was also nice to practice my welding

started out with a cheap a$$ jack
added some decent castor wheels, a pair of hinges and some square tubing
Jeroen
put the engine on top of it...
Jeroen
and lift biggrin.gif
Jeroen
still need to make some minor adjustments, but overall I'm happy with the result
Root_Werks
smilie_pokal.gif That thing rocks! aktion035.gif I love it! Hey, can I borrow it? laugh.gif
736conver
Thats awesome. What was the end cost. $50 $75 ??
SpecialK
Wunderbar!!

Brings it up to a nice "sittin' on a stool" height for werkin on! Got any means of locking it in the up position, just incase the jack bleeds down?
Joseph Mills
Is that wooden ramp in the background made of 4X12s? It looks huge. biggrin.gif

Oh... very nice engine lift.
Can I borrow it when Root is finished with it?
biggrin.gif
scotty b
ohmy.gif AWESOME smilie_pokal.gif , now my brains a werkin too!!
nebreitling
ship it overseas!! smilie_pokal.gif ohmy.gif
Jeroen
$50 is about right
the jack (about $25) was collecting dust since I got one of those fancy aluminium jacks for x-mas
wheels were about $20 (came off the furniture dolly I had the engine sitting on)
hinges were $5 or so and I already had the square tubing as well

just using a jack doesn't work in my garage, cause the floor isn't smooth enuf (the small jack-wheels get caught in the seems between the concrete tiles)

when I took the engine out of the car, I lowered the car+engine onto the furniture dolly, unbolted the engine and lifted the car so I could roll the engine out. It worked, but it sucked...

no provision to lock it in the up position (hadn't thought of that, so thanks!)
I guess I could always put a jack-stand in the middle, but I'll look into fabing something up

figuring out the geometry of the second arm was fun (it needs to move in the same radius as the jack-arm or the engine won't stay level)
slivel
I've used this for engines, transmissions and most recently installing a double wall oven. It's an ATV jack and I got it on sale at Kragen for $49.95.

Steve
madd_dogg_914
QUOTE (slivel @ Mar 28 2005, 04:41 PM)
I've used this for engines, transmissions and most recently installing a double wall oven. It's an ATV jack and I got it on sale at Kragen for $49.95.

Steve

Way to burst his bubble . . . sheesh!
skline
That is so slick, I wish I had the time to think of stuff like that. It would make it much easier to install and remove engines in these cars. Maybe you could patent that and start selling them?
Jeroen
I had seen those and considered buying one, but I was concerned the upright part of it wouldn't clear the transmission
and it still has the small wheels, like a regular jack...
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Mar 28 2005, 07:26 PM)
I had seen those and considered buying one, but I was concerned the upright part of it wouldn't clear the transmission

You are correct. the jack hits the tranni mad.gif
URY914
Jeroen,
Nice work, you're thinking like a cheap American 914 Owner. biggrin.gif

Why buy it when you can spend more money and time to build it yourself.

Paul beerchug.gif
ClayPerrine
I want one of these to go with my lift.

SpecialK
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Mar 28 2005, 04:36 PM)

figuring out the geometry of the second arm was fun (it needs to move in the same radius as the jack-arm or the engine won't stay level)

Well, looking at the pics, you 'nailed it'!

I've got an engine stand the PO made out of angle iron (holds engine w/front engine mount and tranny attached). I plan to beef it up a little, check some of the if'y welds, mount some gauges (oil pres./CHT/EGT) on it, and start and tune the engine right where it sits. I've been trying to figure out a way to modifiy the one I have already to collapse and lift kind of like you did....Actually, if you incorporated some means of solidly mounting the engine/tranny onto your lift (maybe something that bolted on "after" the engine was dropped).........hmmmm, idea.gif time to whip out Solidworks when I get home.
ChrisFix

Steve

Have you used that ATV jack for removing a 914 engine, and did it clear the tranny. PEP Boys has it on sale for $45 and it seems like it is a pretty nice fit for engine drops. Would love to hear any user experience.

