Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: please help decide which P/Cs to use
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BK911
Sloooowly gathering parts to build an engine for my '72 1.7.
Have a set of 2.0 P/Cs but one cylinder is slightly oval. Barely out of spec.
Thinking of using what I have, or boring the cylinders and buy some pistons for a 2056.
If I decide to go 2056, who should I send the cylinders to?
Or just buy new P/Cs?
What would you do?

beerchug.gif
stugray
QUOTE(BK911 @ Apr 3 2016, 08:59 AM) *

Thinking of using what I have, or boring the cylinders and buy some pistons for a 2056.
Or just buy new P/Cs?
What would you do?

beerchug.gif

Assuming that you do not plan on using FI, then I would use the 2.0 Cyls bored to fit the 96s.
And order the Keith Black pistons from EMW.
And a cam from webcam (86b perhaps?)
However you will need to have the opening in the heads enlarged by a machine shop.
Someone else will need to comment on the wrist pin offset, but I believe it will work fine.
jcd914
Are the 2.0 P&Cs you have new? Why are they out of spec?

I would have trouble using an out of spec cylinder.
There was a period of time when I would throw an engine together with what ever used parts I had on hand and run it until it died. I had the time and space and energy to have multiple spare cars and/or engines and so downtime for one was not a big deal. Now I have neither the time or energy (or money) to be doing things more than once.

So save your self a headache, time, money and get new P&Cs or have the 2.0 cylinders bored and use 96mm KB pistons.

The 1.7 heads will have to be cut the same regardless of 94mm or 96mm pistons.
Get the heads done by someone that knows type 4s, the heads are key.

You can use the FI with 96mm pistons, the small bump in displacement is not usually a problem for D-jet but you do have to use a cam that is compatible with D-jet.

Jim
Mark Henry
QUOTE(BK911 @ Apr 3 2016, 10:59 AM) *

Or just buy new P/Cs?
What would you do?

beerchug.gif

You can't run stock 94mm pistons with a 1.7 66mm crank, pin heights are different.
2056cc is the 71mm 2.0 crank and rods with 96mm pistons.
IIRC 1911cc is the 96mm and 66mm 1.7 crank.
BK911
Sorry guys, I left out some important info.
I bought a core 2.0.
Original engine will be wrapped and put on pallet.
New engine will be built on a case and crank (bought from john) using most of the core 2.0 stuff.
Empi 40s will be the induction.
Still need P/Cs and cams.
Enough money in the piggy bank to get the P/Cs now so need to figure out what to buy before money is spent on beer. : . beer3.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(BK911 @ Apr 3 2016, 03:40 PM) *

Sorry guys, I left out some important info.
I bought a core 2.0.
Original engine will be wrapped and put on pallet.
New engine will be built on a case and crank (bought from john) using most of the core 2.0 stuff.
Empi 40s will be the induction.
Still need P/Cs and cams.
Enough money in the piggy bank to get the P/Cs now so need to figure out what to buy before money is spent on beer. : . beer3.gif

Then no question KB 96mm. EMW has a good deal, just under 5 bills for the set.
Valy
Don't build with an oval cylinder.
Last I checked, buying new 96mm cylinders or boring old 94mm to 96 was about the same. You will need new pistons any way.
For heads, the 2L are nice but have big chambers so increasing the compression above 8.35 is challenging. The 1.8L are good but the spark plug location is not optimal and valves are slightly smaller. The chambers are a good size to go up to 9:1 The 1.7 will not fit - need to be enlarged and you will want bigger valves and spark plugs still not optimal.

For the best bang/$ I would use the 1.8 heads with bigger valves.

Piston pin heigh must match crank radius.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.