Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear coil over shocks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jack20
When I bought this car 1.5 years ago the rear was sagging. I knew a little less than I know now so I had a shop install new weltmeister 100 lb springs.
Now I'm a bit smarter, have the engine out and am suffering from "might as well do this while it's easy" syndrome.
I'm sure these shocks are toast but the spring are new. Question is, how do these spring perches work? I see shocks for sale that are similar to OEM, in other words not super stiff, that don't have the perches. I don't see how mine can be re-used how do they fit on new shocks?
I'm looking for an OEM ride.
Thanks in advance for your help on what is probably a basic question. Here' a pic of mr current setup.
JackClick to view attachment
Mblizzard
Can't tell from the picture but most stocking shocks like KYB have have the perches built into thr shock and they are not removable.

If you have new coil over shocks they should have adjustable perches with them.Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
On the top of the shock there are those rubber donuts. Those slide off. After that, the top hats are held on by that silver "hat" nut piece that has the two slots for wrench fitment. Those come off too, but be careful when you get to the end, because the springs are under tension. You may want to have a shop do this part. Your new shocks can come a few different ways depending on which shocks you buy; some Bilsteins come with adjustable snap rings, etc.

Boges are fine, Koni and Bilsteins are better. Stay away from KYBs. 100 lb. springs are not the stiffest out there by a long shot.

Determine what shocks you want, and have a shop install the springs onto them if you aren't sure what you are doing. Installing them onto the car is easy.

Good luck. I hope this helps.
BeatNavy
Are those KYB's painted orange? When I swapped out my KYB's for Boge (like you, I was just looking for a good stock ride, better than KYB), I had to buy a couple of parts that are NLA. Specifically # 3 through 6 in the picture below. KYB has that perch (#3) integrated onto it, so you definitely need to buy one when swapping it out for something like Boge (unless they come as part of a different solution like Mike mentions above).

Click to view attachment

Lawrence is right about the springs, although you can borrow a spring compressor from a FLAPS to do it safely.
jack20
Thank you all.
The shocks pictured are Boge. They and the front inserts are/were in the original orange color. I replaced the fronts with NOS Boge inserts bought from a member. I want to use Boge shocks for the rear but the ones I've seen don't have the lower perches.
Rob, what shocks did you buy to replace your KYBs?

Thanks for the info and tip about the compressor, Lawrence. I've done this on vintage BMW motorcycles but I'm sure my compressor isn't up to the task. I'll rent one.
6freak
I see alot of threads ,probly wont need a spring compressor if theres still lots of tention on the springs when you get close the the end of the threads STOP and then get the compressor...super easy

smile.gif
MarkV
I have the same orange Boge shocks on my car. I notice last week that one of them is leaking. Sachs makes a replacement shock for 914's. There is a dimple in the lower part of the Sachs shock that I think retains that lower black hat on the stock Boge shocks in your photo. I could be wrong. I am looking for something similar to stock and don't want to use KYB's.
jack20
Thanks all.
Got the old shocks stripped of the upper an lower spring perches and ordered new Boge replacements today. Like most things with these cars, it was easy once I got into it.
Jack
Larmo63
I "sprung" for these on my black car. Nice ride!!!

Click to view attachment
914ohana
Larmo & Mblizzard... who sells that coil over kit? Is that the one from AA?
r_towle
bilstiens sell rear shocks with an adjustable stock diameter perch, I have them.

100 lb springs are fairly easy to remove with just your body weight.

mepstein
QUOTE(914ohana @ Apr 7 2016, 03:13 PM) *

Plenty of others besides AA. I googled it and came up with elephant racing. I'd rather buy from chuck at elephant than ....well, you know who .
jack20
Thanks for all the replies. I ended up buying Bilsteins with the circlip adjuster.
Now I'm wondering what groove to use that is closest to stock ride.
I actually ordered Boge but the on line seller emailed and advised they were out of stock and offered to sub the Bilsteins for the same price. My lucky day.
914ohana
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 7 2016, 03:41 PM) *

Plenty of others besides AA. I googled it and came up with elephant racing. I'd rather buy from chuck at elephant than ....well, you know who .

Called AA and even there's comes from another source.... pelican, paragon, patrick motor, and elephant all sell their versions... I have a set of bilsteins with no perch's (lost?) so thought the coil over kit would be the alternative to finally use them...hehe
Mblizzard
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 7 2016, 05:41 PM) *

Got mine from member here. No disrespect to any vendor but when it comes to something as potentially complex as after market suspension I would go with a vendor that specializes in suspension. If you know exactly what you want shop for the price. But if you need help, while you pay for the knowledge, go to the experts.
Larmo63
I bought mine from Rebel Racing. These are 200 lb. springs, set on the lowest setting.

Perfect transaction and support from these guys, I ordered them and they shipped super fast.

I was so excited to get them onto the car, I put them on in the dark. (almost)

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.