Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Choices
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BeemerSteve
Hello all!

Just possibly found my clutch issue and it's leaning towards pulling the transmission or both. I don't have any pending issues with my engine but after checking my clutch tube and then my clutch cable which all checks out okay. So which brings me to the throw out arm that has that wonderful little cup that goes bad breaking apart and causing clutch issues.
Would it be easier to pull the trans or both and if I do pull the trans what things to I need to be careful while doing it? I've ordered a Tangerine Racing jack plate to help.
Thanks very much!!
Elliot Cannon
Pull it all out. And while you're in there... av-943.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 3 2016, 07:28 PM) *

Pull it all out. And while you're in there... av-943.gif

agree.gif
r_towle
Pull muffle and trans, quick project.
cgnj
My experience is that it is easier to pull the engine and transmission as a unit for a clutch change.
BeemerSteve
QUOTE(cgnj @ Apr 3 2016, 07:47 PM) *

My experience is that it is easier to pull the engine and transmission as a unit for a clutch change.

Is that because the separation is easier plus realignment of trans back to engine would be simpler?
r_towle
It's really not too hard leaving the engine in the car, but it's your choice.
BeemerSteve
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 3 2016, 07:53 PM) *

I think I'm going with leaving it (engine) in the car. I've done it that way with other cars but never a mid-engine. Although I don't see any difference anyway.
porschetub
QUOTE(BeemerSteve @ Apr 4 2016, 04:16 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 3 2016, 07:53 PM) *

I think I'm going with leaving it (engine) in the car. I've done it that way with other cars but never a mid-engine. Although I don't see any difference anyway.

having just fitted my engine/gearbox as a unit it makes sense that way,the best part is you can see the engine in front of you and replace those little bits and pieces you can't see when the motors installed.....no one will say this is to easy normally,its a small opening that the engine cover provides.
somd914
I've done a couple of clutch swaps with the engine in - I've found it faster than pulling the engine.
TheCabinetmaker
+1 on pulling just the trans. You'll need to support the engine in the rear. It also needs to be lowered slightly. Loosen the rubber motor mounts on the bottom of the mount bar a little too.
914itis
Agree. I did this 3 weeks ago.

You don't have to disconnect accelerator cable , gas cable, ECU, relay board. Just do as cabinetmaker suggested , support the engine where it connects to transmission . Easy in and out.
BeemerSteve
Thanks for all your great suggestions! It was also great to hear the small tweeks like loosening the engine mount a wee bit to lower the engine as I'm sure that would be something I'd encounter as one of those learning curves now eliminated.

Steve
Amphicar770
I did a first time engine / tranny drop recently. Gave me the opportunity to clean up everything and replace a bunch of old stuff like pushrod tubes, various gaskets, refinish the tins, engine rubber seals, etc. The list of "while it is out" items grows quickly.

The only downside I would see to dropping the whole thing versus just the trans is that the combined lump is a heck of a lot heavier and more awkward to maneuver. The tranny itself can be carried across the room by one person.
BeemerSteve
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Apr 4 2016, 07:40 AM) *

I did a first time engine / tranny drop recently. Gave me the opportunity to clean up everything and replace a bunch of old stuff like pushrod tubes, various gaskets, refinish the tins, engine rubber seals, etc. The list of "while it is out" items grows quickly.

The only downside I would see to dropping the whole thing versus just the trans is that the combined lump is a heck of a lot heavier and more awkward to maneuver. The tranny itself can be carried across the room by one person.

agree.gif The one thing that is giving me problems at the moment is the clutch issue but eventually the whole lump is coming out to then be cleaned and put back into a fresh tub that I'm restoring. But very good point!!!
r_towle
The biggest issue that I have run into, and many others, is when you take out the whole package you WILL get sidetracked into a deep dark rabbit hole regarding the list of things to repair "while you are in there"

A clutch job is really a one day project, out then in.
Might take a weekend if you take your time and life intrudes on your schedule.

Pulling the whole motor could stretch into a month or several years.....seriously.

If you have a clutch problem, and you are certain you do not need to deal with the firewall where the clutch tube comes out, then the motor does not need to come out.

It's a clutch job, plain and simple.

Remove the battery
Remove the muffler
Remove the shifter bar
Remove the reverse light plug
Remove the starter
Remove the speedo cable
Remove the clutch cable
Disconnect the two axles at the cv joints on the tranny
Remove the tranny ground strap !!!!!!!!
Remove the rear valance under the bumper.

Put a floor Jack under the rear of the motor, not touching the transmission.
Remove the rear transmission mounting bolts.
Lower tranny one inch
Remove the four bolts that connect the tranny to the engine
Lower the tranny a lot to make sure it clears the rear bumper.
With nothing supporting the tranny and the Jack under the engine you will now be able to pull the tranny out.
It weighs about 70 lbs and can be done on your back under the car.
It's a good idea to have a block of wood or something to drop it down on.

You need to pull it out about 3-4 inches to free it from the engine.
There is a pilot shaft you need to ensure clears the bell housing before you drop the tranny front down, so look at some pictures to see what I mean, don't drop it.
r_towle
Btw, a good shop might charge you four hours, maybe five to do this, plus parts.

I suspect someone good with a lift could have the tranny out in 45 minutes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.