Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need a new fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
napasteve
OK so my new Tangerine Racing SS fuel lines are in place. As I didn't run my car for several months, the battery went bad (easy to replace with a new Optima) and my fuel pump (which I believe is original) no longer works.

I found a thread which has a very nice replacement setup:

Click to view attachment

Unfortunately it looks like I'd have to remove the seat backing upholstery in order to tighten the fuel pump strap bolt. I'd really rather not do that.

So my question is:

Is there a new replacement pump available (not a refurbished one from AA) that would fit in the original pump position?
914Sixer
If your car is a 73 that is not the stock location. Your fuel pump should be under the engine tray shelf just forward of the battery. The pump shown is for a 75-76 car. The pump is close to the location of the 70-71 cars. Lots of pumps on Ebay from $30-$200.
TheCabinetmaker
Look again Mark. That's mounted on the rear firewall. Lates were under the gas tank. You knew that beer.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Oops, reread your post Mark. I got ya.
Mblizzard
If you are sure it is the pump, bite the bullet and move it up front. Empty the tank pul it out and do it right. With summer approaching you will be happier.
JawjaPorsche
This picture is from my 914. I moved my fuel pump to the firewall 20 years ago and no problems of vapor lock since.

The original location under the battery area is too hot and hard to get to. I have replaced three fuel pumps which I contributed to the extreme Southern heat.

This location is much easier to adapt that under the fuel tank. So much easier to replace the fuel filter too. I used a coil bracket to hold the pump. Placed rubber between pump and bracket to help with vibration.

Sure you have to take out the back pad to put in the bolts for the pump but that is extremely easy to do.

I put large fender washers on the bolts for strength.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.