Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm sportin' a rear spoiler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
Here's a shot, it was almost dark out, sorry.

KT
ChrisReale
I like it. Plan on keeping it black or paint it to match?
Trekkor
Black and white theme goin' here.

Black Sweeper Dam, rockers, roof and spoiler.
White body panels.

KT
Aaron Cox
im gonna section the middle out of one and glass it in like ahhhhndy rolleyes.gif
SpecialK
Yeah, I'm going with Andy's design also. Had a "stock" ducktail on my '75 (PO installed), and outside edges of the spoiler f'ed the paint up when you closed the trunk.
nebreitling
looks nice, trek

now my real question: did you add the points?
Trekkor
Couldn't find a point upgrade for the 914cup and I classed myself with PCA-GGR as if it were already on the car. cool_shades.gif

KT

My GGR classing
nebreitling
just checking.... cool.gif laugh.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Trekkor
Good...Now send me those pics. dry.gif

KT
nebreitling
QUOTE (trekkor @ Mar 28 2005, 09:26 PM)
Good...Now send me those pics. dry.gif

KT

dude, i already tried once. your ghetto email barfed 'em back at me.

resizing as i type...
pete-stevers
hey trekkor it looks great!! but where did you get it and how much did it cost.... idea.gif
was there a lot of fitting involved???
Trekkor
It came off a parts car.

Fitting was drilling four holes. lol2.gif

I'll take a daytime shot before long.

KT
markb
How does it attach? I've got one for the black car, but I don't think there's enough on the ducktail to attach it well enough to the trunk. I think this one had been broken underneath and patched, but I can't tell.
sixnotfour
This Spoiler uses 20 screws, wacko.gif
Only one Ive ever seen , wonder why laugh.gif laugh.gif
J P Stein
Rice or race?

I'm spreading my AX trash talk around.....this looked like a good place for some laugh.gif
nebreitling
good job, jp. i think i'll join you:

"hey, trekkor! think that little tail can keep you from swinging your ass around on the track?!!!"

laugh.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Mar 29 2005, 01:17 AM)
.... can keep you from swinging your ass around on the track?!!!"

laugh.gif

OH...I didn't know the was one of those....not that there's anything wrong with that...... rolleyes.gif
Joe Ricard
Here is mine.
Trekkor
Yes, this is for spin prevention. cool_shades.gif

Daytime.

KT
Trekkor
Used BIG hollow wall anchors in the spoiler. Drilled holes through the trunk and stiffening ribs.
Cut all-thread to fit and fastened with nuts and lock washers.

Hooray.

KT
Mueller
that spoiler does a good job at increasing the value to stock lids smile.gif

at least you will have an effective air-brake for when you spin and go backwards biggrin.gif

Trekkor
yes and yes or
yes and no or
no and yes or
no and no...

Any questions? idea.gif

KT
Kerrys914
How about more details on the mounting bolts. I have a similar one that has some broken studs. headbang.gif
Trekkor
This is an anchor with a 1/4"x20 thread.

Drill the hole in the underside of the spoiler.
Insert anchor and tighten screw. As you tighten, the fluted part of the anchor draws to the screw head until it is snug.

I backed out the screws and cut lengths of all-thread to fit into the anchors. Spun on jam nuts to set the thread against the anchor.

Better ways, yes. This was my quick way. wink.gif

If it comes off, I'll tell all.

KT
seanery
Hey Trekkor, can you take a good shot of the Altissimo sticker on your car?
I'd like to add it to my gallery. I forgot to shoot it before they shipped.

Thanks!
Aaron Cox
i hate how the overhang past the edge of the lid...

thus... section out middle 6" and glass it into the lid itself..... ala ahndy smilie_pokal.gif
Allan
I'm sorry Trekkor, I saw it right after you started the thread and didn't respond. I really like it. It was one of the features I liked back in the '70's. It looks good. smilie_pokal.gif It'll come off.
9146R
Rear f/g deck lid and lower valence...
Trekkor
Sean, will do.

Aaron, why hate? ohmy.gif

Sounds like most people like it. I'll admit it's not my favorite. It is growing on me. wink.gif

I hope it doesn't come off. It is very tight and does not vibrate or budge at all.

Forgot to tell you, I also used peel and stick weatherstripping foam under the leading edge. Good and snug.

KT
DougC
Not to hijack the thread ...but... 9146R I'd like some info on your muffler, did you have it made, or? Awsome looking car BTW! Trekkor, I think that tail looks pretty sweet on your car.

Doug C
greg.treadway
user posted image
Trekkor
Greg, tell us more about the spoiler you are showing.

I've never seen that through rear deck cooling.
Any more pics of that?

KT

greg.treadway
It is a neat spoiler. That is the only pic I have of it installed. The pic is a little misleading in that it looks metal and is actually fiberglass. Comes in 4 and 6 inch height. I have a 4 in stock.
Trekkor
Is it expensive? I'm guessing $465ish for the whole deck and spoiler.

KT
greg.treadway
To give you an idea the ducktail to attach to the deck generally goes for around $185 and this one goes for $195.00. The ducktail lid combination goes for $375.

user posted image
Trekkor
That sounds like a very fair price. Thanks Greg.

That could be a nice alternative to putting a cooler all the way up front.

KT
seanery
the one greg has pictured is on Richard Clewett's car, it's from Roger Sheridan. Roger calls it "SCCA Legal Rear Spoiler" on his webpage. Ultimate 914 Bluecar is destined to get one, they are nice pieces. My mechanic in LA has the original prototype on his race car, they are nice AND effective.
seanery
Trekkor, that car is a turbo 6 and very, very customized. Richard is one of those smart engineering types. His work is phenomenal and is a very nice guy.
Clewett.com
greg.treadway
That is correct Sean. They are good pieces.
theol00
sooooo Trekkor - how much faster does it go?
Trekkor
how much faster does it go?

Way burnout.gif
Mueller
trek,

Rich has those 'Sheridan spoilers as well, I figured you'd had seen one already, I know there are a few local bay area 914s running them....I'm not a fan of spoilers, but then again, when my car is behind a AAA tow truck, not much use for one, hahahaha

Joe Ricard
QUOTE (trekkor @ Mar 30 2005, 08:08 AM)
how much faster does it go?

Way burnout.gif

Oh really????
I often wondered about that. My cow catcher air dam and duck tail spoiler make the car WAY more stable on the freeway. above 80 MPH.

Which means the extra drag is slowing me down. Since my son crusher the cow catcher air dam on a cone last weekend I switched to the original belly pan front cover. Car is now a litle more squirmy at 70 MPH I probably need to change rear deck lids to to balance the car.

Anybody with a rear spoiler find lots of crud pasted to the back of the car? Got caught in the rain last week and seemed to have picked up every piece or road dirt along the way. SOOO I guess the damn thing does something at speed. good or bad I don't know.

Now for Autocross I am pretty sure it just makes me LOOK fast. biggrin.gif
Trekkor
Now for Autocross I am pretty sure it just makes me LOOK fast.

Yes. I'm trying to intimidate Nathan, Demick, Andy and Randal. chairfall.gif

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.