URY914
The only problem with these super-cheap jacks is if they go bad, throw them away.
Some of the Harbor Freight jacks are the same. The seals suck, the piston is not polished to the same degree as a more expense one. They will probably lift engines and trannys for ever but you start lifting heavier stuff and they won't last.

I use a screw type tranny lift which I hope will last a long time. I got it at HF. It is a cheap POS but it has worked good so far. The casters are too soft (cheap rubber is soft) and it doesn't roll too well when loaded.
ClayPerrine
I have one exactly like that one. If you get the load off center, the back of the lift will come out of the track. I had to put a piece of allthread between the two plates to get mine to stay together. It also jams and won't go up or down when loaded with a 4 cylinder engine and trans. I won't try it with the /6

bperry
For those of us that are welder challenged, you can have this bad boy
for $78 at Sams Club. All aluminum, metal wheels, lowers to 5 inches
and raises to 17 inches.

--- Bill
Dr Evil
I wish you were my neighbor. That thing is awsome!
Jeroen
QUOTE (bperry @ Mar 29 2005, 06:41 AM)
For those of us that are welder challenged, you can have this bad boy for $78 at Sams Club.
All aluminum, metal wheels, lowers to 5 inches and raises to 17 inches.

Yep, that the one I really wanted...
Sparetime Toys posted his a couple of months ago

Can't find anything like it over here screwy.gif
Only thing I could find was the ATV lift
Plus this stuff is so much more expensive here
The ATV lift goes for about €120 and the alu jack I got recently was €350 blink.gif
(and believe me, I did shop around quite extensively before I bought it)

It's way to heavy to ship across the pond, so I basically was out of options...

If I could have bought one off the shelf, I would
Still I had fun welding this thing together welder.gif
porschenut
The Harbor Freight tranny jack worked once for me before the threads got buggered. I still use all-thread on the crossbar mounts and lower it onto a skateboard.

Your custom is way cool though. Wish I could weld better
URY914
What is that capacity of that pretty boy?

Paul
slivel
QUOTE (ChrisFix @ Mar 28 2005, 06:33 PM)
I've used this for engines, transmissions and most recently installing a double wall oven.  It's an ATV jack and I got it on sale at Kragen for  $49.95.

Steve

Have you used that ATV jack for removing a 914 engine, and did it clear the tranny. PEP Boys has it on sale for $45 and it seems like it is a pretty nice fit for engine drops. Would love to hear any user experience.

Didn't mean to burst Jeroen's bubble, but for those near a Kragen this ATV lift is a cheap alternative. I've used it to install my six and my 901 box - they fit OK. I used a piece of MDF on the jack under the gearbox and cinched everything down with a ratcheting nylon strap to be safe. It worked just fine. But my disclaimer is that I installled the engine separately first, blocked the flywheel end with bottle jack and wood and then used the ATV jack to slide the tranny in place. Haven't tried removing or installing the engine/trans as a unit. The ATV jack is rated high enough to handle the weight but the size might be an issue.

Steve
andys
Jeroens' got the right idea with those outrigger wheel locations. Problem with most of this stuff, is that they're too narrow once you get the engine/trans up high. If you're doing a V8, then I would be very apprehensive in using one. Funny though, that my Clymer's manual shows a pic of a /6 engine install using nothing more than a floor jack with the motor/trans precariously balancing some 3 ft in the air; WTF!

Andy
SpecialK
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Mar 29 2005, 07:18 AM)
QUOTE (bperry @ Mar 29 2005, 06:41 AM)
For those of us that are welder challenged, you can have this bad boy for $78 at Sams Club.
All aluminum, metal wheels, lowers to 5 inches and raises to 17 inches.

Yep, that the one I really wanted...
Sparetime Toys posted his a couple of months ago

Can't find anything like it over here screwy.gif
Only thing I could find was the ATV lift
Plus this stuff is so much more expensive here
The ATV lift goes for about €120 and the alu jack I got recently was €350 blink.gif
(and believe me, I did shop around quite extensively before I bought it)

It's way to heavy to ship across the pond, so I basically was out of options...

