Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing transmission stub seals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wndsnd
I do not know if these seals were ever replaced but I do know they are leaking. With good advice from RTowle, I ordered the replacements and took a shot at replacing today.

I am not sure how to get the old seal out without damaging the sealing bore. I expected them to come out easier than I experienced, so before I mess something up I thought I would ask how you have done it.

Thanks
BeatNavy
Are you referring to the output shaft seals? If so: I've heard using a dental pick is supposed to work, but it didn't for me. They were stuck in there too tight. So I did what some others recommended. I very carefully drilled a bit of a hole in the seal and then sunk a sheet metal screw in it. Then I used the other end of a claw hammer to get leverage and pull it out.
r_towle
I use a large flat head screw driver being very careful not to scratch the surface they mount against.
Slowly pry it around the edge till you find a weak spot, then work on that area till it gets high enough up to grab it or get under it from outside.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.