Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT. bsme internship / junior engineer opportunity
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BK911
Looking for an intern or entry level HVAC engineer to assist me in my day to day activities.
Google SNS at ORNL in oak ridge TN to get an idea of work environment.
Daily duties include minor HVAC design, walking spaces, monitoring control systems, maintenance coordinating, and other duties as assigned.
Email me for more info.
AWESOME opportunity for somebody, the sky is the limit.
Must have bsme or a senior in a bsme curriculum.
Please help spread the word, these opportunities don't come up often.
BK911
Any takers?
JeffBowlsby
No one wants the title "Jr" engineer...
Mueller
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 7 2016, 08:27 AM) *

No one wants the title "Jr" engineer...

I was thinking nobody wants the TN in their postal address myself, hahaha

HVAC? The guys we like to blame when our machines aren't holding tolerances when the room fluctuates from 20C. smile.gif
BK911
Ha! Let's say entry level!
BK911
Less than an hour from the tail of the dragon. biggrin.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(BK911 @ Apr 7 2016, 11:37 AM) *

Less than an hour from the tail of the dragon. biggrin.gif

Really?

My colleague didn't mention that when he was there looking at some of your additive machines. I'm guessing nobody mentioned that "perk" while trying to steal him away from here!

BK911
Yea man! Tail of the dragon, blue ridge parkway, newfound gap, cherahola skyway, devils triangle, and MANY others all within an hour or so drive. That is why I moved here. Plus no state taxes. Cheap housing. Very low cost of living but the lab pays on a national scale.

You work at Los Alamos? What do you do out there?
Mueller
QUOTE(BK911 @ Apr 7 2016, 02:00 PM) *

Yea man! Tail of the dragon, blue ridge parkway, newfound gap, cherahola skyway, devils triangle, and MANY others all within an hour or so drive. That is why I moved here. Plus no state taxes. Cheap housing. Very low cost of living but the lab pays on a national scale.

You work at Los Alamos? What do you do out there?

I'm at Livermore, I repair all the machine shop equipment, drill presses, CNC's, additives machines, install and program PLC's, you name it. I mostly specialize in the electronics and control/computer side of things but I do mechanical repairs when our mechanics are busy or it's easier for one person to do it all. Our mechanics are mechanical only, us electronic guys do a little bit of both.

I think my co-worker thought about it for a bit, he did go look at houses there, maybe when his kids finally move out and get a more established in the real world.
mein_tag

I would be interested. Sr. undergrad Chemistry major, with a year in chemical engineering "before changing to Chemistry"... beerchug.gif
jd74914
Cool opportunity. Speaking from personal experience you can get a lot of exposure to different things from working experimental facility controls.

Wonder if there are any more national labs represented here? I'm hoping to do a stint at Sandia after finishing this degree.

Mueller, have you touched the "3D" PCB printer there were a few news articles about last month?
BK911
Sorry Levi, bsme required.
Sounds like a cool job Mueller. Sometimes I wish I had a job where I could work with my hands. Then I watch them do it, and glad I dont. smile.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(BK911 @ Apr 7 2016, 03:26 PM) *

Sorry Levi, bsme required.
Sounds like a cool job Mueller. Sometimes I wish I had a job where I could work with my hands. Then I watch them do it, and glad I dont. smile.gif

Some days are better than others, early this morning I was crawling around on my knees installing a new pump and getting wet with coolant..at least the coolant was brand new and it didn't stink yet!

The best are when I can just walk up to the machine and punch a few buttons to fix it!

I interviewed a few months back for a desk job for another department, I think the lack of a "real" degree prevented me from getting it but at least I was able to interview. I'm okay with not getting that position, if anything it helped me with my current position since I spent a few months brushing up on my electronics and electrical knowledge and I realized how much I forgot or didn't know!

Word of advise from any young guy or gals is to get a degree. I have a Certificate of Achievement from my A&P course and from what I was reading today I might just need 4 more classes for an Associate Degree which would help for future job postings since they really favor those with degrees here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.