If I could have bought one off the shelf, I would
Still I had fun welding this thing together welder.gif

What better way to hone your welding skills than actually making something functional! When I was practicing my welding on some scrap, all I ended up with is.....ummm...art!
3d914
Jeroen,

You're design is cool. It has one distinct advantage over the ATV lifts (which I've used more times than I care to count) - it clears the tranny. The Sams Club lift shown appears to do the same.

The ATV lifts have the piston at a steep angle and it has to go in at an angle to clear the rear hub. One solution is to place a furniture dolly on top of the lift - perpendicular to it. Slide the lift & the dolly under the engine/tranny, and lift the dolly to mate with the engine. You can make positional adjustments as needed. Usually the lift will be sitting between the rear hub & the body, with the dolly perpendicular across it.

When you lower the engine the lift has to roll backwards slightly to account for the radius of the supports. Once down the engine is on the dolly, so you slide the lift clear. You can now freely navigate the engine tranny on the dolly. Just don't drive to fast down the driveway with the engine on the dolly - as its not licensed!

w00t.gif

Enjoy!
JmuRiz
That's sweet, once it's all optimized, you should post some measurements etc, so we can make our own monsters (with the correct radius etc). Unless the rest of you think that Sam's Club one is good.
Then again you could always use the basketball meathod, haha.
brant
Nice Jeroen.. very nice.

brant
maxwelj
Of course, there is this one on e-bay.. allbeit a little pricey..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...4553528386&rd=1
iamchappy
I will let you know how the lift table works I plan on using it for the install.
iamchappy
lift
sixnotfour
Slight highjack; iamchappy, what kind of car lift is you're 914 on?
iamchappy
Dont know, some old service station lift I picked up for 350 bucks, degrease a little rustoleum paint and wire brush and it looks and works great. Looks like I will have to raise the ears for enough clearance for the lift table.
watsonrx13
QUOTE (slivel @ Mar 29 2005, 11:13 AM)
QUOTE (ChrisFix @ Mar 28 2005, 06:33 PM)
I've used this for engines, transmissions and most recently installing a double wall oven.  It's an ATV jack and I got it on sale at Kragen for  $49.95.

Steve

Didn't mean to burst Jeroen's bubble, but for those near a Kragen this ATV lift is a cheap alternative. I've used it to install my six and my 901 box - they fit OK. I used a piece of MDF on the jack under the gearbox and cinched everything down with a ratcheting nylon strap to be safe. It worked just fine. But my disclaimer is that I installled the engine separately first, blocked the flywheel end with bottle jack and wood and then used the ATV jack to slide the tranny in place. Haven't tried removing or installing the engine/trans as a unit. The ATV jack is rated high enough to handle the weight but the size might be an issue.

Steve

Well, I bought the ATV/motorcycle jack and TRIED to use it this weekend to remove my engine/tranny... IT DOESN'T WORK The bracket that surrounds the bottle jack gets in the way underneath the tranny. Don't waste your money if you're going to use this specifically to remove/install the engine/tranny combo. But, it works great after the engine/tranny is out of the car and you're working on it later. BTW Steve, thanks for clearing up your 'successful' use of this jack, for the life of me, I couldn't figure out how you used it....
iamchappy
Believe it or not the best lift I have used to put the engine in is a hoist, I have used just about everything atv, jack, now the lift table. But the boom engine hoist is the easiest as it swings around the engine and you can tip and tilt it and effortlessly control the engine . I have the stock six mount and getting that little bugger mounting nub in and under to install the bolt is tough on a jack or ATV lift. The only thing bad about using the hoist for me is I have to drag it up a hill from behind the shed in the back yard.
Trekkor
Jeroen, that looks great. I might make one, too.
( since the waiting list to borrow it is so long ) biggrin.gif

To use it in your garage space or on any irregular surface, just lay out some thin plywood or paneling first. wink.gif

KT
J P Stein
This wurks.Scuse for the 99th posting of this pic. dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.