is the pinch bolt/splined rod right under the shifter. It took a few tries, but if I could get second and reverse, fourth is the same (unless the shift forks are not set right).

My biggest trouble was finding the "middle gate". That is why I went to the spring lockout type device. I do like that thing. It is kind of expensive for what you get, but it does help me.
Johnman and 914RS,

Thanks for the response.

Johnman,

Your set up is very close to mine.,
I tried 3 hours today to set this up. Some times I could get 1-2 to engage very smooth, but then 3-4 was very difficult.
While other times 1-2 was difficult and 3-4 was smooth.

It drove me nuts. I do not have the 'fine' spline adjustmets on mine..maybe I'll run down to the local machine shop to have them fab this.

Thanks,

smile.gif
RON S.
I can't give an opinion of shifting my 915 box with a shifter,cause it hasn't got one in it yet laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
.I'll be buying one of Jame's shifters later in the year,and then I'll work those bugs out.

I can tell you my engine/trans are in my car,and I can hand shift thru each gear w/o any problems.
I must of assembled & taken the trans case apart 50 times to get it to work.
I found in mine that a rebuild job on a transmission must go beyond just synchro's & bearings.
Most 915 cases are probably completely worn out when we get a hold of them.I re-bushed the internal shift rod bores.That helped the shifting.Then I took a look at the sliding sleeves,they were shot,and replaced.150.00 a pop.Then the shifting was a little bit better still.
Lastly,I fiddled w/the Vellios shift rods,filing here,adding a weld bead there,and finally it could be shifted by hand.I bet I spent 3-4 month's farting around w/it.Real pain in the ?But,I already had the unit so I might as well use it.
Thing is,every joint that moves needs to be tightened up so it's linear motion doesn't have any slop in it.
once the slop is out,the shifting is livable.

Ron
Ron,

Thanks for the input.
John
So is your difficulty in side to side or fore and aft?

It almost sounds like your side to side movment is somehow the problem.

Can you simply not select the gears?

Is it too stiff to get "into" the gears?

Without running the car, it will be "stiff" due to the sliders not wanting to compress the synchro bands or the dog teeth very well.

I have felt (even with 901 boxes) that you could easily slide the shifter from the forward to the rear in one gate, but it was difficult going to an adjacent gate.

This is normal. You can "align" the dog teeth with the slider by selecting the two gears in a given gate which will slightly rotate the gearset to align the dog teeth with the slider ring, but that will also mis-align the dog teeth on other gearsts.

Shifting while parked with the engine off will almost always cause this to happen.

When in motion, the gearsets are also in motion. When the gearsets are turning, and you shift gears, you move the shift lever which moves a slider ring off of one set of dog teeth and off of the synchro ring (brake band) and toward another set of dog teeth. As the slider moves toward another set of dog teeth, the slider ring must compress the synchro ring (brake band). The compression of the synchro ring "matches the speed of the slider ring to the gearset and dog teeth. When enough force is applied, the slider ring compresses the synchro ring (brake band) and then engages the dog teeth. Grinding occurs when the slider ring and the dog teeth are not "speed matched" and the teeth make contact with each other.

I hope this doesn't just confuse the issue.

Series9
I got to deal with this again yesterday.

I received my new 915 WEVO shifter and had to start the adjustment over again from scratch.

I put the tranny in 3rd and put the shifter in 3rd. Then I went under the car to the shift coupler and tightened it up with the 'rotational' play on the tranny end in the middle of the field.

I got all the gears on the first try.
Series9
It just occurred to me.

Do you have a 915 shifter? If so, do you have the L bracket on the back with the proper bushing down in the tunnel? It's similar to the early 914 tail-shifter set up. If you have a side-shift shifter, you would not have the tunnel bracket and bushing, and this would cause the problem you describe.

Just a thought.
John
I agree with 914RS, without that "L-bracket", shifting would be pretty sloppy.

I didn't even think about that.
Marv's3.6six
I too have the Vellios setup and the Wevo shifter, I highly recommend it or a similar gate shift kit like the seine systems kit.

There are some great options to make this system better. Jim Patrick (Patrick Motorsports) is a master at these Vellios systems, he has some pretty "trick" linkage kits and I recommend contacting him. Jim's kit is very precise and are adjustable for fine tuning.
Jim has my trans right now and is making me a close ratio with lsd upgrade. biggrin.gif

A main source of trouble on the Vellios trans is the bushing where the shift rod enters the case. When in neutral the shift rod should move freely up and down but have zero slop or side to side movement, an easy check by hand, and of course make sure all linkage bushings are good, not worn or sloppy.

Johnman,

Thanks for the excellant info... so of knew that, but your explanaton was great!

914RS,

I the problem is sort of solved for now regarding the selection of gears..I just needed to get additional 'adjustments' on the shift rod.
As for the Wevo Shifter, I also was thinking of that too.
Because the factory 915 short shifter in 2nd gear is too close
to my Cobra seat.

By the way, where did you purchase it - good price?

Marv.

Thanks for the insight regarding the l tab.. no my does not have that . I'm sort of copying my original 6's shifter configuration.

I had my local machine shop fab me an another design, if
my original -6 design does not work out.. will have to wait until
I actually drive to car for final 'test'.

Thanks for the input. drooley.gif
Series9
QUOTE (0396 @ Apr 1 2005, 10:33 AM)
by the way, where did you purchase it - good price?

$600. There's no better price.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.